All I want to do is stream Tidal

Emil

All I want to do is stream Tidal
« on: 16 Oct 2020, 04:33 pm »
using a Bluesound Node 2 to an external DAC
All it does is bridge my laptop to the Dac. Correct?  Why would I need anything else?
Has no effect  on the sound or am I wrong?

jjss49

Re: All I want to do is stream Tidal
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2020, 04:51 pm »
the node 2/node 2i bypasses your computer

just plug in ethernet or use wifi connection to node

you use the computer or phone or tablet to run blu os software as controller but the bluesound sucks in the music streaming from tidal and plays the music for you either from its rca analog outputs, or it sends the digital stream to your dac by rca or toslink connection

your computer is no longer the source of the bitstream from tidal - i.e. with the node playing the music, you can turn off your computer and the music will keep playing

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2020, 05:00 pm »
jjss explains it perfectly.  No computer needed.

I recently got a Node 2i and am enjoying its capabilities and the Blue OS controller.  Very easy to use and has been nothing but dependable.

I also run my Smart TV into it via optical cable, so I can then use my stereo speakers when watching TV.  And of course, makes YouTube concert videos sound much better.   :thumb:

Can't comment on the Tidal sound sent to DAC by laptop vs Node 2i sending it.

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2020, 06:50 pm »
Thanks guys
I guess what I'm really trying to ask is does the the Node have a sonic signature or is it just a pass thru?

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2020, 07:22 pm »
Thanks guys
I guess what I'm really trying to ask is does the the Node have a sonic signature or is it just a pass thru?

if you use the dac inside the node (meaning you take output from its stereo rca outputs) yes it certainly does... smoothed over, rather dull innocuous sound, won't offend but won't excite -- compared to outboard dacs that are better

if using the digital outs, then you will hear the sound (or 'voice') of your outboard dac, provided you have decent cabling in between

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2020, 08:08 pm »
if you use the dac inside the node (meaning you take output from its stereo rca outputs) yes it certainly does... smoothed over, rather dull innocuous sound, won't offend but won't excite -- compared to outboard dacs that are better

if using the digital outs, then you will hear the sound (or 'voice') of your outboard dac, provided you have decent cabling in between

Thanks JJ
Using external dac
So no need to spend any more than I did on the Node :thumb:

Craig B

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2020, 08:28 pm »
You also need to use the Node's internal DAC if you want to fully "unfold" Tidal's MQA files. That is, unless your external DAC is MQA compatible.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2020, 09:26 pm »
Consumer digital sources (SPDIF/TOSLINK output) all have relatively high jitter, and jitter is inversely proportional to SQ.

You can reduce SPDIF jitter with a reclocker like Synchro-Mesh or iPurifier2. Try it from amazon $200, free return.

Maybe your DAC already has a good reclocker built in, or maybe BlueNode already has low jitter (doubt it) but it's worth finding out.

Even the best DACs I've heard with internal jitter reclocking still sound better fed by a low jitter source.

jjss49

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2020, 12:17 am »
i don't think the bluesound node 2i (i have the 2i, whereas op has the earlier 2) is a high jitter source... tried mine with a remedy reclocker and without, no sq difference i could hear into my metrum jade or denafrips pontus dacs

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2020, 01:42 am »
The one review I read confirmed the 2i's jitter ain't too bad.

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2020, 02:33 am »
The only real difference between the 2 and the 2i was the change to a dual band WiFi board other than that the unit is pretty much the same as five years ago hence the continued low price. It's their "loss leader."  Auralic which is a much smaller independent company could not continue to take the loss from the superior Aries Mini and discontinued it as people were not moving up the line like they expected. 

genjamon

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2020, 03:37 am »
Network devices, including computer endpoints like the Bluesound or other kinds of endpoints that feed a USB or SPDIF stream to your DAC, all have a sonic signature.  Beyond jitter of the digital audio signal, the quality of clocking and power has quite significant impacts on the sonics of files transferred through computer networks, prior to becoming a digital bitstream fed to a DAC.  This includes routers/switches in the home as well.  Unfortunately, it all matters. 

But investing in high quality power supplies for network devices, custom clocked network devices, and the like, all cost dearly.  Unless you want to start investing $$ thousands in your streaming sources, a Bluesound type device on its own will give you access to the massive databases of music available without breaking the bank, and can sound pretty decent as well.  It's just that there are absolutely much higher echelons of sound quality that come from optimizing the network and the power feeding such devices. 

Emil

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2020, 01:08 pm »

Lumin U1 Mini for $2k

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1-mini.html

anyone have one? Compared to the Node?

JTF

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2020, 09:03 pm »
anyone have one? Compared to the Node?

I didn't have U1, but I had a Lumin D2 for about 6 months that I used with external DACs. I use a Node 2i now and found the Lumin app to be clunky compared to BluOS. The Lumin also dropped connection frequently. I didn't hear any difference between the two when paired with an external DAC.

If you're primarily using Tidal, I'd suggest getting a streamer that's compatible with Tidal Connect, so you can just use the Tidal app directly. The Node 2i is, with the latest firmware update. They have a list of compatible devices:

https://tidal.com/supported-devices?filter=tidal-connect