Replacing a 2012 Mac Mini

WGH

Re: Replacing a 2012 Mac Mini
« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2022, 04:15 pm »
I am right now looking for a off-site location to store a copy...

Please report back when you find one. I use Google One to move big files, $20 a year for 100GB is affordable.
I have 416GB of music, the next level of Google One storage is 2TB for $100 a year so I use a removable HDD for backup, it's only plugged while backing up, and use the money saved for more music.

jparkhur

« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2022, 04:18 pm »
I have a M1 Mini and love it after many others.  the new M2 and super mini will come out on Tuesday of next week so stay put for the time being.   these minis last a good 8 years running music and things.   

See apple post on new m2 mini and super mini pro

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2022, 05:54 pm »
I am thinking about moving my CD library to a Mac mini. Should I put my music on an external SSD?

External driver yes. Depends on your player. Pure Music (and i super others) load the entire song into RAM so that the drive and its connection are not doing anything so can’t get in the way.

But if you have a USB DAC you should be using a Thunderbolt drive (or vica versa).

dave

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2022, 06:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the great replies!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2022, 06:59 pm »
Please report back when you find one. I use Google One to move big files, $20 a year for 100GB is affordable.
I have 416GB of music, the next level of Google One storage is 2TB for $100 a year so I use a removable HDD for backup, it's only plugged while backing up, and use the money saved for more music.

Sorry if I've perverted this topic, veering away a bit from the OP's original request.  We can move it elsewhere if need be.

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know if I come up with something.  The Google prices seem reasonable.  My concern is the bandwidth.  I can see it taking weeks to transfer everything.  Right now I'm considering storing it at my brother's house, maybe even live on a small computer to make updates after taking over the full disk.

Remember what Tannenbaum said: “Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.“

ebag4

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:05 pm »
Sorry if I've perverted this topic, veering away a bit from the OP's original request.  We can move it elsewhere if need be.
No worries, not uncommon here on AC, haha.

I had the drive replaced, I have done this myself in the past but it was much quicker to have a repair shop take care of it while I was at work yesterday.  Reloaded Roon, set up network library and Tidal and now listening again!

Thanks for all the responses.  Just a note to describe what I saw with this failure, as someone mentioned it is fast when the SSD dies, this is the first SSD I have seen fail.  The first indication was a track freezing during play, requiring a reboot of the machine to clear, this happened a few times so I stopped until I could get a hardwired keyboard and mouse to run diagnostics.  The diagnostics checked out for everything until it got to the hardrive, the timer stopped but I thought that may have been due to the 1-4 hour check, it was still frozen the next day.  So yes, SSDs die very quickly.

Best,
Ed

Doublej

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:12 pm »

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know if I come up with something.  The Google prices seem reasonable.  My concern is the bandwidth.  I can see it taking weeks to transfer everything.  Right now I'm considering storing it at my brother's house, maybe even live on a small computer to make updates after taking over the full disk.

Remember what Tannenbaum said: “Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.“

Yes it will take a days or weeks to complete the initial backup to the cloud but who cares unless you have a super slow connection or are paying for data transfer.

I can't speak for how Google and iCloud storage behave. When I turned on OneDrive cloud backup it took care of syncing my data to the OneDrive cloud in the background.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:22 pm »
Yes it will take a days or weeks to complete the initial backup to the cloud but who cares unless you have a super slow connection or are paying for data transfer.

I can't speak for how Google and iCloud storage behave. When I turned on OneDrive cloud backup it took care of syncing my data to the OneDrive cloud in the background.

I would probably use MEGA; I already have a free account there, and can buy more for the same cost as Google.  Plus they have a native Linux client, and I am Linux(*nix) only.

But I do have limits on my bandwidth from my ISP, and get dinged if I go over 1TB in a month billing cycle.  It's not much though.

I'm really torn between that and just putting a spare NUC (which I have sitting in my lap) at a remote location, having populated it beforehand.

I should probably start a new thread entitled "backups" just to get an idea what others are doing.  They are making backups, no?  I hope!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #28 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:48 pm »
I started a new topic for backups in The Discless Circle.  I've perverted to original intent of @ebag4 too far.  Sorry about that @ebag4!