Dealer or Manufacturer trade-in on new equipment

mtruong34

Dealer or Manufacturer trade-in on new equipment
« on: 7 Oct 2013, 05:32 pm »
For any of you who have traded in your old gear towards purchase of new gear, what's the typical value you are getting in return?  Let's say, what percentage of the trade-in credit versus selling on Audiocircle/Audiogon.  Also, is there less haggling (do you get less of a discount) if you are trading in versus buying outright?

Phil A

Re: Dealer or Manufacturer trade-in on new equipment
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2013, 06:59 pm »
For any of you who have traded in your old gear towards purchase of new gear, what's the typical value you are getting in return?  Let's say, what percentage of the trade-in credit versus selling on Audiocircle/Audiogon.  Also, is there less haggling (do you get less of a discount) if you are trading in versus buying outright?

There is Blue Book value for traded in equipment.  I'm not sure one can really use a general percentage.  For example a 5 year old DAC might not be worth the same percent as a 5 year old quality amplifier.  It is just that digital technology changes more rapidly.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2013, 07:31 pm »
Very generally speaking 50%-60% of MSRP is what you can expect to get from selling gear on your own, but like Phil said, it is very dependent on the age, popularity, and condition, and number of prior owners of whatever it is you're selling. If you trade or sell your gear at a store, expect to get half (ie about 25% - 30% of MSRP) of what you'd get selling on your own. Stores know that they can only get about what you'd get selling on your own, so they need more meat left on the bone for it to be even be worth their time / risk. It's just the way it is. It is quite similar to buying/selling/trading a vehicle........and is why many people in this hobby like buying and trying used gear. The loss, if sold later, can be negated almost entirely if you're savvy. In some cases you might even make a few bucks when you resell........but you're better off understanding that you most likely will lose a few bucks here and there. Think of it as rent. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2013, 09:07 pm »
Generally, if something has decent value and demand, I'll sell it on my own.  If something is not of much value, I'll often either rotate it to a secondary system or give it away.  For example, I have a surround sound receiver on a secondary computer now that was formerly used in my bedroom system and is about 10 years old.  It doesn't hold much value and I'll probably give it away.  I recently upgraded a DAC in the main system.  I bought the old DAC lightly used (about 3 weeks) and got about 80% of what I paid for it.  It was a brand that holds value well and I bought it a few hundred less than what it costs the seller originally.  I also recently sold a preamp/process I bought used a few years back.  I got about 70% of what I paid for it but I got it at a good deal.  As the other post noted, dealers are not usually going to give one an overly generouse deal on something traded in.  Buying used right is not the worst way to go, especially with something that has a demand.

mtruong34

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for some new gear and have a lot of nice stuff laying around and was wondering if it was worth it to sell on my own or to trade in. Obviously there is the convenience factor but the biggest factor is not having to deal with any potential post sales headaches. I remember selling a DAC/Headphone amp once and spent several days troubleshooting the guy's computer connection to the DAC. I eventually solved it for him by finding out he had installed ASIO4ALL which was interfering with the DAC's driver. And then for several weeks after that troubleshooting hiss on certain headphones, sample rate indicator lights and so forth. Like it was some kind of warranty service.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2013, 11:25 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for some new gear and have a lot of nice stuff laying around and was wondering if it was worth it to sell on my own or to trade in. Obviously there is the convenience factor but the biggest factor is not having to deal with any potential post sales headaches. I remember selling a DAC/Headphone amp once and spent several days troubleshooting the guy's computer connection to the DAC. I eventually solved it for him by finding out he had installed ASIO4ALL which was interfering with the DAC's driver. And then for several weeks after that troubleshooting hiss on certain headphones, sample rate indicator lights and so forth. Like it was some kind of warranty service.

I understand.  That's one reason why if something doesn't have great value, I am not going to take the time to list it, take pictures, answer ads, etc.  My time is certainly important and I never have enough of it. I don't sell nearly as much stuff as I use to.  I'll only sell something usually by pricing it right (so it goes fast) and if it will generate interest.  I recently sold a friend a nice old Marantz 7300 OSE (orig special ed) rec'r at a steal and threw in a Blu-Ray player, HDMI switch and a Blu-Ray movie.  I could have gotten more money but he had a use for it and it was no hassle or time.