Best either processer or HT receiver bang for the buck!

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Hi guys,
      It has been a looooong time.  Hope everybody is well,  My wife and I bought our retirement home in Hickory Creek Tx about 3 years ago now.  I have retired the ultra high end guest and have settled in on trying to build the best HT possible (with in reason).  I have two rhythmic servo subs I built and love.   55" inch Panasonic plasma that also won't die, 5 build in speakers, all Klipsch and a 10 year old Denon receiver came with the house.

We have just purchased a 75" Vizio which we are very happy with.  I would like to have all the bells and whistles, like blue tooth, wireless, 4k and some sort of upscaling perhaps, great onboard DAC etc.  I love Dennis's digital amps down in  Houston and could get a 5 or 7 channel amp from him and then a nice processor.  Or???  If there is a wonderful receiver out there that does everything that would be great too.

I have just started reading reviews etc. and don't seam to be making any head way.  Can some of you HT gurus chime in with some recommendations?  It would be greatly appreciated!

A couple of thousand would be nice but could go up to 5k or so.  Price is dependent on performance.  I like to stop spending money just before you get to the diminishing return level.  You know when you are spending a lot for a little improvement, maybe a demo or even second hand.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Guy

playntheblues

Re: Best either processer or HT receiver bang for the buck!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2019, 11:35 pm »
     I guess I should ad the speakers will be going as well.  That just involves sheet rock work etc.  Thought I would start with the electronics first.  My speaker thoughts for now are Emotiva, Tektron, Legacy etc. 

playntheblues

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2019, 12:13 am »
INTEGRA DHC-80.1, $2,999.99 $449.99 85% off msrp @
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdhc801/integra-dhc-80.1-9.2-ch-thx-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

Also, MARANTZ, AV8802A, $3,999.99, $1999.99, 50% off msrp

I love a deal  LOL

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2019, 12:54 am »
Guy,

I'm doing something similar, retired last year to a much smaller house in Florida, so I have to share 2ch and HT in the main living space now. I bought an LG 65" OLED C8, GoldenEar in-wall and ceiling speakers for Atmos height channels, plus an SVS SB16 Ultra sub, all very nice. Now, I'm looking to replace my 15 year old Onkyo 5.1 receiver with an Anthem MRX 720, MRX 1120, or perhaps an AVM 60 pre with class D amps to end up with 5.1.4. A Nord 5 channel with Hypex 502 modules inside arrived this weekend as a start. Unfortunately they don't give the Anthems away, so I'm still thinking that one over. Lots of good choices though. Good luck!

playntheblues

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2019, 12:59 am »
Thanks for the input Tom, I will check them out.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2019, 01:10 am »
All 3 Anthems have the same 11.2 preamp section. The 720 has 5x140 class AB and 2x60 class D amp channels. The 1120 has 5x140 class AB and 6x60 class D amp channels. The AVM 60 is the same without the amps, except it has a discrete headphone amp the others do not. Hope that helps.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2019, 01:37 am »
I would recommend selecting a receiver with at least 9 channels, that has pre-outs, and includes Auro-3D on the audio side. On the video side make sure it includes HDR and Dolby Vision. Even if you only want 5 channels now who knows what might happen in the future. As for pre-outs use the receivers amps first and add outboard amps later in the future if you think it's necessary.
As for Dolby Vision Netflix now offers Dolby Vision on select movies and shows and it is superb.

At under $5K this would be a choise of Denon or Marantz. I have not auditioned the Denon but my Marantz 7702 processor sounds great in both "pure direct" 2 channel and in immersive music and home theater. As for speakers D&M make Boston Acoustics and they have a nice synergy. As for specifics:

Marantz Receiver: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7013/marantz-sr7013-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Boston Acoustics speakers: I would recommend book shelf speakers all around since you are likely going to use a sub or 2.

4 or 8 of these: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosa26gba/boston-acoustics-a26-6.5-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-gloss-black-each/1.html

a center channel: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosa225cgba/boston-acoustics-a225c-2-way-center-channel-speaker-black/1.html

and one or two subs: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosasw250gba/boston-acoustics-asw250-10-250-watt-a-series-subwoofer-black/1.html

Review: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/surround-sound-speaker-systems-reviews/boston-acoustics-a-series-51-home-theater-speakers/

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

artur9

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2019, 03:08 am »
Did you want a surround processor and amps for under $5k or a receiver all in?

Second the Monoprice HTP 1, on paper it looks quite good.

Indy Audio (used to be Acurus/Aragon) has the Muse for around your price.  Loved my Stage One not so long ago.
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/indy-audio-labs-officially-releases-its-acurus-muse-processor-and-m8-amp.4148/

I used to have a Cary Audio Cinema 11 that was great.  The successor, the 12, is a bit buggy I hear.
I currently use a Krell Foundation which has been rock solid but needs to be updated for the newest Dolby/DTS.  A used one would meet your price. 

Other than those, it's the typical brands: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, NAD, Rotel.  The control-ability of the higher priced units is a good to have.

Personally, I think you should use a separate device for the Bluetooth and stuff.  Those things have the lifespan of mayflies.

When you win the lottery Trinnov, Lyngdorg, Storm, Bryston, and even Focal have crazy high priced units.

Oh, for speakers, definitely audition the Legacy Audios.  I heard them at a dealer's a few years back and still remember the experience fondly.  And RBH has good bang for the buck along with Aperion and Axiom Audio.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2019, 04:46 am »
I would consider Anthem, NAD and Marantz for an AV receiver-

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-1120/page=overview

Speakers- Martin Logan (they sound great in a HT set  up), PSB, Monitor Audio

playntheblues

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2019, 12:03 pm »
Thanks guys, I know this is the same ole question everyone asks  :duh:,  Price is only a concern until we get to diminishing returns.  I could spend a bunch but would prefer to get a crazy good deal on something used or just an over achiever. That would also keep my wife happy LOL. I do lean towards an multi channel amp and a processor.  It just seams there are some receivers out there that do a lot.  The question is do they do a lot well?  I also lean towards digital for amps.  Started back with the Spectron duel monos, D-sonic etc.  they are light run cool and can sound fabulous.

Keep the suggestions coming, I look them up as they come in.   :popcorn:

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2019, 12:15 pm »
That was my thought too. Most of these multi-channel receivers do run really hot. I decided to pair with multi-channel Hypex class D since we have a Salamander Chameleon cabinet where the gear lives.
'

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2019, 02:57 pm »
That was my thought too. Most of these multi-channel receivers do run really hot. I decided to pair with multi-channel Hypex class D since we have a Salamander Chameleon cabinet where the gear lives.
'

This fan works great for warm components:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2019, 04:31 pm »
This fan works great for warm components:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I banned fans from my listening room long ago. The Anthems do have a tiny one, which rarely comes on, but even that's a major concession for me  :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2019, 04:48 pm »
Any receiver will run cooler if not using their internal amps (or less than ALL of them).

I currently run a Marantz I am happy with, and it has all channel pre outs for use with external amps.

I used to run a Pioneer, and it was fine too.

I'd still consider a receiver (vs a pre/pro) just for $ alone.  And the fact that decoding capabilities change WAY more often than amp requirements.

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2019, 04:50 pm »
For an affordable SS receiver/integrated, my neighbor has this one that really impressed me  (I have a megabuck HT system):

Denon AVR-X1300W -  it's only $500 and probably a bit low on the power for good bass, but driving small speakers it was remarkable.  A higher priced, higher power similar unit would probably be a better choice.

I would highly recommend to drive the coax input for movie audio from a iFi SPDIF iPurifier - get it on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/IFI-iPurifier-Digital-Optical-Optimizer/dp/B01KKFTM5S/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia?crid=PP7G9ZIUPVVX&keywords=ifi+spdif+ipurifier&pd_rd_i=B01KKFTM5S&pd_rd_r=9b270d49-eb0b-4dce-9643-2db0e42e3bec&pd_rd_w=pWOLY&pd_rd_wg=iSmuV&pf_rd_p=23754a30-606a-4e0a-ba42-b43d14507217&pf_rd_r=D72ARPWX7MX1Y5DCRVQ0&qid=1554137575&s=gateway&sprefix=iFi+spdif%2Caps%2C189

Connect the iPurifier to the TV, cable box or Blu-Ray player using this Toslink cable:

https://btpa.com/TOSLINK-XXX.html

The iPurifier delivers Dolby Digital and DTS with jitter of about 100psec.  Very good for $159 device.  The Toslink cable is the best sounding I have found.

Using the HDMI for audio is only mediocre.  Using the Toslink for audio with the iPurifier is amazingly good.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2019, 04:58 pm »

witchdoctor

« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2019, 10:22 pm »
I banned fans from my listening room long ago. The Anthems do have a tiny one, which rarely comes on, but even that's a major concession for me  :)

If you can't hear a fan in a dark room is it still there?  :D

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2019, 01:15 am »
If you can't hear a fan in a dark room is it still there?  :D

Not sure but I am told one is more likely to hear it in an immersive audio setup.

witchdoctor

« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2019, 02:42 am »
Not sure but I am told one is more likely to hear it in an immersive audio setup.

That's a good one :lol: