Audiogon's new flat fee?

JakeJ

Audiogon's new flat fee?
« on: 18 Apr 2013, 07:42 am »
What is your opinion?  This is not meant to be a rant thread, just wondering what y'all think.

srb

Re: Audiogon's new flat fee?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2013, 09:17 am »
Well, $1050 is the break even point ($4 listing fee plus 2% of $1050).

So it depends on the selling price and how popular the particular brand/model is.  Some more obscure items might take several listings to sell or even not sell at all, and each failed listing would cost $25 instead of $4.

Since Audiogon is obviously losing some commissions to dishonest sellers that avoid the transaction fees, I think I would have offered the Flat Fee listing as a 60 day listing instead of 30 days.  I think that feature of additional time (beyond the twelve photos and phone number) might generate more revenue in the long run on what might be a "tough call" decision.

Steve

revrob

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2013, 11:23 am »
Its rare, at least in my case that something sells the first time. So I would also like to see a 60 day listing or re-list free for the second time if item does not sell initially.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2013, 01:54 pm »
Since Audiogon is obviously losing some commissions to dishonest sellers that avoid the transaction fees..
They also seem to have some more competition now, as I believe the new(?) Positive Feedback site has a new (?) buy/sell section.

cheers,

AJ

tomytoons

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:07 pm »
I have not used them at all.
The last 3 items I have sold were on the FREE boards. So yea they are losing a bit.
Positive Feedback requires a Face Book account which I refuse to use.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:23 pm »
They also seem to have some more competition now, as I believe the new(?) Positive Feedback site has a new (?) buy/sell section.

cheers,

AJ
I've had ads lately on several of the competitor sites with zero worthwhile potential buyer responses other than Audiogon and here on AC. Now it's just becoming very fragmented with new entrants.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:33 pm »
I've had ads lately on several of the competitor sites with zero worthwhile potential buyer responses other than Audiogon and here on AC. Now it's just becoming very fragmented with new entrants.

I have had decent luck with Audio Asylum ads, in addition to AC and A'gon (as a last resort).

jaywills

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:37 pm »
Since you would have to sell equipment for more than a grand to generate this fee under the old system and only if the item actually sold, this appears to be simply an extension of the old heads-we-win-tails-you-lose theory by Audiogon's new owners.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:44 pm »
I still don't like it.  The ads should cost the same no matter what the asking price is.  Audiogon exerts the exact same amount of effort (near nothing) for every ad posted, be it for a $10 tube or a $100K pair of speakers.

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2013, 05:05 pm »
I still don't like it.  The ads should cost the same no matter what the asking price is.  Audiogon exerts the exact same amount of effort (near nothing) for every ad posted, be it for a $10 tube or a $100K pair of speakers.

A'Gon gives valuable exposure which is worth the nominal fees, regardless of the cost of the item.  I made the mistake of selling some amps on eBay thinking I would get better exposure and a higher selling price, wrong!  Everything that I have listed on A'Gon, sold pronto and at true market prices. 

I've also bought on A'Gon and was happy on that side as well.

Jim

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2013, 05:46 pm »
I found a great buyer on http://www.usaudiomart.com/     The website also works well.  Unfortunately I only sold one of five items I listed.

When I return from vacation I will have to revisit Audiogon.  :cry:  Nothing I have for sale would warrant using the new flat fee option.

rooze

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2013, 06:19 pm »
No one complains more about those buggers than I do. But I have to give them their dues (pun intended), at least they're responding to user-feedback and giving people some options. Obviously the $25 flat fee is attractive to anyone offering a realistic selling price on a higher ticket item.

But my main beef with AG isn't their fees, it's their broken messaging system. I've had situations both as a buyer and a seller where messages have not gotten through to the other party when using their system. You can't expect a smooth transaction with a broken system of communication, it's bad enough dealing with some of the idiots without being able to yell at them efficiently with a PM  :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2013, 06:28 pm »
Yes,  it is extremely difficult to send a "Howler"  :cuss: when your owl keeps getting lost.

But my main beef with AG isn't their fees, it's their broken messaging system. I've had situations both as a buyer and a seller where messages have not gotten through to the other party when using their system. You can't expect a smooth transaction with a broken system of communication, it's bad enough dealing with some of the idiots without being able to yell at them efficiently with a PM  :lol:

4krow

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2013, 09:30 pm »
 I rarely use AG anymore, not because it wasn't a good site for the first 10 years or so, but because they have had me shaking my head MANY times in the last couple of years. In the past, I had great dealings with them and the members. This most recent move is one that I would shy away from, as most of my for sale items are under the $1k point. Used to be a good site that I visited daily....not anymore.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2013, 09:52 pm »
Right idea, wrong amount.  As others have mentioned, you'd have to sell something for more than $1K and within the 30 days, which might be ok for more valuable / popular items, but no for other stuff. For me that rarely deals in stuff much over $1K, I'd stay with the old fee / commission system. 

Ideally I'd prefer a flat percentage vs flat fee with unlimited time.  E.g. 1% of value until it sells.  Maybe 2% tops.  Wishful thinking, I know....