How does Spatial sound less than 3 feet off the front wall?

morganc

I've been so wanting to own a pair of Spatial and have been waiting for my new home, but sadly the room will not accommodate speaker placement three feet off of the wall.  How would an OB sound less than 3 feet off of the wall?  Thoughts?   

Spatial Audio

Re: How does Spatial sound less than 3 feet off the front wall?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2019, 06:26 am »
I've been so wanting to own a pair of Spatial and have been waiting for my new home, but sadly the room will not accommodate speaker placement three feet off of the wall.  How would an OB sound less than 3 feet off of the wall?  Thoughts?

The perceived depth of field will be reduced, but that is true with most any speaker. The bass level would be diminished somewhat at 2 feet, but many of our customers use them at 2 ft with success. Since they are easy to move, you can also park them close to the wall for casual listening and then pull them out for sit down listening sessions.

Clayton

morganc

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:04 pm »
Thanks Clayton.   Yes I thought that moving them would be an option but that puts them in a quite near field position.  What is the closest nearfield position that you find would still provide coherence with either the M3 or M4? 

yakbob

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2019, 04:45 pm »
morganc, I own the M3 Turbo S. I find I can comfortably sit within 7 feet of the speakers. I find speaker toe in with the M3 is critical. The sweet spot is fairly narrow, so in order to have that center image lock, you will need to be able to toe them in accurately.
It sounds like you may or may not have room for a subwoofer, if you plan to run the speakers close to the front wall a sub would really help with the drop in low frequencies.

I pull my speakers out to 28" (front of baffle to the wall), and slide them back when company is over and listening is non critical. Again, a sub (or two) really help flesh out the pair at lower listening levels.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2019, 07:34 pm »
...that puts them in a quite near field position.  What is the closest nearfield position that you find would still provide coherence with either the M3 or M4?

You can pull either of those two models in as close as you want without losing any cohesiveness. That’s because all the sound they produce is emitted from one singular point. Most speakers use multiple points, separate and independent of each other. Multiple points can never create the same level of cohesiveness as a singular point, this becomes all the more apparent in a near field arrangement. Hope this helps.

kimmki

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:42 pm »
Please advise me.
Listening Room - W- 2.21m
D - 3.23m
H - 2.26 m
Which is the best choice?
1. spatial m3 triode master
2. spatial m4 triode master 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2019, 02:45 pm »
Please advise me.
D - 3.23m
H - 2.26 m

That's 7.25 feet width, 7.4 feet height and about 10.6 feet length/depth.

Best,
Anand.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2019, 06:51 pm »
You can pull either of those two models in as close as you want without losing any cohesiveness. That’s because all the sound they produce is emitted from one singular point. Most speakers use multiple points, separate and independent of each other. Multiple points can never create the same level of cohesiveness as a singular point, this becomes all the more apparent in a near field arrangement. Hope this helps.

Yes thank you that helps a lot. 
Would bringing them in closer together allow me to listen to them from a shorter distance, i.e. More nearfield? 

morganc

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2019, 06:51 pm »
morganc, I own the M3 Turbo S. I find I can comfortably sit within 7 feet of the speakers. I find speaker toe in with the M3 is critical. The sweet spot is fairly narrow, so in order to have that center image lock, you will need to be able to toe them in accurately.
It sounds like you may or may not have room for a subwoofer, if you plan to run the speakers close to the front wall a sub would really help with the drop in low frequencies.

I pull my speakers out to 28" (front of baffle to the wall), and slide them back when company is over and listening is non critical. Again, a sub (or two) really help flesh out the pair at lower listening levels.

Thank you. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2019, 07:58 pm »
Yes thank you that helps a lot. 
Would bringing them in closer together allow me to listen to them from a shorter distance, i.e. More nearfield?

I just sent you a PM. Check your in box.

James Edward

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2019, 09:31 pm »
Are you in jail? Are those dimensions correct?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm »

:rotflmao:

You made me smile. Thanks!

Best,
Anand.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2019, 10:57 pm »

Probably.  It's called "being married", I believe. 

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2019, 04:19 pm »
Hahahaha! Both of those posts! :rotflmao:

morganc

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2019, 04:54 pm »
Just FYI, someone crapped on my thread above by jumping on this thread and posting the dimensions of their tiny room, which several posters thought were my own dimensions...it kind of derailed the discussion as several people messaged me privately with their opinions based on that tiny room.

For clarity's sake, my room is around 22 x 24 feet opening into a kitchen. The maximum distance from the front wall to my seat is around 10-11 feet or so. 

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2019, 04:55 pm »
Please advise me.
D - 3.23m
H - 2.26 m

This guy :nono:

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2019, 06:08 pm »
Just FYI, someone crapped on my thread above by jumping on this thread and posting the dimensions of their tiny room, which several posters thought were my own dimensions...it kind of derailed the discussion as several people messaged me privately with their opinions based on that tiny room.

For clarity's sake, my room is around 22 x 24 feet opening into a kitchen. The maximum distance from the front wall to my seat is around 10-11 feet or so.

With that "corrected" room volume, I'd go with the M3. Which version would depend on your current amplifier.

JackD

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2019, 06:36 pm »
I owned both versions and they both like "horsepower"  especially in a room that size.  My Family Room where the Spatial's reside is very similar to yours in size and the opening to the kitchen is the direction they face.