What DAC are you using with your BDP?

frankliu

What DAC are you using with your BDP?
« on: 22 May 2020, 05:06 am »
I just bought a used BDP-2!!! I am curious about what DAC are you using with your BDP? Please share your brand and model. It will be great if you can share how you choose your DAC (based on testing results, online reviews, or personal auditions, etc).

Again, your insights are much appreciated!

best,
Frank

Pundamilia

Re: What DAC are you using with your BDP?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2020, 02:14 pm »
Bryston BDA-3 purchased as an upgrade from a BDA-2 on my dealer's (Mark Jones) recommendation. I was considering buying a subwoofer for my Focal Kanta 2's and he suggested that I would get a better return from this. I think he was right. I can now play DSDs.

bobf

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2020, 05:18 pm »
Chord Qutest with a BDP3 sounds great here. Use of the filters worked out well.

NHSkier

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2020, 05:34 pm »
Did you grab the used BDP-2 off TMR? That was a solid deal.

I have a BDP-1 >>> Asgard 3 with the Multibit DAC module >>> HD600. I haven’t been all that impressed; background is too gray. I think this has more to do with the DAC, but I also don’t think USB out is the BDP-1’s strength. I’m batting around the idea of replacing the Asgard 3 MB with a Mytek Liberty and using the AES/EBU output on the BDP-1 instead.

I have an original Modi MB in my two channel setup: Salk StreamPlayer II >>> Modi MB via USB >>> Yamaha A-S2100 >>> PSB Imagine T and I find that combo much much better. I’ve debated swapping the StreamPlayer II out for the BDP-1 just to see how things sound, but I haven’t been motivated enough to actually do it yet.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2020, 06:11 pm »
BDA-3.

fado

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2020, 08:49 pm »
1. Lampizator Amber 3 with their "engine 53" (no longer 2R2) and the most current USB interface.
2. Acoustic Plan Digimaster 2R2 DAC with Paul Hynes power supply. The Shindo dealers sell Acoustic Plan.

Each DAC has its unique sound - both are good but I am preferring the Amber 3 since I upgraded my speakers to Daedalus Apollo 11's.

martydmnt

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2020, 09:46 pm »
Congrats on your addition. I think you'll be pleased.

I have been using a secondhand Benchmark DAC-1 with my BDP-Pi, but just ordered and installed the new internal DAC card for my B135 cubed. Benchmark was on my short list when I found it used for an insanely good price. Solidly engineered and no-fuss. Sound is clean and unbiased, unlike the DAC in my Rega Apollo which leans toward the traditional British sound (slightly exaggerated mid-bass, a tad rolled off on the high end).  When the updated DAC card from Bryston debuted, it was on my to-buy list and I finally pulled the trigger. I haven't listened to them side-by-side yet, that's the project for this long weekend. The Benchmark will be doing headphone duty for my desktop.

Calypte

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2020, 10:57 pm »
Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2.

frankliu

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2020, 05:02 am »
Thank you guys for these great ideas. Deeply appreciated!! I am thinking to buy a DAC, not in a rush. :)

I wonder if anybody here has experience with the Denafrips DACs.

https://www.denafrips.com/ares

It seems people like them a lot.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59322-for-sale-denafrips-pontus-dac/?tab=comments#comment-1052939
this one is sold in a day...

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2020, 11:24 am »
I don't have a BDP, but I use a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. I tried several, this is the one I fell in love with at the time.
Apparently the Denafrip is cheap but solid competition for the Gungnir.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2020, 12:22 pm »
BDA3 and love it I’m not looking for anything different. 

frankliu

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2020, 03:25 pm »
Hi Anonamemouse,

is multibit the same concept as R/2R? I still learning about DAC stuff.

Your insights are much appreciated.

best,
Frank

I don't have a BDP, but I use a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. I tried several, this is the one I fell in love with at the time.
Apparently the Denafrip is cheap but solid competition for the Gungnir.

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2020, 08:04 pm »
Dangerous Music Source and Emotiva DC-1.

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2020, 08:11 pm »
Did you grab the used BDP-2 off TMR? That was a solid deal.

I have a BDP-1 >>> Asgard 3 with the Multibit DAC module >>> HD600. I haven’t been all that impressed; background is too gray. I think this has more to do with the DAC, but I also don’t think USB out is the BDP-1’s strength. I’m batting around the idea of replacing the Asgard 3 MB with a Mytek Liberty and using the AES/EBU output on the BDP-1 instead.

I have an original Modi MB in my two channel setup: Salk StreamPlayer II >>> Modi MB via USB >>> Yamaha A-S2100 >>> PSB Imagine T and I find that combo much much better. I’ve debated swapping the StreamPlayer II out for the BDP-1 just to see how things sound, but I haven’t been motivated enough to actually do it yet.

Totally understandable. USB is definitely not up to par with AES output on BDP-1. I've tried Jitterbug on the output along with a short AQ Forest USB cable just to see if it comes close...it doesn't.

IMO the blackest, smoothest, and most 3D experience from the BDP-1 comes with Manic Moose being fed WAVs from NAS with some optimization into the networking. Zero USB ports used for input or output. I can listen all day or night long.

R. Daneel

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2020, 06:17 pm »
Hi Frank!

I see you got yourself a BDP-2. Congratulations!

I own a Bryston BDA-2 and a custom-built triode DAC isnpired by early Lampizator designs. It's about 10 years old but sound fantastic with CD quality material.

As for the Bryston BDA-2, at the time I was looking at a 2500-3000 € DAC and auditioned several DACs, including Exposure 2010S2, M2Tech Young, NAD M51, Musical Fidelity M6DAC and the Bryston BDA-2. All of them were good but in the end I narrowed the choice down to the NAD, Musical Fidelity and Bryston. NAD seemed to have a bit more resolving power and Musical Fidelity seemed to have a more solid bottom end. I felt that Bryston was a good compromise between the two, especially because it seemed to sound more dynamic in the midrange. The differences were small mind you. I almost went for the NAD because it was really superb but the build of it's chassis and connectors wasn't inspiring as I often mix and match different things. I mus also say that NAD, while the most affordable of the three, was technologically the most advanced DAC I had ever seen. It has no conventional DAC chips and works on entirely different principle. I remember being quite stunned while reading the white paper NAD published to explain how it works.

That being said, the fact I don't like about Bryston is their 'penchant' for charging you extra. It doesn't come with a remote control for instance and yet it has an IR receiver.

Cheers!
Antun

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2020, 06:09 am »
Hi Anonamemouse,

is multibit the same concept as R/2R? I still learning about DAC stuff.

Your insights are much appreciated.

best,
Frank

https://www.schiit.com/products/gungnir

Multibit is the muscle version. It does make a difference. Just try one, if you are in the states they offer a 2 weeks trial period.