Intro

Meerkat

Intro
« on: 16 Jul 2017, 05:58 pm »
Hi all,

I'm getting around to this intro email belatedly.

My main system includes hot-rodded Mission 770 mkV's, dual Storm III's, Naim electronics and a Townshend Rock 7. Welcome to my affliction.

Regards, Meerkat

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:04 pm »
Welcome Meerkat :thumb:
A english home surely.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:23 pm »
Welcome - I use two Storm IIIs in my main system too.

Meerkat

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:35 pm »
Thanks kindly FRM and Phil.

Gotcha!?! I just happen to really love Brit hifi gear.

Regarding your profile pic, FRM, I concur. 3 out of 4 of my configurations are crossoverless, not including subwoofers - (1) Desktop (speakers) - Audience Ones, (2) Desktop HP's - Audeze LCD-X's, (3) Bedroom system w/Audience Ones. And for the 4th, my main system, I'm going to be building diy speakers with 8 each Audience A3 drivers per side (plus PRs).

Yes, Phil. A nice pair of dialed in Storm IIIs is definitely the cat's meow (lion's roar?). I also have a 3rd Storm III on my bedroom system.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:54 pm »
Thanks kindly FRM and Phil.

Gotcha!?! I just happen to really love Brit hifi gear.

Regarding your profile pic, FRM, I concur. 3 out of 4 of my configurations are crossoverless, not including subwoofers - (1) Desktop (speakers) - Audience Ones, (2) Desktop HP's - Audeze LCD-X's, (3) Bedroom system w/Audience Ones. And for the 4th, my main system, I'm going to be building diy speakers with 8 each Audience A3 drivers per side (plus PRs).

Yes, Phil. A nice pair of dialed in Storm IIIs is definitely the cat's meow (lion's roar?). I also have a 3rd Storm III on my bedroom system.

I use a Strata III in a secondary 2-channel system and a Q150 in a spare HT/2-channel system too.

Meerkat

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2017, 07:41 pm »
Nice. I also have dual T-5s on my desktop system. We seem to have the same illness ^_^

What do you think of the Strata III vs Storm III?

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm »
Welcome to AC, Meerkat!  It is a disease isn't it?

Meerkat

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm »
Thanks Jake. Indeed!

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2017, 01:01 am »
Nice. I also have dual T-5s on my desktop system. We seem to have the same illness ^_^

What do you think of the Strata III vs Storm III?

Yes we have the same illness.  Love them both - had them for probably more than a dozen years.  The Strata III of course does not have as much output.  I have them in a secondary 2-channel system in a small bedroom and in my old house had them in my master bedroom (after having other subs in there).  In some ways I like the sealed approach of the Strata III.  I've never actually had them in the same system.  I've had two Storm IIIs in the main system for all that time.

Meerkat

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2017, 03:53 am »
Makes sense. I have sometimes wondered if a Strata III would be a better match for my BR system, but I already happened to have a spare Storm III, hence that's what I utilize there. And the Storm III actually seems to work fine, even with the small Audience One speakers in my BR.

I find that once I have a REL properly positioned and dialed in, it disappears, and then it seems like the added bass extension is coming from the primary loudspeakers themselves.