DSpeaker 2.0 Replacement

Escott1377

DSpeaker 2.0 Replacement
« on: 22 Sep 2020, 02:10 pm »
My Out of warranty DSpeaker lost a channel when a tube blew in my pre amp.  I will have to send back to Finland for repair or I have found a used 1 on its last year of warranty.  Anyone have any suggestions on something different for a DSP?  My room is better now with a trio of absorbers behind my listening position and diffusion behind my stereo.  I also have a pair of diffusers that I will mount behind my speakers which are VSA VR4jr’s.

Almost leaning to the fact that I may not need the DSP but I do have a pair of subwoofers I run as well.

Any help is appreciated -

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: DSpeaker 2.0 Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2020, 02:35 pm »
MiniDSP/Dirac.  Much easier to see from a computer screen and allows for user adjustments.  A more powerful computer based option is Room Eq Wizard (REW) but is harder to use.

Escott1377

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2020, 03:08 pm »
I looked at that and I may be wrong, but only goes to 400 Hz?

I ran the DSpeaker to 500 Hz.

Again, not sure if that even makes a difference.

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2020, 03:13 pm »
Most will tell you that room correction is primarily to address bass peaks/dips (below the transition frequency which is room dependent and roughly 300 Hz).  At higher frequencies you're changing the character of the speaker you've chosen.  Dirac comes in <500 Hz or full range versions.

Escott1377

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2020, 08:57 pm »
Which would recommend knowing I need 4 amp outputs and 2 subs?

Thanks

NoDisco

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:59 pm »
So for those of us delving in for the firs time, its more cables...right? Sorry if I’m off thread a bit.

Escott1377

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2020, 12:31 am »
The DSpeaker takes my pre amp signal and then I use RCA out with a Y splitter to my tube blocs and subs.  The XLR out goes to my solid state.

I’m trying to figure out best bang for the buck on the other device mentioned.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2020, 12:12 pm »
So for those of us delving in for the firs time, its more cables...right? Sorry if I’m off thread a bit.

Depends on how you use it.  The DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core can be used as a preamp, DAC, and for room correction.  I owned one and used it for all three functions.  In that case it saves cabling from running separate preamp and DAC (and of course room correction box). 

It worked fine but has several limitations.  First it's small, so the screen is tiny and space on the back is severely limited (a USB-C connector is required) and inputs are limited to analog (RCA and XLR), USB-C, and optical.  Next it uses a microphone of unknown quality and you're limited on possible adjustments from it's recommended correction.  Finally the remote is a credit card sized push pad style that isn't the easiest to use. 

If you run all digital from a computer, REW (Room Eq Wizard) or Dirac can be used via software (plus a microphone for setup measurements) and use the much larger computer screen to make unlimited adjustments.  Another option is to buy miniDSP with Dirac installed so you're not limited to digital inputs. 

Escott1377

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:22 pm »
It’s all analog running to the DSpeaker up to 500 Hz.

Signal goes out of the pre amp, into DSpeaker, then out to amps and subs.

I looked at a few of them models on the web site, from the least expensive up to 1k.

I am looking for something that will tame the bass up to maybe 300 Hz as you suggested.