More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

shadowlight

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #340 on: 30 Jul 2018, 11:06 pm »
I made a usb stick with a lt3045 board that looks exactly like isilencer. Now there is no need for idefender and ipower. Cleaning power made as much if not more difference than isilencer! Lt3045 rules!

Can you share how you built it?

viggen

« Reply #341 on: 31 Jul 2018, 03:48 am »
looked around quite a lot of impressions on the net since I like the design, most of them liked it with no glaring problems. The main thing that cropped up was driver issues, which may have been solved since it was released a year ago.

ASR had a faulty unit of the old G+ (different USB controller and DAC chip), unfortunately, but even then, it performed quite admirably:
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-micca-origen-usb-dac.1476/

the pesky USB issues probably prompted them to change the controller

yah according to Z review, the G2 version solves the driver issue.   Zeos likes it a lot.  But, I question his taste.

viggen

« Reply #342 on: 31 Jul 2018, 03:50 am »
Uses an older Wolfson chip and analog volume control. Was never a fan of the Wolfson chips myself. Some people like the C-Media chip more than XMOS. The selling point seems to be the 5.7v to drive difficult headphones and amps. Other than that I'd say it's over-priced. But who knows, so much has changed in ten years. Maybe the Wolfson sounds better now with a good power supply and better software...

i like the form factor more so than other dacs around the same size.  it also comes in an integrated amp form factor.  i am not sure which i prefer assuming there's a bit of audio advantage going with separates.

karnana

« Reply #343 on: 1 Aug 2018, 06:51 pm »
Can you share how you built it?

Bought it on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Noise-LT3045-Linear-Regulator-Power-Supply-Board-3-3V-5V-12V-DC-Converter/222553699110

seems 3.3V is enough for sabaj da3 but not for scarlett solo. Maybe I can do something for Note 4 battery that makes it better  :lol:

Wire it like this, if you bought one with potentiometer play with it until V is right:

Talk about peanuts... spend $15 instead of $100 if you use it with Pc's. Up next I will 3d print a case for da3 with isilencer + ipower with lt3045 and 2 panasonic 18650 batteries. x2 more battery and x2-3 cheaper than Chord Mojo. Can also charge my phone :lol:

karnana

« Reply #344 on: 4 Aug 2018, 09:30 pm »
Update: Scarlett works without any problem getting power from 2 usbs instead of one going to lt3045. Makes it pretty sweet. Now this little thing became a must have device for me for any usb audio interface.

Haven't tried if it effected the xlr input which matters a lot to me. Will update this post when I do  :wink:

Doublej

« Reply #345 on: 5 Aug 2018, 10:36 pm »
Where can one find a USB cable like the one in karnana's post?

o0o

« Reply #347 on: 20 Aug 2018, 12:55 pm »
New windows driver XMOS_USBAudio_v4.47.0_2018-08-06_debug for Da3, Da2, D4, Idea, IQ, etc released by Sabaj.

Identical driver/file for XMOS-based DACs is also released by SMSL.

As usual no changelog or details about the update.

Tested and working fine with with Sabaj Da2.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2018, 02:25 pm by o0o »

uncola

« Reply #348 on: 22 Aug 2018, 02:40 pm »
thanks for posting the newer sabaj da3 driver, still using this dac and very happy with the quality

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #349 on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:38 pm »
I am looking at recommendations for a C&C DAC that has optical input for a TV.  It cannot be usb powered. And it must be under $100.  I would like to find a used Schiit Modi but no luck so far.  Please don't recommend the Fiio D3 as it sounds like crap, even for TV.

Thanks!

walkern

« Reply #350 on: 11 Oct 2018, 04:27 pm »
There is a Modi 2 Uber on e-bay right now for $70 with a 'buy it now' of $110 plus shipping... if you haven't found a DAC yet.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #351 on: 11 Oct 2018, 08:01 pm »
I am looking at recommendations for a C&C DAC that has optical input for a TV.  It cannot be usb powered. And it must be under $100.  I would like to find a used Schiit Modi but no luck so far.  Please don't recommend the Fiio D3 as it sounds like crap, even for TV.

Thanks!

How about a used Topping D30? Or a new one if you can stretch to $120

ExileSt

« Reply #352 on: 11 Oct 2018, 08:45 pm »
Audioquest Beetle is marked down to $99 on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Beetle-Toslink-Asynchronous-Bluetooth/dp/B071KXLW7W  (not an affiliate link.)

fredgarvin

« Reply #353 on: 11 Oct 2018, 10:41 pm »

Thanks!

Schiit has a new Modi just introduced, the Modi 3 $99 and includes optical and coaxial.

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

shadowlight

« Reply #354 on: 5 Nov 2018, 10:53 pm »
I want to use Sabaj Da3 with iPhone SE and I believe all I need for that is to get a camera kit and usb to usb-c cable correct?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #355 on: 17 Nov 2018, 03:00 pm »
I don’t know about the DAC in question, but I just got a camera kit for my iPhone SE and it works on my Rega DAC. Current iOS software and all that.

Jack667

« Reply #356 on: 18 Nov 2018, 09:47 pm »
I picked up a great dac on amazon for 200 (although it’s gone up a bit in price now)

SMSL M8 ES9018 24Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Optical Coaxial XMOS USB Asynchronous decoder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PS0WLX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_F2D8BbB83SDF9

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #357 on: 1 Dec 2018, 01:55 am »
The Sabaj DA2 just arrived, color me impressed.  Works fine with my Samsung phone and HP laptop, no issues with noises or anything.  Awesome detail, good headstage, great bass impact.  Download the new driver no issues.  This is my first ESS Sabre dac and although it was a little harsh at first, an hour of break in and it smoothed right out.   What is the complaint about these chips I keep reading about?  Everyone says "if you can deal with the ESS sound", which is...

mrhyfy

« Reply #358 on: 1 Dec 2018, 02:18 am »
I made a balanced 2.5mm plug cable to XLR  for my Sabaj DA3.  Sabaj responded to my email requesting the pin assignment of the 2.5 mm plug.
Here's what they sent me...

works great,, one trick, I had connect the 3.5 mm plug to amp also, in order to ground the DAC to the amp.

uncola

« Reply #359 on: 1 Dec 2018, 04:09 am »
smsl sanskrit 10th anniversary edition.. been using it a couple weeks.. sounds great, the remote control has a very nice volume up/down feature.. and it can take an external 5v power supply.. been using my jays audio 5v linear power supply.  very nice.  uses microusb though.. wish it was usb-b