Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

JakeJ

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #160 on: 27 Jul 2018, 07:53 pm »
Monitor Musical Paradise's website and email Garry to find out.

Shogun

« Reply #161 on: 29 Jul 2018, 01:26 am »
Does anyone have the update info on MK3 version?

It seems it's coming in september and no Modwright Mod need with this version.

Read post from canuckaudiomart member ''yrogins'' and "Petersch": https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42058&start=210

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #162 on: 3 Aug 2018, 07:47 am »
I have the mp-d2 mkI with akm4490 and love the sound, here's my question. I plan on getting the mkIII when it comes out, gary prefers the ess9038pro, i'm thinking that if i love the sound of the 4490 then i should love the 4497.
what are your thoughts 4497 or 9038pro?

JackD

« Reply #163 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:52 pm »
I would stick with what you know.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #164 on: 3 Aug 2018, 08:12 pm »
I have the mp-d2 mkI with akm4490 and love the sound, here's my question. I plan on getting the mkIII when it comes out, gary prefers the ess9038pro, i'm thinking that if i love the sound of the 4490 then i should love the 4497.
what are your thoughts 4497 or 9038pro?

Marvda1,

This may confuse you more than help you, but this is what I considered adding when I last looked at the MP-D2 DAC's options:

Here's a little background info - I own a Gustard X20u dual 9018 DAC. A buddy in Taiwan bought the next model up with dual 9028 chips. I've read (but not heard) the 9038 is fairly similar, but with some improvement in SQ. My X20u does a good (but not a fantastic) job of converting to analog. It's a little more analytical and a little less warm than other chips. Since I 'discovered' the Tranquility DAC, I realize I prefer a warmer sound over an analytical sound. Until a couple weeks ago, I had a DAC with the 4490 chip (sold it). It's a little warmer sounding than my X20u and less analytical, I think. I also got to listen to two differently modded MP-D2 DACs at gregfisk's G2G last year, so I know it's a fine sounding DAC.  :thumb:

My expectation, based on reading only, is that the 4497 chip will have similar voicing to the 4490 chip (warmer/less analytical).

Anyway, I found myself choosing the 4497 chip over the 9038 based upon my experience listening to two Gustard models. Note that I did not place an order for the MkIII. I have not yet decided which DAC to buy to replace my X20u, but the MP-D2 is in the top five.

Helpful? Not so helpful?  :dunno:

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Michael

MiamiBoy

« Reply #165 on: 5 Oct 2018, 07:15 pm »
Does anyone have the update info on MK3 version?

:popcorn:

marvda1

« Reply #166 on: 7 Oct 2018, 05:32 am »
suppose to be out this month.

Tubeburner

« Reply #167 on: 7 Oct 2018, 09:00 pm »
Supposed to be pushed out to October the last I heard.

JakeJ

« Reply #169 on: 4 Dec 2018, 03:42 pm »
Now we need a comparison of the three chipsets in this new version!

rodge827

« Reply #170 on: 5 Dec 2018, 03:57 pm »
Looks like there is a connection for an external clock? Hard to see what type of connector it is.

Wonder if an external clock like this would work?   https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/live-clock/

yakbob

Upgrade questions
« Reply #171 on: 6 Dec 2018, 01:55 pm »
Hi all,
I recently purchased the MKII MP-D2, and after reading many of the threads here and on other forums, my head is spinning with upgrade paths. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge about my particular needs from this unit.

I'm currently sending a digital signal (coax) out from my Yamaha CD-S2100 to the MP-D2. I didn't "need" the MP DAC, but wanted to get some tubes back in my system after selling off my previously owned tubed SACD player. (Shanling T-200). I'm also running single ended RCAs out of the Yamaha to my pre-amp, and can easily switch between inputs on my pre to compare sound quality. My speakers are fairly revealing and efficient (Spatial Audio M3 TS).

While the MP-D2 provides a lush, liquid overall sound which is great for late night listening sessions, the sound stage is more two dimensional when compared to the Yamaha. The Yamaha (paired with the Spatials) puts the artists in my room. The MP-D2, puts the artists in the speakers. Instruments (most of my critical listening is jazz) tend to sound clumped together in-between the speakers and on one plane. There's not much image depth behind the speakers and almost none in front of the speakers. The "sparkle" and air at higher frequencies is also rolled off. Light brushes of the high hat or snare sometimes just aren't there (at lower volumes). My audio tastes lean towards the laid-back and polite, but the MP-D2 is just a little too far in that direction.

I'm currently running the stock tubes, but have also tried a Westinghouse 5U4G rectifier. I'm hoping to learn what tube and cap compliments I could try to improve the sound stage (width, height, depth), and bring back some of the air and sparkle I hear in the CD-S2100. I would like to start with tube replacements and work my way towards caps so I can learn what each replacement part is doing.

Thanks for any assistance.  :thumb:

Tubeburner

« Reply #172 on: 6 Dec 2018, 05:38 pm »
What is your coax cable? It sounds like to me that you are getting a poor signal to the dac. My 2 cents.....

yakbob

« Reply #173 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:26 pm »
Belden 1649a and Pangea Premier XL. Nothing exotic, but not in the box freebie cable either.
No change in sound between cables.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #174 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:40 pm »
Try some Telefunken, Siemens, Sylvania or vintage Tung Sol output tubes to get a larger soundstage and more top end.  For new stock, Gold Lion is pretty good for detail/air. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #175 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:51 pm »
I've now had the MP-D2 since January and am extremely satisfied with SQ.

My previous DAC history encompass Cambridge DAC1, Audio-Lab MDAC, Audio-GD Ref-5, iFi iDAC2, AMI Musik DS5 ... and some DAC's I may have forgotten.

Prior first power up of MP-D2 I installed following:

Rectifier tube: BRIMAR NOS 5Z4GY/CV1863 (Coke bottle)

Signal tubes: 4x MATCHED 6N23P 6Н23П VOSKHOD

Capacitors: Mundorf Silver/Gold 2,2 uF

My setup looks as follows: Norma Revo IPA-140 integrated amplifier, Gauder Akustik Arcona100 Speakers, MediaPC w. Roon.

Upgraded MP-D2 firmware to version 10-6 today, can't say I noticed any difference.

How would a DAC like this compare to an ifi DAC 2? I currently have the ifi DAC 2 but wonder what an upgrade would deliver. I do still like the ifi DAC 2 but if I can improve I would consider moving on up. Any thoughts.

yakbob

« Reply #176 on: 7 Dec 2018, 01:11 pm »
Thanks for the tube tips Tyson!
Tubeburner's suggestion on coax cable sent me behind the unit last night to recheck connections. I ended up flipping the gain switch to high which seemed to improve sound stage depth and the highs weren't as rolled off. This has a different effect than simply turning up the volume on my pre-amp at the lower gain setting. I understand from reading posts online that the high gain is intended for balanced output. I don't have a manual for this unit and can't seem to find one online. Does anyone know if it's okay to use the high gain with unbalanced output?

I'm also going to try a pair of BEL E88CC / 6922 tubes. Based on the Upscale Audio description, it sounds like they might offer the sound I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2018, 05:31 pm by yakbob »

marvda1

« Reply #177 on: 7 Dec 2018, 05:57 pm »
Try the national matsushita 7dj8, 6h23p, and  6h30pi.

yakbob

« Reply #178 on: 10 Dec 2018, 11:52 pm »
So I'm only one cd into listening after swapping out the stock driver tubes for the BEL E88CC tubes and feel pretty confident there was something wrong with the stock pair. The gain at my preamp is now very closely matched between the coax and analog outs from my CD. The high frequencies and "air" is back. Again, these aren't burned in yet, but I feel I'm heading in the right direction with this dac.

A new rectifier is on the way too, so I'll post a follow up after some significant listening.

chanv64

« Reply #179 on: 3 Jan 2019, 06:35 am »
So I'm only one cd into listening after swapping out the stock driver tubes for the BEL E88CC tubes and feel pretty confident there was something wrong with the stock pair. The gain at my preamp is now very closely matched between the coax and analog outs from my CD. The high frequencies and "air" is back. Again, these aren't burned in yet, but I feel I'm heading in the right direction with this dac.

A new rectifier is on the way too, so I'll post a follow up after some significant listening.
Hi Bob,
Do you have a chance to do any critical listening after you install the new rectifier? BTW, which rectifier did you get?