Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DELUXE or Denafrips Ares II ?

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
Hi all,

I am in the midst of a upgrade from my starter system. I am focusing on what I perceive as bang for the buck, overachiever components. These 2 DAC's, though very different have sparked my interest. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with both. I have heard that the MP struggles with gapless playback. Has this been addressed in the newest version? If it makes a difference, my musical tastes are pretty wide. I am a big fan of instrumental funk and jazz. I also listen to a lot of rock (classic to hair), fusion, blues and soul. Heavy on electric guitar and B3 organ players/groups. No classical, no opera and very little country.

The rest of the system is
Ascend Audio Sierra 1 (will be upgrading to NRT)
Morrow SP1 speaker cables
Odyssey Khartago amp
Musical Paradise MP-701 preamp (on order)
inexpensive interconnects and power cables
Brennan B2 (upgrade to Innuos Zen Mini/Bluesound Vault)
Sonos Connect - currently free Pandora and Spotify- will likely go to Tidal or Qobuz down the road (may upgrade to Innuos Zen Mini/Bluesound Vault)

Also cross posted on another forum.

« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2020, 08:10 pm by iowa »

yakbob

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DELUXE or Denafrips Ares II ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2020, 12:03 am »
The main benefit of the MP-D2 (i own the MKii version) is the ability to tailor the sound to your system. The flexibility in options is nice to have for someone still fleshing out their system. The Denefrips units get great reviews, but the sound will always be the same regardless of what happens downstream in your system. I guess it depends on how much of a tinkerer you are.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2020, 12:54 am »
Be aware that one reviewer said that the Denafrips can sound edgy and bright in some systems.  I would also consider the Schiit Bifrost Unison at that price or even the Gungnir Unison.  Made in the USA and it has a return policy.

I have read nothing but good things about the MP and thought about buying one myself to tinker with for fun.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:34 am »
I've owned both the Mk I and now the Mk III Deluxe versions of the MP-D2 and you would need to spend a good deal more to get better sound plus the ability to fine tune with various rectifiers and input tubes.

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2020, 11:27 am »
Thanks all. I received the MP DAC yesterday and hope to get it in the system tonight. :dance: