Focal Electra 906's

mcgsxr

Focal Electra 906's
« on: 25 Jul 2016, 07:16 pm »
Some people buy and hold audio gear, and I have done this in the past.  On 2 different occasions I have owned a static audio setup for 10 years.  The years between those static stretches are usually a whirlwind of changes every 3-4 months.

Last year I bought a set of Magnepan 1.6QR’s and I loved them.  When my cats and my Maggies failed to get along, I decided the best thing for me (and them!) was to sell off the best sounding speakers I have ever owned.  No fun coming to that decision, but at least I owned them for a year.  Owning a set of planars was a bucket list thing for me since being swept off my feet in the mid 90’s upon hearing my first set of Maggies.

I determined that stand mounts would be a good place to go exploring, as in the past I have enjoyed a great number of speakers like this – Totem Rokk, Totem Model 1 biwire, Paradigm Studio Reference 20’s to name a few in the recent years. 

I considered a newer set of Paradigm 20’s (V4), a set of Neat Motive 3’s, Reference 3A Dulcets (sold quick and would have required shipping vs local pick up), B&W DM602’s (I had a less than satisfactory experience with a set of B&W floorstanders once and it keeps affecting my decisions!), Opera Mezza’s and Totem Arros (still have not owned these, but have owned a lot of Totems).

I noted a set of Focal Electra 906 for sale locally.  Local as in about 5 miles from me! These speakers come from a pivotal time in Focal’s history.  They were transitioning from being known (at least in North America) as JM Lab, and it was the last gasp of the inverted tioxid tweeter.  After the 906 came the BE tweeter found in the 907, 1007 and onward from there.  I also believe that the cabinet design of the 906 was matured into the later offerings.  So I consider these speakers from an interesting time for the manufacturer.

The finish on the cabinets should not have surprised me, but it is very very good.  Everything fits really nicely, and the angled cabinets look great.  They would look a lot better in a living or family room with other nice furniture, as the darkness of my basement tends to overshadow their stately good looks.  I can see the starting point for what they went on to do with the subsequent models in more recent years.  Very inert cabinets, and even the binding posts are quite nice.  Not on par with the glorious WBT units from my Totem biwires from a few years ago, but a big step beyond the typical posts.  They cinch down nicely, and feel great when you use them - a MASSIVE departure from the dreck on the back of the 1.6's!

I had never owned a set of Focal before, and had only ever heard a Chorus floorstander once before.  Not uncommon for me to buy a set of speakers without a full demo.  I tend to research a lot, and then verify that they are working, and take them home to see what I think in my room with my gear.  When I am going through phases of audio exploration I am never concerned that I might not love something.  I have sold speakers a week later, and not regretted trying them.  I tend to troll around in the $500-$1500 used market for speakers, and find they offer excellent value.

I would suggest that following a set of Magnepan 1.6QR’s is not an easy task for any speaker.  I plunked the 906’s down 4 feet from the front wall, and plugged them in the Crown XLS 1500 fed by my Nuforce AVP-16 used as a 2 channel preamp via the XLR connections.  I was initially disappointed with the Focals, but have since played around with placement and ancillary gear and discovered some interesting differences between these very different speakers. 

The Maggies were champs at producing a LARGE sense of scale in my room, and offered some of the smoothest, sweetest treble I have ever heard.  Paired with my Crown XLS 1500 amp, there was a great sense of drive and the music welcomed me in.

The Focal’s don’t offer the same experience at all.  What leaps out is detail, especially in the lower treble, and a much better imaging experience.  I ended up moving the front ported 906’s way closer to the front wall in order to support the balance of the sound more.  I did not notice any reduction in imaging or depth even with the rear of the speaker 12 inches from the front wall.  I also swapped out the Crown/Nuforce separates for a Yamaha A-S500 integrated.

Surprising?  How about ditching the subwoofer?  That surprised me even more.  I am very impressed with the clarity and drive of the Yamaha/Focal pairing.  I am sure many audiophiles would rankle at the suggestion of pairing a mid fi integrated (MSRP around $500 when new?) with a set of speakers that in Canada approached $3000 in their day.  I think it relates to how well the Focals do what they can do, and that ability is drawing me to it, vs wondering what I am missing.

All I can say is that it sounds good.  As good in all ways?  No.  Better in some?  Surprisingly yes. 
At different times, and in different places around the ‘Net one can find reviews of both the Focals and the Yamaha that would indicate some trending towards being bright.  I have to say that I am not that sensitive to brightness (having owned Totems for a LONG time – and lots of folks claim those are bright).  I initially played with the variable loudness on the Yamaha to see if that would alleviate the need for a sub.  Much to my surprise, it was not the case – but clicking Pure Direct on the Yamaha was a revelation.

Mids solidified, treble remained very detailed, and the bass is quick and articulate.  I would not say that the combo is strictly neutral.  The Focal’s are voiced to give a mild mid bass bump, so that you notice less that they drop off on the lowest notes.  Most notable with a Ray Brown walking bass line where some notes are louder and more defined that others.  There is only so much a ported 6.5 woofer will give you, and in this case Focal wisely tuned the enclosure for delicacy and nimbleness over chasing the deepest bass possible.  I often find that great manufacturers do this – their high end bookshelf speakers are meant to be the gateway.  They offer excellent midbass through treble and lure you into their higher end floorstanders with increased bass.  I typically counter with a subwoofer, but in this case am enjoying the 906’s al fresco.  I can forgo the deepest bass, as the musical presentation is taking me places that I enjoy in any case.  A classic case of sins of omission.  But forgivable sins on balance!

Listening to Sonny Rollins “How are things in Glocca Morra” the Focals are offering great insight into the piano rolls, stark trumpet interjections and welcome smoothness for the sax.  I have always enjoyed Sonny, and this combo delivers.

Shifting to Bob Marley “Easy Skanking” showcases the bass the Focals can deliver.  Not plumbing the depths of my subwoofer, but delivering drive and shimmering cymbals to bring you closer to the music.  “Take a lift” indeed!

Russ Freeman’s “Guitar land” off Sounds of Wood and Steel 3 is what these speakers should be demo’d with.  You get the drive of the rhythm guitar, all the finger work and picking from the lead, all the detail you would ever want.  The clarity of the recording is excellent, and when it starts to “cook” around 2:00 I am really drawn into the complexities of the interplay between the instruments.

“Body and Soul” from Gerry meets Paul (Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Paul Desmond) sets up a wonderful tone of the sax with soft drumming and bass supporting it.  The wonkiness of the sax, plus the “conversation” they have really draws me in.

“I Cover the Waterfront” with John Lee Hooker and Van Morrison from 2007’s The Best of Friends has long been a demo fav of mine.  I enjoy the richness of the bass, the clarity of the guitar, and the interplay of the voices.  I do note sibilance on this track, and the Focals do nothing to hide that.  It can be felt on some of the singing, and also the high hat throughout.  I recall the Maggies having less of this, but audio memory is fickle indeed

“Big Poppa” by The Notorious BIG is also a guilty pleasure of mine.  The track pumps well, and the high hat is again a star in the mix.  Wide soundstage and decent depth throughout, this combo again delivers.

“Sweet home Chicago” by the Blues Brothers is always a good romp.  Leading transients (guitar and drums) are more noticeable with the Focals, and for me in this room the depth of the recording is more on display than with the Maggies.

Both the Focals and the Maggies come to life at about 80db, and continue to deliver way past what I will listen to (I hit peaks of 95db for a bit, but really live in the 80-85db range for pleasure listening).  The Yamaha does not give up, it drives these speakers very well.  At about 11 on the dial it is hitting peaks of 90db on the John Lee Hooker track in my room.  I guess 85wpc is more than enough for the ~89db efficient Focals.

Where the Maggies drew me in with realism and scale, the Focals seduce me with drive and nimbleness. 
Will I miss the 1.6’s?  Desperately.  But can I enjoy this new, simpler and satisfying combination?  For sure.  Will it last 10 years?  Doubtful, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm by mcgsxr »

FireGuy

Re: Focal Electra 906's
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2016, 07:57 pm »
Nice review/post.  For me it reiterates the case that every speaker will have some kind of compromise.  No speaker is perfect.  Aesthetically I like the way the Focals present themselves.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2016, 09:04 pm »
Interesting. I am thinking about Focal for my Golf Wagon (if I go down that rabbit hole)

And I love Maggies. May go back to them. (from Merlins)

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2019, 12:59 pm »
I ended up putting a set of Focal in my summer fun car (CLK500 cabriolet), and they work well in that application.

Since selling on the Focal 906's, I built a set of active speakers, then played around with a set of Paradigm Studio Reference 20's (V4 - funny that before buying the 906's I considered a set), and now have  another set of Totems in - the Rainmaker.

Gebby44

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2021, 06:55 pm »
I ended up putting a set of Focal in my summer fun car (CLK500 cabriolet), and they work well in that application.

Since selling on the Focal 906's, I built a set of active speakers, then played around with a set of Paradigm Studio Reference 20's (V4 - funny that before buying the 906's I considered a set), and now have  another set of Totems in - the Rainmaker.

I'm new here and just getting back into the audio game. This place is such a wealth of knowledge. I know the thread is a few years old, but I was wondering your thoughts on comparisons between the Rainmakers and 906's? I'm currently loving the Rainmakers and their great imaging but have found some 906's locally I'm considering.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!