How would you answer this audio question?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: How would you answer this audio question?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:45 am »
My advice is always the same - start with the speakers as they make the largest impact on the sound, then find amps that sound good with those specific speakers.
I agree with Tyson that  you should lead with speakers.  If you pick an established model, then find AC members that have or have had that model and ask what amps they liked and didn't like.  AC has a wealth of knowledge.  In my case there were a couple of very experienced members that had owned the LS9 speakers.  I depended on them to narrow the list, then waited for the best deal on a used piece.  Listening to speakers and amp combinations would be ideal, but it isn't an option unless you are in the big metro areas. 
Scott

pansixt

« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:50 am »
Tyson
You gave me that same advice a couple of years ago and I am finally in a position to where I will be doing exactly that.

I should add that with the help of friends here on the circle, I can take the time and still enjoy the pursuit. :thumb:

James

hfxrzw

« Reply #22 on: 5 May 2013, 03:29 pm »
Interesting posts, learning lots here!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2013, 05:43 am »
Its impossible to know what company will still be around in two years, let alone ten.

Educate yourself, find your comfort zone (tubes/solid state, box/dipole speaker, budget, WAF, musical tastes, audio priorities, type of source/sources to be used, etc.).

Audition, attend audiofests, join local audio clubs, read enough reviews to find reviewers you agree with and to be able to read between the lines.  Unfortunately this is all a hassle, takes time, and audio shops are getting more and more scarce in many areas.

Start with the lower product in a given price range that the vendor offers (better value to let someone pay for the R&D on the top of the line stuff).

Some say garbage in/garbage out, so prioritize on the source, but like Tyson I say speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality, WAF/available room/musical tastes/audio priorities/amplifier selection factors.

As a high value/fresh start buying tip consider powered speakers (compact, no pre-amp or power amp to shop for, what the studio professionals use).  Examples: Audioengine A2+ (soon to be released, $250/pair, includes DAC, tiny); NuForce S3-BT (here at AC, $300/pair, more bass but still small, allows for RCA or quality bluetooth connections); AVi ADM-9RSS (British, $2300/pair via internet, louder volumes possible, still stand mount sized, comes with basic remote, DAC included, fully active design - one channel of amplification per driver for incredible dynamics, extremely flat frequency response, unbelievably deep/full bass).  Depending on taste/room size you may need a subwoofer - check out Parts Express for good/cheap subs.  For computer sourcing this is all the "system" you need (if listening away from the computer add Apple AirPort Express for $99 and use a smartphone or iTouch for control) and is the way of the future (that nearly all audiophiles are slow to accept).