Widely enjoyed classical recordings

Infidel

Widely enjoyed classical recordings
« on: 1 Aug 2023, 04:35 am »
Hi, I have wanted to delve into classical music for a long time, but the cost of purchasing pieces which I may or may not enjoy had kept me from jumping in. Are there specific pieces which are very widely enjoyed, and which "pressings", so to speak, would be the most widely considered good? I know that this is a very ambiguous question, as there is such variety in the classical world, so some recommendations for  orchestral, some for chamber music, and so forth would be appreciated. I understand that tastes vary, so mainstream would be a good start, and few recommendations as I haven't hit the lottery lately, so can only purchase a handful of titles. Thanks for your help.

richidoo

Re: Widely enjoyed classical recordings
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2023, 06:12 pm »
RCA Victor "Living Stereo" series of recordings was extremely popular in its day, and many of these versions became the "standard" at least to the public.

Classical has changed a lot since then, in recording technology, interpretation, musician skill, marketing, etc.

I discovered music I liked mostly from listening to classical radio/internet stream, then diving deeper into composers and performers that I heard and liked on radio. WCPE is good one but there are many online.

I subscribed to Gramophone magazine a decade ago and the reviews were helpful trying new music but t was pricey mag.y I now subscribe to some recording label newletters like Reference Recordings, and I listen to "Preview" on WCPE which features new releases. I prefer new recordings to the old classic recordings. I don't like the old dramatic exaggerated style of classical performances from mid 20th century. Modern interpretations tend to be more literal, as written, which I greatly prefer.

Best advice I can offer is subscribe to a lossless streaming service like Qobuz, Tidal, etc, then you can explore new music easily and much less cost than buying CDs 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2023, 06:49 pm »
You can peruse YT tô know Classical  music before the purchase.
For beginners I would rec some easy repertoire as Cármen, 1812, Bolero Ravel and some Rossini Operetas.

Classical Easy listening repertoire are surprising enjoyable, I always return to it every week to relax from Krautrock and Ambient.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2023, 10:31 pm by FullRangeMan »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2023, 10:33 pm »
Google Classical basic repertoire or words to that effect. 
Here's brief list that looks mostly ok...   https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/best-classical-music-beginners/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2023, 10:52 pm »
These are some albums with great musicality>
DG low rate PCM recording not great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e0pPwIYyOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1kOOunlRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6edOETC-aE

For instrumental Wagner selection buy this gem asap before it end, great SACD sound quality from Duisburger Philharmoniker under Jonathan Darlington.
https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6217

The 1812 Overture went one of Tchaikovsky most popular works, along with his ballet scores to The Nutcracker, The Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake always recommended also.
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2023, 12:05 am by FullRangeMan »

Infidel

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2023, 04:08 am »
Wow, thanks guys. I don't have radio reception where my stereo is located or I could have made use of the radio. I certainly appreciate all the great resource and selection recommendations. I actually do have the 1812, used to have it on vinyl too. One thing about listening, the same music of years gets a bit boring for me, but it seems that there is so much more to classical, I think that repetition will be more enjoyable than a lot of pop music is. Thanks again!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2023, 07:11 pm »
Pretty much anything by Beethoven, that guy was a genius and also wrote a ton of great melodies.

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2023, 08:01 pm »
Pretty much anything by Beethoven, that guy was a genius and also wrote a ton of great melodies.
I'd equate Beethoven to Ted Williams, the great baseball player and last to bat .400-- meaning the about half of Beethoven's stuff is good, and the other half rather boring.   
Chopin had a much higher on base average.   
But, to make a quick off the top of my head list:
Beethoven symphonies #3,5,6,7,9 and piano sonatas
Chopin etudes, nocturnes, waltzes, scherzos, ballades
Liszt Hungarian rhapsodies piano concertos
Grieg piano concerto, Peer Gynt suites
Bach- too many to list
Copland Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring, Rodeo
Barber Adagio for Strings
Albanoni Adagio
Rachmaninoff 2nd piano concerto
Vivaldi 4 seasons
Rossini Overtures
Debussy Clair de Lune and others
Mozart Requiem
Rodrigo Conceirto de Aranjuez
Eric Satie Trios Gymnopedie
Dvorak New World symphony
Holst the Planets
Rimsky-Korsikov  Scheherazade, Cappricio
Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite, Cappricio, Violin concerto
Dukas The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain, Pictures at an Exhibition

All these are top quality, and just as important, they are approachable by those new to classical music.  Much of 20th century classical can be beautiful, but it's not what I'd recommend for newcomers.   But you never know... Scriabin might just up your alley. 
... and that's just scratching the surface.  Ask Tyson, and he'll add dozens more I didn't list.  Ask any classical fan, and you'll get another list of unarguably great music.   

Infidel

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2023, 03:35 am »
I'm a bit overwhelmed. I did check out the YouTube videos, nice pieces. I just got the latest, and unfortunately the final version of the Don Sachs DS2 preamp, added CuTF V-Caps to bypass the ODAMs, and gave it a listen. It's hard to believe that he has designed a DHT preamp which he says, and I always listen to what Don says, is far superior to the DS2. With the Teflon caps, it's difficult to imagine better, but I guess DHT technology and transformer coupling is even better. Anyway, I'll be busy for some time trying to get through this list. Much appreciated. Due to all the issues, turntable, arm, cartridges, stepup devices, new pressing costing too much, and still having lots of surface noise even with brand new, freshly cleaned and LAST treated records. It overwhelmed me, and with a few modifications my Lampizator, with good material, sounds far better than I was ever able to get vinyl ever did, to me, in my system. Audio is a personal preference. There are  no absolutes as long as the listener is content.

sounddog

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2023, 02:45 pm »
We listen almost entirely to classical music and I know it can be a bit overwhelming at first. I encourage you to get on the email list for Presto Music Classical (you can just go to their website and search for music, but I think getting on their email list would be helpful). I suggest this because nearly all the albums they have, allow you to sample each movement of each piece. The samples are each about 1 minute long and perhaps that would help you decide on a few pieces you’d like to consider further. Presto’s weekly Music News will cover perhaps 10 new releases (again most can be sampled); it also periodically will show BBC recommendations, Gramophone’s monthly Editors’ Choices and Presto’s monthly top picks. I personally like Gramophone’s recommendations best, then Presto’s and last would be BBC’s, but your preferences might differ. It also lists periodic sales for various music labels. Presto recently introduced its own streaming service and offers  a free trial (I have not explored this service as we use Quobuz for streaming).

I hope this is helpful.

Infidel

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2023, 04:44 pm »
Thanks Sounddog! I am putting together 2 systems currently, but I can certainly take a break long enough to check them out! 😀

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2023, 06:23 pm »
Hi, I have wanted to delve into classical music for a long time, but the cost of purchasing pieces which I may or may not enjoy had kept me from jumping in. Are there specific pieces which are very widely enjoyed, and which "pressings", so to speak, would be the most widely considered good? I know that this is a very ambiguous question, as there is such variety in the classical world, so some recommendations for  orchestral, some for chamber music, and so forth would be appreciated. I understand that tastes vary, so mainstream would be a good start, and few recommendations as I haven't hit the lottery lately, so can only purchase a handful of titles. Thanks for your help.

Look int the Berlin Philharmonic.  They offer streaming services, plus access to their library.  I have the 25 year DVD Box Set, which I enjoy very much.

YouTube has a lot of classical recordings available for listening/viewing as well. 

Infidel

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2023, 06:50 pm »
Hi Freo-1, thanks! I'll look into that!

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2023, 07:36 pm »
If you sign up for Tidal or Qobuz, you get streaming access to almost all major recordings in the classical music world, and in excellent sound.

Infidel

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2023, 07:52 pm »
Thanks Tyson, this is getting to be a bit overwhelming though guys. I only have 2 ears you know! 😉 I do appreciate the information to be sure though!

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2023, 08:37 pm »
.. this is getting to be a bit overwhelming though guys...

Of course it's overwhelming.  What you are asking for is a "hits" list from the last 500 years.  It's sort of like saying, "I want to start appreciating art.  Where do I begin?" 
Just pick out a piece from any basic list and give it a listen on YouTube.  Pick one a day.  Some will appeal to you and others won't.  But your life will be richer for the effort.   

Infidel

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2023, 08:57 pm »
Of course it's overwhelming.  What you are asking for is a "hits" list from the last 500 years.  It's sort of like saying, "I want to start appreciating art.  Where do I begin?" 
Just pick out a piece from any basic list and give it a listen on YouTube.  Pick one a day.  Some will appeal to you and others won't.  But your life will be richer for the effort.

Logic helps. There are only x number that were well recorded, X number that were well conducted, x number that were well coordinated, only 100 years had recordings, of these, only 60 years perhaps had quality equipment, and of these there are some considered exemplary. Ask me my favorite rendition of Laya. It's been around for 40 to 50 years, recorded multiple times by its author, and many more times by others. Yet there is one recording I think is awesome, so to me that would be an excellent representation of pop music. Sure, there is a slew, but I don't want to burry anyone, what purpose would that serve? I guess I see things differently. Had I known what I wanted, perhaps I wouldn't have asked? YMMV

Tyson

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2023, 08:59 pm »
Sign up for Qobuz and stream some Beethoven, he’s a great into to classical.  Most modern recordings are actually pretty good so just pick whatever looks cool 😎

Infidel

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2023, 10:22 pm »
The 1812, and Beethoven 9 Symphonys Gardiner and a few greatest hits, which usually are not the greatest, I have, but I have been waiting to get my system squared away. I didn't want to either burn out on them, or quit listening due to listening fatigue. I finally have one decision left, but either amp is a winner. So now I am ready to get serious. Again, I really do appreciate the help. I need to burn Beethoven to the hard drive.

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2023, 03:48 pm »
Worry about which pressings later.  For now just listen to the music.  First and foremost, let your ears decide.
When you find something that really speaks to you, they you can find the pressing you want. 
 For me, music I love on a mediocre recording beats a great recording of something I don't like any day of the week.   

Hope you find some value in the lists and recommendations made here.