The one that got away: The DoddBUSS....

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
The one that got away: The DoddBUSS....
« on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:38 am »
Jason is gonna love this puppy:

Everything in this very special BUSS has been cryogenically treated.  Pass & Seymour 5362A receptacles,  Neutrik 32A Powercon inlet and some special sauce internally.  All of this is wired with Triode Wire Labs 12 ga wire from inlet to receptacles.

Thanks, Pete and thank you Jason for stepping up to help one of the Good Guys.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Dave

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: The one that got away: The DoddBUSS....
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:55 am »
That's a beauty!!!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:18 am »
That's a beauty!!!
Yeah, cool, huh?  When Pete and I teamed up to build this guy, I determined that it would be a very special BUSS.  It has some next generation P.I. technology in it that will surface in a yet to be released product.  I will be using Pete's wire in it and it will be big step up in performance.  Price is TBD, but it will not be cheap.  I have not been resting on my laurels.  In this market we get what we pay for.

Dave

rfluongo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:47 pm »
... a yet to be released product.

Dave

The super duper Uber? :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:57 pm »
Dave,
The DoddBUSS looks great!   :thumb:

Looking forward to hearing some discussion when Jason gets it for listening.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:57 pm »
Dang Dave That thing looks friggin beautiful. Nice wood work on the face!!!
Gary

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:03 pm »
Very nice job Dave, looks amazing.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:23 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:  Shipping today!

Thanks Dave and Pete for your generosity to Gary.

Jason

Maritan

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:24 pm »
I think I drooled a little when I saw that. Like when my dogs are waiting for their food.

Dang, that's beautiful.

ufokillerz

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:18 pm »
that is one sexy piece of work

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:10 pm »
Dang Dave That thing looks friggin beautiful. Nice wood work on the face!!!
Gary
Well, Dude - you are my inspiration:

They sound awesome.  You da' man!

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:11 pm »
that is one sexy piece of work
Thanks everyone.  It is a special piece for some special people: Gary and Jason.........

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:16 pm »
Very Nice

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2013, 06:44 pm »
Okie dokie, Jason.  Time to weigh in on the DoddBUSS.

Dave & Pete

jriggy

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2013, 05:23 pm »
You got it Dave!
This thing is incredible to say the least!And those pics dont do it justice. It is a little warmer in color. Nice!
I know it has a few changes from a 'standard' Uber and I have no experience with the standard but I have had a few other conditioners over the last two years and this one has it all! Conditioner may not be the right word for the Uber... Filter?
It beats $5k conditioners in noise floor, dynamics and naturalness... I have had Furman, RSA and Bybee, as well as a P.I. Majik Buss. The Majik RevB was used in tandem with the Bybee and maybe another at one time. The PI/TWL Uber is the clear winner. And for the price? Unheard of!!!

As far as its effects in my system... It has the same soundstage as the Bybee V2, so I know it digs as deep. It has the beef of the RSA Dmitri so I know it is well extended and does not constrain dynamics. It is as clear and detailed as the Furman but more musical / not etched.

This PI/TWL DoddBUSS virtually has no signature in my system. I know some go after a conditioner to act as a component and give a 'flavor' to the sound but I do not believe a power conditioner (or filter) should add to the sound, like components in the signal chain do.
This Uber has all the positives of the past conditioners put together but completely without any coloration to my ears --and all the others had some sort of coloration to one degree or another.

I was going to try out another brand or two from an online dealer and tried to contact a manufacturer also, I will not name either here...but no real responses to multiple inquiries from either had me leaving those potential choices behind. Boy am I glad, as that would of probably just prolonged the road to my inevitable Uber BUSS (and taken a lot more from my pocket!)! I have had audio pals telling me to just go with an Uber for so long. I sure am glad I timed it for this incredibly beautiful Dodd BUSS!

My system is sounding so good right now.

Thanks to Dave and Pete again for their generosity to Gary. I hope the team-up for this one leads to great things.

Jason

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2013, 02:59 pm »
Jason, thank you for the great review.

The changes are actually limited in scope from a standard Uber.  There is not a lot more to do.  They are ones that I have been contemplating for an upcoming product that will break the mold that the Original BUSS-Line created.  One change is the use of cryoed Triode Wire Labs wire in the guts of this BUSS.  A minor filter mod was done to handle iPhones and other 4G polluters.  The most influential change is the use of the Neutrik 32A (@250V!!!) power inlet and corresponding plug on Pete's 7+ power cable.  Bulletproof and clean.  It has been treated with Gena Labs contact enhancer, too.

[Sidebar]  If people are not cleaning and tightening their receptacles at least once a year, they are missing the easiest AC improvement know in audio.  Just be careful and don't kill yourself in the process!!!  If you are not comfortable and smart enough to do this yourself, by ALL MEANS enlist the help of someone that is!

I broke individual components in, but did not do the entire unit after assembly.  Know that it will get more liquid and a tad punchier at about 100 hours and improve for the next several hundred.

Ya done good, Jason.  Gary, Pete and I thank you.

There will be more to come from P.I. audio group and Triode Wire Labs in the future, BTW.
Dave

carusoracer

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:13 pm »
Nice work guys.

Jason looks like your the lucky recipient. 8)

rogerdn

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:58 pm »
Dave, how and with what is the best way to clean them ? And are just our audio receptacles enough or back to the breaker box too, or is this overkill ?

Roger

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:20 pm »
Dave, how and with what is the best way to clean them ? And are just our audio receptacles enough or back to the breaker box too, or is this overkill ?

Roger
Roger,

The best way is to kill the circuit at the panel, check and double check that there is no voltage. 

Pull the receptacle.  (I need to note that I prefer back wiring receptacle, because it makes this process much easier.)

Inspect the wires and remove any and all oxidation that you see with a good contact cleaner and small brush or rag.  I use Caig DeOxit for most cleanings.

Clean the screws or the clamps in the receptacle with contact cleaner and bristle type pipe cleaners or a small twisted wire brush.  I bought mine at a surplus place here in Albuquerque.

If the wire is really nasty and you have enough wire in the box, cut off the cruddy part and start with new, clean wire.  Electricians that leave short wires in the box should be hung up by their thumbs.

If you are comfortable working at the service entrance panel, kill the main breakers and do the same at the panel.  pull the breaker for the system, clean the breaker and get every thing tidy and shiny and reassemble.

I am all about oxide inhibitors.  Out here in NM we have an average relative humidity of around 11% most of the year.  That is why my skin looks like an alligator hide.  In more humid areas, especially around salt water, a good inhibitor is a must IMO.  Here is an excerpt from from IAEI back some years ago by Cristel Hunter:

"Oxide inhibitor use is considered good workmanship for all 600-volt terminations, whether wired with copper or aluminum conductors. The oxide inhibitor provides a barrier at the connection point that excludes moisture and other potentially damaging environmental substances. Oxide inhibitor must be compatible with the conductor type. Different manufacturers make compounds that can be used with copper only, aluminum only, or both copper and aluminum. Be sure to choose the compound listed for the application. Compression connectors often come pre-filled with the appropriate oxide inhibitor. When connectors are tested for compliance with UL 486B, the conductor is prohibited to be wire brushed or abraded, and oxide inhibitor may only be used if the connector is pre-filled with the antioxidant. Therefore, mechanical set-screw terminations are tested without wire brushing and oxide inhibitor.
According to the UL GuideInfo (UL White Book) for wire connectors (ZMVV), oxide inhibitor for aluminum or copper wire may be used if the connector manufacturer recommends its use on the connector documentation. Oxide inhibitor is of the most value when making connections between uncoated copper and aluminum. This type of connection is subject to galvanic corrosion when in the presence of an electrolyte. Since most lugs today are made of tin-plated aluminum, galvanic corrosion is limited except in the case of severe electrolytic environment or significant damage to the connector plating."

Be sure to use the proper inhibitor for your wire type.  It also helps maintain a gas-tite seal between the conductors.

Clean wiring helps to ensure good sonics.

As always, remember that deaths by well intentioned weekend warriors through electrocution are not uncommon.  The First Rule is:  THINK about what can happen....

LOTO is an essential safety process in industry.  Lock Out the circuit and Tag Out the circuit that is being worked on.  Following this at home will keep your ears working... along with everything else.

I'll have info on "the other thing" this weekend.

I welcome any additional hints from the members, too.  Speedskater, Pete?

Dave

rogerdn

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:15 pm »
Dave, thks for all the detail.....

'That is why my skin looks like an alligator hide'.......Here I thought it was cuz you were one of them guys