New here but have researched on this site

stirer

New here but have researched on this site
« on: 21 Jan 2019, 09:19 pm »
I am posting for the first time. I am a member since 2013 but now that I am semiretired, I have the opportunity to participate. I have an eclectic collection of gear and I am in the throes of trying to downsize to some extent. I am a big fan of active speakers. Thanks

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: New here but have researched on this site
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2019, 11:31 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to posting stirer   :thumb: 

borism

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2019, 11:42 pm »
Welcome!

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2019, 12:00 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2019, 10:54 am »
Welcome Stirer :thumb:
Your equipment excess is tubed?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2019, 10:57 am »
Welcome.  In similar situations.  Retired from full time job in 2015, then did part time consulting for 3 years, still volunteer a few hours a week.

Have been in/around stereo/audio for 50 years.  Discovered the internet 20 years ago and tried to like SET amps but couldn't find matching speakers I liked.  Compared Paradigm Studio 20s ($800/pair 2-way monitors) versus Paradigm Active 20s ($1600/pair same drivers/cabinet) 18 years ago and it was no contest, period.  My looking into small amps did lead me to commission a pair of less efficient nice single driver floor standers 15 years ago, which are active by default.  Then about 3 years broke down and bought my first pair of active monitors (Dynaudio BM5 Mk3, $1400/pair MSRP) and last summer moved up to a pair of JBL 708Ps ($4000/pair MSRP). 

Finally got out of the kiddy end of the pool with the JBLs and followed up with a PS Audio DirectStream Junior DAC/preamp/streamer ($4000 MSRP).  Currently use my MacBook Air/iTunes & Tidal/10ft USB cable.  Makes for a very simple system, but would like to find a (very) friendly, better sounding music server.  Value the room more than most, my well insulated/treated dedicated room follows Cardas Golden Cuboid (Fibonacci) ratios (8ft x 13ft x 21ft) and I use a mid-field setup with 3 subs as per Toole, Geddes, and LeJeune.  Still have a couple pair of speakers to sell along.