Owners Audition list.

Saturn94

Re: Owners Audition list.
« Reply #180 on: 17 May 2010, 07:31 pm »
It's been too long to remember, and I'm too busy at the moment to get them out of storage and set them up.  I know the HT3s have a lower base response.  And, while the 1290s were very accurate and netural, the quality of the drivers were much less than those used in the HT3s.  I loved the 1290s, mind you, but HT3s are in a completely different class.  Song Towers might be a better comparision, but I've never heard any Song Towers.

Contact Jim and see if there are any owners in your area.  Someone will probably let you audition Salks.

Chris

Thanks.  I contacted Jim and hopefully he can refer me to an owner nearby.

Looking again at the prices, realistically I think the HT3 is out of my range, although it would still be nice to hear them to see what qualities you get in such a speaker.  Looks like the HT2's are at the top of my range.  I wonder how much they are like the HT3s and what are the key differences?  If the SongTowers are along the lines of my 1290's, perhaps the HT2s would be a good upgrade?

Thanks again.  I greatly appreciate all the help and replies.

PS - I just noticed that the V3 is also in the price range I'm considering.  How does this speaker compare to the HT line?

greenhouseman

« Reply #181 on: 18 May 2010, 02:59 pm »

Looking again at the prices, realistically I think the HT3 is out of my range, although it would still be nice to hear them to see what qualities you get in such a speaker.  Looks like the HT2's are at the top of my range.  I wonder how much they are like the HT3s and what are the key differences?  If the SongTowers are along the lines of my 1290's, perhaps the HT2s would be a good upgrade?

PS - I just noticed that the V3 is also in the price range I'm considering.  How does this speaker compare to the HT line?
[/quote

Sent you a PM ----- Greenhouseman

Big Red Machine

« Reply #182 on: 18 May 2010, 03:47 pm »

I've had HT3's, V3's, Archos, Songtowers, and HT2TL's.  If your budget only allows $4k, then get the HT2TL's in basic form w/o worrying about upgrades in them.  If trying to do an HT set-up them go ST's and perhaps add ribbons if you can swing the cost if you're doing multiple speakers and have the same budget limit.

Saturn94

« Reply #183 on: 18 May 2010, 04:48 pm »
  I've had HT3's, V3's, Archos, Songtowers, and HT2TL's.  If your budget only allows $4k, then get the HT2TL's in basic form w/o worrying about upgrades in them.  If trying to do an HT set-up them go ST's and perhaps add ribbons if you can swing the cost if you're doing multiple speakers and have the same budget limit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My speakers do pull double duty for 2 channel music and HT.  Right now I'm using a pair of ADS L1290/2s for L&R and NHTs for center/surrounds (don't remember the model numbers).  Even though all the speakers aren't and exact match, it works well for me.

I really didn't plan on replacing all my speakers, just the L&R speakers.  Hopefully my existing center and surrounds would still work well with the new speakers for HT use.

ctouhey

« Reply #184 on: 18 May 2010, 05:05 pm »
[snip]

I really didn't plan on replacing all my speakers, just the L&R speakers.  Hopefully my existing center and surrounds would still work well with the new speakers for HT use.

Personally, I think it's important to match the front 3 speakers for a number of reasons.  The rears are less important and can be of a different design/brand/etc. (unless you listen to a significant amount of 5 channel music).

Chris

Big Red Machine

« Reply #185 on: 18 May 2010, 05:33 pm »
Agreed.  Maybe Saturn could best spend his money by getting Songtowers all across the front and adding the surrounds later.  That's what I am going to do.  If ribbon tweeters are preferred for the 2 channel listening then that could be an option, but for HT I enjoy the dome very much and the ribbon would be overkill (in the dedicated HT).

If HT2TL's then the center becomes more expensive and may prevent a complete trio ensemble in short order.

Saturn94

« Reply #186 on: 18 May 2010, 05:44 pm »
Personally, I think it's important to match the front 3 speakers for a number of reasons.  The rears are less important and can be of a different design/brand/etc. (unless you listen to a significant amount of 5 channel music).

Chris

Agreed.  As a matter of fact, for multichannel music I do not use the center and let the L&R speakers create a phantom center (my DVD-A/SACD player has center set to OFF).

The less than ideal sonic match of the center with the L&R speakers is much more apparent with music than HT.  With HT they sound just fine together.  I think part of the reason for this is the fact when listening to music I'm focused on just the music.  With HT, my attention is divided between the image on the screen and the sound (probably more on the image than the sound).
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm by Saturn94 »

Saturn94

« Reply #187 on: 18 May 2010, 05:55 pm »
Agreed.  Maybe Saturn could best spend his money by getting Songtowers all across the front and adding the surrounds later.  That's what I am going to do.  If ribbon tweeters are preferred for the 2 channel listening then that could be an option, but for HT I enjoy the dome very much and the ribbon would be overkill (in the dedicated HT).

If HT2TL's then the center becomes more expensive and may prevent a complete trio ensemble in short order.

Considering I want something that will be a significant upgrade to my current L&R speakers (ADS L1290/2s), I'm not sure if the SongTowers would suffice.  I really need to find a way to audition these speakers! :(

R Swerdlow

« Reply #188 on: 18 May 2010, 08:36 pm »
Considering I want something that will be a significant upgrade to my current L&R speakers (ADS L1290/2s), I'm not sure if the SongTowers would suffice.  I really need to find a way to audition these speakers! :(

Hampton, VA is about 2.5-3 hours away from Bethesda, Maryland, the home of Dennis Murphy, in whose basement you will find the only Salk showroom on the east coast, as well as the fabled Salk Sound Research & Development Laboratories.

If your ADS speakers can be moved without a forklift, bring one or both, and compare them side-by-side with some Salks.  It's well worth the trip.

If Dennis is busy, I'm another 20 miles away in Gaithersburg, MD.  I have a pair of SongTowers.

Saturn94

« Reply #189 on: 18 May 2010, 08:53 pm »
Hampton, VA is about 2.5-3 hours away from Bethesda, Maryland, the home of Dennis Murphy, in whose basement you will find the only Salk showroom on the east coast, as well as the fabled Salk Sound Research & Development Laboratories.

If your ADS speakers can be moved without a forklift, bring one or both, and compare them side-by-side with some Salks.  It's well worth the trip.

If Dennis is busy, I'm another 20 miles away in Gaithersburg, MD.  I have a pair of SongTowers.

Thanks for the great information and the offer.

How do I contact Dennis Murphy?

R Swerdlow

« Reply #190 on: 18 May 2010, 09:02 pm »

Send a PM to DMurphy via audiocircle.  He reads this site regularly.

You can also email him by going to his DIY website http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html and click on the contact link at the bottom.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #191 on: 18 May 2010, 11:38 pm »

Hopefully not violently.  I'm very delicate.  The Wehawken Rd. studios are open to all comers--just let me know what would be convenient for you.  Cheers, dennis

woodsart

« Reply #192 on: 1 Jun 2010, 03:55 am »
Hello, I am interested in auditioning Salk Songtower QWTs. Located in the Richmond, Virginia area.

Thanks,
Rob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #193 on: 1 Jun 2010, 03:47 pm »
Hello, I am interested in auditioning Salk Songtower QWTs. Located in the Richmond, Virginia area.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi   I may turn out to be the closest you will come (Washington, d.c.), so let me know if you can't locate someone in Richmond. 

woodsart

« Reply #194 on: 1 Jun 2010, 04:19 pm »
DMurphy, Thanks, I will do that. My son is a Marine at Quantico and sometimes I have to go with him to the hospital, so I might hook up with you down the road. I appreciate your offering.

Hopefully, there are Salk owners in Richmond. I have also contacted Jim.

Rob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #195 on: 1 Jun 2010, 06:54 pm »

I was born in Bethesda Hospital as my dad was stationed there in 1969. (25 years Navy).

While I do not have many models to audition, I do have the HT2-TL speakers in my showroom available for audition for those on the upper East Coast.

Glenee

« Reply #196 on: 5 Jun 2010, 02:39 am »
Any Salk Owners in Oklahoma City Area ?
Thanks,
Glen

woodsart

« Reply #197 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:49 pm »
Looking for some in the Myrtle Beach area for a Songtower audition...the end of July 2010.

Thanks

floresjc

« Reply #198 on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:24 pm »
I'm in Omaha, NE and would be willing to host anyone who would make the trek.

I have:

HT2-TL's
SongTowers
15" Rythmik sub, dual passive radiator design

AVA Insight Double 440, 240 and 240/3 amps, Insight DAC, Insight EC preamp with remote

PM if interested as I rarely look at this thread. I'm moving homes, so my setup will be in flux until perhaps mid/late July 2010, but there's no reason at least a 2-channel setup wouldn't be up if you wanted to hear either speaker or both.

jw87c

« Reply #199 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:19 pm »
I'm looking for audition opportunities in areas within the driving distance of North West Arkansas (Fayetteville AR, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO,  ...). Thanks!!!