i think im opening up a can of worms - all i want is kumbaya

smargo

i wish that more of the reviewers who wrote for the major magazines and not so major magazines and ezines - would get involved more with people on this site and other neutral sites - where audio people mingle

wouldnt it help sell magazines and get respected more if they actually took a genuine interest and answered questions - my experience is that they get involved to an extent - but god forbid they really get involved - its like once you become an official reviewer you become a part of the cult - there are a indeed exceptions - im not naming names

i guess specifically im talking about a said reviewer who commented and reviewed the sony hap z1es but never responded to questions that concern the player. Why do some people critique equipment and never sort of be human - oh i said it (be human)

just get involved more - instead of being a robot - because it makes me think that my opinion and other opinions/questions are substandard and dont really matter

i know i opened up a can of worms - and this is not meant to be a diatribe - but a hoping that a perceived gap (by me) will be bridged

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: i think im opening up a can of worms - all i want is kumbaya
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:08 pm »
A can of worms only has value if one is going fishing.   :thumb:

Some reviewers do get involved in forums, and you might be surprised how many are here on AC.  The problem is, no matter what they'd say about a product somebody would take issue with it, and the last thing they need/want would be a flood of emails taking up their time, or starting pissing contests on an AC thread about one's opinion.

Reviewers have a right to say what they think, and leave it up to us to judge the validity of their words.  We don't like their conclusions?  Fine.  But they don't owe us a conversation about it.

« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2014, 12:41 am by thunderbrick »

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm »
I agree with Thunderbrick. No matter how carefully a reviewer couches their words, a positive review of any product brings a host of naysayers, haters, conspiracy theorists, rapid objectivists, and unhappy subjectivists out of the woodwork. Quite a few reviewers do respond to individual questions on magazine's websites and other audio websites. Those that chose to publish and remain silent thereafter have an understandable position IMO.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:30 am »
The nattering nabobs of negativity, as Spiro Agnew so eloquently put it!

smargo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:35 am »
Those that chose to publish and remain silent thereafter have an understandable position IMO.

i totally disagree - remaining silent is wierdness - all the reviewer posted was a link to his review of the sony player and then 2 guys later asked him an honest question

and the reviewer kind of disappeared - it just seems wierd - why even post a link if your not going to engage a little

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2014, 02:55 am »
Reviewers get paid to write their observations based on their "ear", experience with other components, writing ability (hopefully) and the system they know well.   Others with similar backgrounds may compare the review to their own experience and perhaps discuss intelligently.

The last thing they need is someone whose feelings get hurt when their item gets dissed, or are convinced their "baby" is much better.  In their system/music/ears/room, maybe.  But that's not what the reviewer heard so it's kind of a moot point.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2014, 03:00 am »
Reviewers get paid to write their observations based on their "ear", experience with other components, writing ability (hopefully) and the system they know well.   Others with similar backgrounds may compare the review to their own experience and perhaps discuss intelligently.

The last thing they need is someone whose feelings get hurt when their item gets dissed, or are convinced their "baby" is much better.  In their system/music/ears/room, maybe.  But that's not what the reviewer heard so it's kind of a moot point.
Hi (Again) thunderbrick and all Audio Circle members.
There are lots of forums where the frustrated audiophile/owner of equipment can post their dissagreement with the reviewer.
Same thing applies if you agree with the reviewer.

Guy 13

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2014, 03:14 am »
So true!   :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2014, 08:08 am »
and the reviewer kind of disappeared - it just seems wierd - why even post a link if your not going to engage a little

Because it's free advertising.

Assuming we're talking about professional reviewers, I'd say the comments have been fair enough, they're paid to write publishable reviews, not to talk on forums. I've seen lots of reviewers interact on forums but I'm sure they have to keep the time (and stress) factor under control.