Dacs

Kw6

Dacs
« on: 16 Dec 2019, 02:42 am »
With all things being equal are R2R dacs superior to the latest chips like AkM and ESS Sabre?

newzooreview

Re: Dacs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2019, 01:40 pm »
There is not a clear answer because all things are never equal. A DAC is designed around the chip chosen, and "all things" in the design have a profound effect on the sound.  There is no "all things equal" box that allows only the attributes of different chips to be evaluated.

Have a look at the design notes for the DAC 3 at Benchmark Media for example. In one design note, they discuss how the DAC feeds information to the chip to avoid intersample overs: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings

The theoretical benefits of any chip may or may not correlate to the quality of the sound from the DAC because of the input/output, power supply, filtering, and other choices made in the design.

Many DACs (like the Mytek DACs) let you adjust several of these parameters. Others lock in the choices based on their design goals.

I've had R2R, ESS, and delta/sigma NOS DACs, and I would not know whether the chip was the primary factor in the differences in sound. So many other design choices were in play that I never developed a chip preference.

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2019, 03:54 pm »
Newzoo... is correct. Lots of things can affect the sound quality. Quietness and reserves of power supplies, analog section, and how the chip is integrated into the whole scheme.   

Kw6

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:51 pm »
So you guys don't think the AN1865 chip posses any superior sonic capabilities?

Kw6

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2021, 02:42 am »
Just to update this thread. I took a chance and bought the Denafrips Ares II. Will post later on how it sounds!😃

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2021, 06:16 pm »
Newzoo... is correct. Lots of things can affect the sound quality. Quietness and reserves of power supplies, analog section, and how the chip is integrated into the whole scheme.   

What is main dac you use now?

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2021, 06:16 pm »
So you guys don't think the AN1865 chip posses any superior sonic capabilities?

Ok thanks 😊

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2021, 06:44 pm »
Just to update this thread. I took a chance and bought the Denafrips Ares II. Will post later on how it sounds!😃

How did you like (or not) the Aries II DAC? Did it mesh with your system?

Finding the 'right' DAC can be a hit and miss thing. It took me a few years and more than a few dollars to find DACs that keep me satisfied.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2021, 04:46 am »
How did you like (or not) the Aries II DAC? Did it mesh with your system?

Finding the 'right' DAC can be a hit and miss thing. It took me a few years and more than a few dollars to find DACs that keep me satisfied.

So far the Ares II is the dac I listen to the most. It's musically engaging. What dac do you use?

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2021, 08:33 pm »
I'm glad it worked out well for you. Finding the right DAC can be a challenge.

I discovered that I prefer the NOS DAC sound. My first NOS DAC was the dB Audiolabs Tranquility SE which is built around the TDA1543 chip. I still have this unit in my headphone system. In my main system, I've got an SW1X DAC III+ NOS DAC built around the TDA1541 chip. It's a tube DAC, and has a luscious analog sound.

Michael

Kw6

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2021, 04:20 pm »
I'm glad it worked out well for you. Finding the right DAC can be a challenge.

I discovered that I prefer the NOS DAC sound. My first NOS DAC was the dB Audiolabs Tranquility SE which is built around the TDA1543 chip. I still have this unit in my headphone system. In my main system, I've got an SW1X DAC III+ NOS DAC built around the TDA1541 chip. It's a tube DAC, and has a luscious analog sound.

Michael

Thanks Michael! How much is it in USD for your Swix model? I was also considering AN kits 2.1 that uses AD1865N chip or the real AN 0.1x! What do you think?

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2021, 06:00 pm »
Thanks Michael! How much is it in USD for your Swix model? I was also considering AN kits 2.1 that uses AD1865N chip or the real AN 0.1x! What do you think?

All SW1X products are priced in GBP, but it ought to be around USD $6000. Yeah. It's not inexpensive. However, it is absolutely worth it to me.

Before I chose the SW1X DAC, I had looked long and hard at the Terminator DAC and a couple others. What eventually pushed me away from those DACs and into the SW1X DAC was an email conversation I'd had with a couple audiophiles whose opinions I trust.   

I haven't heard either of the AN DACs, so I cannot comment on them. AN DACs are famous for their great sound as you know. [There's an AN 2.1 for sale in the Trading Post.] All I can tell you is what I've read - that the 1541 chip is superior to all other chips and, yes, I know that's dependent on architecture and subjective opinions.

Jump in and try a DAC to see if you like it. Visit audiophiles who have interesting DACs. Hell, visit me if you're in the neighborhood.

Michael

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2021, 05:38 am »
Ok thanks Michael! I thought the best NOS chip was AD1865N and then TDA 1541? Aries Cerat uses 1865 chip too. What didn't you like about Denafrips Terminator? Pontus II is on my list too!

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2021, 02:14 pm »
It's not that I didn't like what the Denafrips offered. It was more that I wanted what Slawa's tube DAC (the SW1X III) offered. To this day, I'm delighted with my DAC. I don't suffer any "What if I had chosen a Terminator instead?" worries.

I'm no expert on which chip is superior. As I mentioned above, the material I read suggested the TDA1541 is superior. I'm not telling you that it's better than the AD1865. The architecture surrounding a chip - any chip - will influence how it sounds. It's just like debating sports cars in my opinion. Ask ten guys if car A or car B is superior, and you'll get ten different answers, or 5 guys will prefer A and 5 will prefer B.   

I am suggesting that at some point reading reports and opinions won't tell you how A, B, or C DAC sounds to your ears. You've got to place them in your system to decide which best suits your wants and desires.

jjss49

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2021, 10:14 pm »
With all things being equal are R2R dacs superior to the latest chips like AkM and ESS Sabre?

unclear, but also, things are NEVER equal

so the question is moot

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2021, 12:12 am »
jjss49 is not far off base. Like all things audio it depends on what you and the rest of your system require. The trend now is radical upsampling. It can sound simply amazing or like fingernails on a chalkboard depending on your preferences and your system. There's no single way to do digital right.

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2021, 05:39 pm »
Ok thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! I'm on a tight budget so since I already own Denafrips Ares II I think Pontus II is a natural upgrade for me! I would love to try a tube dac like AN or SW1x! But I already run an all tube system so won't miss out too much hopefully!😄