Anyone install a dishwasher before?

KKM

Anyone install a dishwasher before?
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:34 am »
Bought a new dishwasher and thought I would save some money and try to install it myself. Didn't realize that it didn't come with power cord. I guess its because it gives the contractors option to use direct wire. The instruction says if using cord, to purchase a dishwasher approved cord. Could I use one of my detachable cords from an amp and just cut off the end? Thanks.

Big Red Machine

Re: Anyone install a dishwasher before?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:37 am »
Technically it would work.  Is there an outlet under the sink?  Or a box wanting a conduit attachment?

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:50 am »
Bought a new dishwasher and thought I would save some money and try to install it myself. Didn't realize that it didn't come with power cord. I guess its because it gives the contractors option to use direct wire. The instruction says if using cord, to purchase a dishwasher approved cord. Could I use one of my detachable cords from an amp and just cut off the end? Thanks.

I have installed three dishwashers over the past few years and I have never seen one come with a cord.  If you are replacing a dishwasher how was it wired?  They are designed to have a piece of romex run directly from a wire junction box to the connections for the dishwasher.  I would not cut up a nice cord and recommend you go to a Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a short appliance cord.  Did your builder wire a 110 outlet for the dishwasher? 

Ken

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2009, 03:10 am »
Check local building codes. I believe the code where I live requires flexible conduit from the wall to the dishwasher connection box. Use standard electrical wire inside the conduit.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:04 am »
As DonS mentioned, I would check with your local codes. I have installed a few dishwashers including my own not too long ago. As mentioned, I would think that an "appliance approved" cord would be okay. I used a power cord approved for air conditioners when installing mine.

Any power cord would work but spending a few extra bucks for a good quality, high current approved cord is worth the extra piece of mind.

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:14 am »
Just reuse whatever the old dishwasher is hooked up with. The connection is at the front behind a panel below the door.
FYI dishwashers are meant to be hooked up directly to the AC circuit usually via a junction box.  They do not ship with a power cord.

KKM

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:37 am »
There is a 110 under the sink which the old one was plugged into. If I would've known, I would have pulled the old one off the dishwasher but they had picked it up for recycling before I read the installation instruction.

I will go to Lowe's and pick up one made for dishwasher.

Thank you all for the suggestions,

KK

KKM

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:08 pm »
If you have a waste disposal in your sink don't forget to make a high loop with the  drain hose that connects from your dishwasher to your sink.
Make a big loop high above the drain, so the waste from the disposal does not drian into your dishwasher. Very Important.

Mike

Good suggestion, I'll do that. Thanks.