Please recommend a reliable internet speed test program

Don_S

My download speeds are much less than my neighbors. I have tested at the router and switch with multiple test programs. No consistency between them and no consistency between multiple test with the same program. I am very frustrated.

I have Xfinity and hate to contact them since it seems to take 45 minutes to get simple answers. I would like some solid results before I contact them.

Thank you

won ton on

Re: Please recommend a reliable internet speed test program
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2024, 07:12 pm »
Try speedtest.net

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2024, 08:01 pm »
If the issue you report occurs when you have a computer hard wired to the cable modem using an Ethernet cable, then either you likely either have a flaky cable modem or something in the physical connection between you and the where xfinity connects you to their network on the pole  is intermittent.

I would inspect and tighten all connections I had access to including splitters, where the cable is joined into your house wiring, etc.

I don't know if this link is helpful to you: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/whole-home-network-device-tests

Good luck.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2024, 08:07 pm »
If you have a Xfinity box for internet or might apply to all is First unplug the power for a 10 seconds and wait a while after it restarts as it could be updating.  ( They send emails out when to also do this after working on or doing some update).

X has speed tests in its apps.  It appears to be a speedtest.com with a different logo.    X speed apps will show the speed to you box.
https://speedtest.xfinity.com/
While spending a day with them here at the house trying to figure out my speed issues we came up with this. 
For Windows, mac should have something also.

Open Task Manager, Select Performance and you should see CPU, Memory, HD and Ethernet.  1  click on Ethernet with make it the bigger window.

Bring up speedtest and resize the window so both speed test and Task manager  are visible.
Start speed test and watch Task manager. 

1st of all I have never got the numbers to match but they are close.

And then I can make to argument that they are different.
I just ran the above link and only got 498 up Out of 1 gig
https://www.speedtest.net/  385 d  2.28 up (1 Gig plus and 25up is my package)
Control panel concurs

And I can different readings with my phone and the TV.

Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2024, 08:24 pm »
Google speed test.
All I used are reliable, all show the same result.

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2024, 02:43 pm »
Google speed test.
All I used are reliable, all show the same result.

And most (if not all) are actually speedtest.com (by Ookla), which gives one several options for testing upload and download speeds.
Also remember that most ISP's "gigabyte" tier will actually reach 1 gig only via wired Ethernet and under optimal conditions (i.e., low network usage)

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2024, 04:29 pm »
I use TrafficMonitor on my Windows computer. The program lets me know the real time, at the moment, up and down speeds my computer is receiving. Right now the computer is hanging out doing nothing so up speed is 0.50 Kb/s and down is 0.00 - 10.0 Kb/sec.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/trafficmonitor.html

If I want to see what my modem connection is receiving I put 192.168.0.1 into a browser and enter my password to get into the modem configuration interface.

Fiber connections are tricky, the fewer connections the better. A year ago my download speeds were up to spec but uploads were real slow, it turned out to be a bad connection point. Today I'm getting 938 Mbps down and 935 Mbps up.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2024, 09:04 pm »
Try speedtest.net

^ditto

It automatically locates a local server for testing, or you can pick one yourself. Very handy since it is just a webpage. Although they do have an app now too.