Servo Sub Wiring Question

emailtim

Servo Sub Wiring Question
« on: 25 May 2019, 06:53 am »
Danny previously mentioned that the length of the servo wires is critical to the proper functionality of the servo system. 

What is the max length not to exceed when making an umbilical for the servo subs (including amp, umbilical and speaker hookup wires) ?

TIA

Danny Richie

Re: Servo Sub Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2019, 01:49 pm »
Danny previously mentioned that the length of the servo wires is critical to the proper functionality of the servo system. 

What is the max length not to exceed when making an umbilical for the servo subs (including amp, umbilical and speaker hookup wires) ?

TIA

We recommend only using the length of wire that is on each amp. That gives you about an 18" umbilical that will allow you to move the amp around behind the woofers quite a bit.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2019, 04:34 pm »
Keeping them short  is probably  good practice in  any  circuit.  That  being said,  if you  need  a bit  of extra  length, I think there is some flexibility here.... look at how  long  the  signal path gets in say a  6-stack of the   12's.  It's a long run up to that  top woofer  !
I've actually got some excess  length  from the  wiring on my A370's that I'm going to shorten up.

jay

emailtim

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2019, 05:29 pm »
We recommend only using the length of wire that is on each amp. That gives you about an 18" umbilical that will allow you to move the amp around behind the woofers quite a bit.

Thanks much.

Keeping them short  is probably  good practice in  any  circuit.  That  being said,  if you  need  a bit  of extra  length, I think there is some flexibility here.... look at how  long  the  signal path gets in say a  6-stack of the   12's.  It's a long run up to that  top woofer  !
I've actually got some excess  length  from the  wiring on my A370's that I'm going to shorten up.
jay

I was pondering that.  Even a triple stack adds at least 3 feet to the existing amp leads.

Another question, should the speakers (coil drivers) be paralleled in a "star-ground-like" configuration where all 3 pairs of wires are the same length or just "daisy-chained-like" where the 1st driver is electrically closest to the amp and the 3rd driver is the electrically furthest from the amp. 

I know when I run low voltage lights in a daisy chained fashion, the light closest to the PS is the brightest and the one on the end of the chain is the dimmest so I usually try to splice in the PS supply line into the middle of the light strand (T instead of a L to average out the brightness levels) which causes there to be 2 brightest and 2 dimmest (brightest in the center of the yard and progressively dimmer as they progress to the left and right sides of the yard).

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2019, 08:24 pm »

Another question, should the speakers (coil drivers) be paralleled in a "star-ground-like" configuration where all 3 pairs of wires are the same length or just "daisy-chained-like" where the 1st driver is electrically closest to the amp and the 3rd driver is the electrically furthest from the amp. 

I know when I run low voltage lights in a daisy chained fashion, the light closest to the PS is the brightest and the one on the end of the chain is the dimmest so I usually try to splice in the PS supply line into the middle of the light strand (T instead of a L to average out the brightness levels) which causes there to be 2 brightest and 2 dimmest (brightest in the center of the yard and progressively dimmer as they progress to the left and right sides of the yard).

You can wire them either way.