Headphone Time Life

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Headphone Time Life
« on: 29 Apr 2024, 06:09 pm »
HifiMan are talking about HP time life  :scratch:
I always thought headphones would last forever.
I have a Sony from early 1990s that is like new.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Headphone Time Life
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2024, 09:26 am »
The key feature in the ad are the connectors.  The worst thing about my old HE 400i is the terrible connectors.  Fiddly to install, easily broken, impossible to find replacements, and they come loose very easily.  I've forgotten the name of the connector type, such is the length of time I've given up on finding alternative cables.  The new standard connectors would extend the life of the entire headphone.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2024, 11:26 am »
And the ear pads. They dry out, crack, seams rip.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2024, 02:12 pm »
My 400 from 2012 arrived from China with the left side connector loose, what made a PITA screw the cable.
Seems the HifiMan Quality Control are non existent.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2024, 02:23 pm »
Referring to the text of the Ananda Nano presentation, it suggests that the drivers have a limited lifespan...which is not at all encouraging, mainly in view of the huge offer of refurbished and open-box phones in the HifiMan site, even the expensive $6000usd Susvara, resells for only $4200usd LOL

Said it, arises the question how long this life span would be?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2024, 10:27 am »
I love my Hifiman HE 400i headphones, but was very dismayed after I paid the full retail of $500 many years ago to see them going for $159 on their site just a couple years later.  This of course destroys any resale value and appears to be their business model across their lines.  When I thinned the herd a number of years ago I kept the phones not because they were my favorite, but because I could actually get a reasonable return on my Beyerdynamic and Grado models.  I'd never ever buy any Hifiman product at anywhere close to retail.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2024, 12:10 pm »
Nice your 400i is running OK after these years, the 400i is out of the line now, what they offer now are the 400SE at 109, what delivery a different sound, its said the 400se have more detailment(not my preference) and delivery a smaller soundstage than the 400i.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman/he-400i

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman/he400se

400SE cons:
Dip in the high-mid to low-treble weakens and veils vocals and lead instruments.
The passive soundstage performance of the HiFiMan HE400se is great. The soundstage seems wide, natural, and open. However, the headphones have some trouble creating an out-of-head experience, and audio can sound like it's coming from inside your head rather than from speakers placed in front of you.

In my experience with the 400 2012 it can delivery a better sound and out of the head sundstage with a Balanced XLR4 cable.

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2024, 12:57 pm »
I'd never ever buy any Hifiman product at anywhere close to retail.
I'd never ever buy any (insert manufacturer here) product at anywhere close to retail.
Fortunately it didn’t take too long to come to this conclusion, but it was still a financially painful lesson. There are of course some exceptions but, whether it’s the market or manufacturer undercutting, audio resale values are dismaying.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2024, 01:52 pm »
dismayed after I paid the full retail of $500 many years ago to see them going for $159 on their site just a couple years later.
You are seeing audio as a investment, in 2013/14 I paid $300 + ship + Customs duties of 100% and not complain for an HE400. HifiMan is not stagnant as Audeze, his drivers evolved and the 400/500 line prices have declined, its not HifiMan fault.
« Last Edit: 3 May 2024, 07:42 pm by FullRangeMan »