Improving and quality Bass

AlrJordan

Improving and quality Bass
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:25 am »
Hi,

currently my floorstand speakers are using spikes and placed on granite slab. The granite slab sit on raised wooden floor. There's a think layer of cork sheet between the wooden floor and granite slab.

I'm looking at ways to improve the quantity and quality of the bass notes. It's there but somehow a bit blurry and not too well defined.

What are the appropriate Herbie's product should I use to have get this improvements?

Thanks.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Improving and quality Bass
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 03:06 pm »
Hi. Using Big Fat Dots instead of cork sheet should give substantial imrovement. With Big Fat Dots or other dBNeutralizer-based support, you should get a better defined, more linear, deeply extending bass.

Bass response is also an acoustic phenomenon. Location and positioning of the speakers has considerable impact. For example, placing the speakers closer to the wall behind them or closer to the corners of a room will bring out a stronger bass. Placing the speakers farther away from the back wall will usually give a less strong bass but better stereo imaging. It's a matter of finding the best combination of factors.

To make it easy to move your speakers while achieving excellent isolation/decoupling, you could use Big Fat Dots between the speaker and slab instead of spikes and use Fat Gliders under the slab.

With dBNeutralizer material between loudspeaker and floor, you'll often find that you don't really need a granite slab. If you have Big Fat Dots for use under the slabs, you can also audition the speakers directly on the Big Fat Dots without the granite (a granite slab often does more good on top of a speaker than under it). With some experimentation and diligence, you should be able to achieve a result closer to the potential of your gear.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 12:54 am by Herbie »

AlrJordan

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 03:32 pm »
Hi. Using Big Fat Dots instead of cork sheet should give substantial imrovement. With Big Fat Dots or other dBNeutralizer-based support, you should get a better defined, more linear, deeply extending bass.

Bass response is also an acoustic phenomenon. Location and positioning of the speakers has considerable impact. For example, placing the speakers closer to the wall behind them or closer to the corners of a room will bring out a stronger bass. Placing the speakers farther away from the back wall will usually give a less strong bass but better stereo imaging. It's a matter of finding the best combination of factors.

To make it easy to move your speakers while achieving excellent isolation/decoupling, you could use Big Fat Dots between the speaker and slab instead of spikes and use Fat Gliders under the slab.

With dBNeutralizer material between loudspeaker and floor, you'll often find that you don't really need a granite slab. If you have Big Fat Dots for use under the slabs, you can also audition the speakers directly on the Big Fat Dots without the granite (a granite slab often does more good on top of a speaker than under it). With some experimentation and diligence, you should be able to achieve a result closer to the potential of your gear.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Thanks Steve for your advice and recommendation. I think I'll start with 4 big fat dots under each speaker directly sitting on the wooden floor.

Gary

AlrJordan

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:20 am »
Hi Steve,

I've received the Big Fat Dots. They're nicely packed. I've used them to replace the cork sheet between the granite slab and the wooden floor. After some placement fine tuning, the improvements are great. Bass is more defined, clarity is improved, depth and sound stage has also improved.  :D

Due to my laziness (my bad) :(, I'm quite reluctant to try the dots directly between speaker and wood floor cos I'll need to removed the spikes, etc. So I was wondering, will getting the cone/spike grounding for the speaker spikes to granite slab will be a good choice and further enhance improvements? Or getting the cone/spike decoupling glider is better? I would like my speaker to be in a fixed position and not easily moved/shifted.

Regards,
Gary

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2010, 08:41 pm »
Hi, Gary. I'm glad the Big Fat Dots are working well for you. There's potential for additional benefit by using Cone/Spike Grounding Bases under your present spikes. Though Decoupling Gliders would work just as well sonically, they would not be practical, especially if you want your speakers not easily moved (Gliders are designed for easy mobility of the speakers).

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

AlrJordan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:39 am »
Hi Steve,

Thank You once again for your fast shipment.

Thank You for such wonderful and cost effective products. They all worked well in my system.

The Cone/Spike grounding bass brings further improvements. Clarity, darker background, sound staging.

The preamp ultrasonic tube dampers are just FANTASTIC. I'm using them on my cd player as well as my hybrid amp.

I started putting 1 damper in the cd player. The improvements are instant. WOW!!!  :thumb:Everything is cleaned up nicely. Basically, as what you've described in your products' capability, they did all you've said. it's as if a thick curtain has been unveiled and the music just flows as it is.

Next, I put 2 other dampers into my hybrid amp. And again, they did wonder!!! All the muddy, blurry, congested sounds (NOT music) are gone. Now I'm listening to music.  :lol:

I've yet to fine tune the dampers position to (maybe) optimize the potential further . But I'm already very happy with what they've done.

For those using tube gears, do yourself a favor by trying these dampers. Highly recommended.

My setup is sitting on less than ideal condition. I do not have proper solid racks. Speakers are on raised wooden floor. All the vibrations are interfering each other (all audio components). Your products have helped me a lot. THANK YOU.

I'm a skeptic but now I'm totally convinced of your products. I will be looking at ordering more of your products to further treat other chains of vibrations.

Lastly, IMHO, your products do their job at tackling vibrations and they do not introduce any sound signature while doing their job. They're neutral. That's very commendable.

Cheers,
Gary  :green: