Very cheap upgrade for the D-200 amps.

HumanMedia

« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2006, 09:06 am »
BTW Another cheap Volex worth checking out is the 18AGW foil shielded AND braid shielded - 17660.

HumanMedia

« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:58 am »
The sound of my system seems to change throughout the night starting off edgy and getting progressively better. (I can hear the sound of coins dropping already).  I have all my front end stuff plugged in to an isolating transformer with the power amps straight into the wall. As well as the transformer the unit contains a chain of capacitors on the input and output lines.

Trying the shielded power cords made a big difference, and last night I tried plugging the amps into the isolating transformer as well.  (my previous power amps hated any form of filtering, and I assumed the D200s would be the same)

Another big difference! I got that 'late-night' sound immediately.   My guess is that its the capacitors that are filtering out high frequency garbage that is coming in from the mains.

So I am going to build a new power board just for the D200's with nothing more than capacitor filtering, in conjuntcion with the shielded power cables.  I will report back here, but in the meantime this suggests that the D200 are sensitive to RFI garbage and that alongside high gauge shielded power cables, simple capacitor filtering of power may yield great results for those with noisy power.