SALK PICS PICS PICS!!!!

AliG

SALK PICS PICS PICS!!!!
« on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:26 pm »
My GOD... I was stunned when Jim sent me these pictures  :o :o :o.. never in my entire life I would imagine owning such beauty..freaking hell... Jim... can you build me another pair :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim still haven't decided on the name yet... right now...he 'tentatively' call it "Salk AURA". :wink:

JoshK

Re: SALK PICS PICS PICS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:33 pm »
What's the difference between these and the previous model that looks like these....I forget the name?

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:34 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

What is the veneer?

AliG

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:38 pm »
Joshk, the difference is in the tweeter, the previous one uses a dome tweeter. This version uses a ribbon G2.

Jim is still working on a 'better' version using a AE 6.5" mid. But I'm leaving the country in Feb (next month!) so I couldn't wait for that new version. I heard the PHL mid in the "Pharos" speaker and I didn't hear anything wrong with it.

carusoracer, the veneer is tineo.. :wink:

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:41 pm »
Looking good Barry!   :thumb:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:48 pm »
Gorgeous!

Watson

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2009, 06:59 pm »
That feathered edge paint is an extremely clever way of making it possible to use veneer on the baffles. I'm surprised no one else has thought of it before. Would be of interest to DIYers as well.

AliG

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2009, 07:05 pm »
Arthurs, thanks! You have the best looking room in the world, and an awesome system. I hope one day i get to build one like yours. (oh well.. one day one day.. :wink:)

Looking good Barry!   :thumb:

yooper

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2009, 07:06 pm »
Holy crap Barry!  :o  :drool:

Will you have a chance to listen to them in your current room before you leave the country?  I would be very interested in hearing your opinion of the differences you hear between these and your HT3's.

Congrats to you!!

Mark

*EDIT*  Jim, I really like your choice of the background you used for these pics.  Clever!

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2009, 07:30 pm »
Just beautiful :thumb:

mpaulsen

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2009, 08:00 pm »
Wow, I really love the way the grain widens around the woofer and tightens in around the tweeter; that is very clever book matching.

So, how do they sound?

dmatt

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2009, 08:25 pm »
Those are beautiful.  Jim has done it again.  Congrats!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2009, 08:48 pm »
Beyond stunning!!

Makes me want a pair, regardless of how they sound.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

George

Biscuit

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:41 pm »
Very beautiful finish, and unique design.  Jim has gone beyond artist and is now just a magician!  Also, I bet those have a high WAF. :D

Please post a review after you have a chance to play with them in your system.

jcrane

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:47 pm »
could these be configured for bi-amping somehow? Just seems a nice meaty SS amp on the bottom coupled with a smooooooth tube at the top would be ideal.

Beautiful speakers by the way :D

So are these above or below the HT3 price wise?

jamie

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm »
jamie -

could these be configured for bi-amping somehow?

They are.

Just seems a nice meaty SS amp on the bottom coupled with a smooooooth tube at the top would be ideal.

That would certainly be possible.  But at about 93.5db sensitivity, it may not be all that necessary.

Beautiful speakers by the way :D

So are these above or below the HT3 price wise?

Yes, we haven't set the price yet, but we are aiming for about $3995 per pair, perhaps slightly more.

- Jim

AliG

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2009, 12:01 am »
Thanks for all your kind words!  :D

mpaulsen, I don't know how they sound, but knowing Jim, I bet these open-baffles sound pretty close to the HT3. The HT3 is probably still Jim's best speaker to date. I told him he should 'hurry-up' and finish the design of his "ULTIMATE" speaker then I'll be the first to place the order.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time to properly set it up and compare against my HT3, because I'll be busy packing in the coming weeks. But in two months time, I'll have a 25ft x 18ft x 10ft dedicated listening room, and I'll be able to do a proper shoot out.   :wink:

Rocket

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2009, 12:46 am »
Hi AliG,

I have heard this particular phl midrange driver on my occasions mated with a ribbon tweeter.  It is sounds very good, transparent and plenty of detail.

The aeg driver must be very good.

I hope you enjoy this speaker.

Regards

Rod

ps which country are you going to live in?

AliG

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2009, 01:21 am »
Rod, I'll be going to a city called "Kota Kinabalu" - East of Malaysia. I plan to be there for 4 years, enjoying the snorkeling and fresh seafood.. :drool: :drool:

There're plenty of gorgeous islands around the city... :wink:

Hi AliG,

I have heard this particular phl midrange driver on my occasions mated with a ribbon tweeter.  It is sounds very good, transparent and plenty of detail.

The aeg driver must be very good.

I hope you enjoy this speaker.

Regards

Rod

ps which country are you going to live in?

funkmonkey

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2009, 02:23 am »
 :thumb:

They look great AliG...  so does your new island home! :green:

When you get the chance, I too, would be interested in reading how they compare to your HT3s...  safe travels.
Cheers.