Is Oppo BDP-105 The Best DAC/Pre Option For Me?

cloudbaseracer

Is Oppo BDP-105 The Best DAC/Pre Option For Me?
« on: 24 Jan 2013, 04:11 am »
A buddy of mine mentioned to me today that I should look into the Oppo 105 when I told him I was in the market for a DAC with pre-amp functionality.  After I did a little reading it appears that this things could be better than the Wadia 121, Benchmark HGC, NAD M51 as it:

-allows me to remove my Squeezebox Touch and run HDMI from computer feeding FLAC
-has the ability to select different sources with volume just as a separate preamp
-has DSD capability for the future
-has HDMI input to plug my Comcast DVR into
-can replace my current but inexpensive Panasonic Blu-ray essentially as a free bonus
-has balanced outputs to drive my Ncore amps
-has a subwoofer out I can run into my Behringer DCX2496 for my multi-sub(4) approach

What am I missing here?  Is this 105 not just the best thing going at the moment?  How does the sound compare to these other units?  I know the NAD is supposed to have an excellent volume control that does not loose information but the Oppo rep told me that the 105 controls the volume through the Sabre and that it does not loose resolution either.

Thanks,

James

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: Is Oppo BDP-105 The Best DAC/Pre Option For Me?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:15 am »
All true.... as long as you have a monitor.  Without menu navigation on a monitor, you can't do anything except play CDs / SACDs and switch inputs.  Fine for a system with a TV, but a PITA for a music only system.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:51 am »
The question mark for me is how well it would function as a preamp. But I am a preamp guy who hasn't had much luck with passives or DACs with volume control in comparison to when my preamp is in the chain.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:11 am »
All true.... as long as you have a monitor.  Without menu navigation on a monitor, you can't do anything except play CDs / SACDs and switch inputs.  Fine for a system with a TV, but a PITA for a music only system.

What about this statement:
"For additional convenience, the BDP-105 can be operated using remote control apps running on compatible smartphone and tablet devices. The remote control app for Android is already available. An app for Apple iOS devices is coming soon."
Perhaps using this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.oremote#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLm9wcG8ub3JlbW90ZSJd

Cheers,
James

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:38 am »
I use Jriver software and Jremote app for ipad - no monitor needed.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:47 pm »
The question mark for me is how well it would function as a preamp. But I am a preamp guy who hasn't had much luck with passives or DACs with volume control in comparison to when my preamp is in the chain.

Anyone here that has compared the Oppo to the Wadia or Benchmark as a pre and also as a stand alone DAC?

Cheers
James

Russtafarian

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:12 pm »

I use Jriver software and Jremote app for ipad - no monitor needed.

True if you are using a PC or music server to feed one of the Oppo's USB/HDMI/SPdif inputs.  But if the plan is to use the Oppo as a stand-alone squeezebox-ish music server/streamer without a computer, you have to have a monitor to navigate the control menus with the remote.  No way around it at this point.

An app for Apple iOS devices is coming soon.

The app is here. I've used it.  But all it does is replicate the buttons on the handheld remote control. 

The question mark for me is how well it would function as a preamp.

The output stage is certainly robust enough to drive an amp directly.  My experience with the unbalanced output of the 103 is that there may not be enough gain for some discs/files recorded at lower levels.  This may not be an issue with the balanced outputs of the 105.  Volume control is on the remote only and the volume level display is in a small window on the player that's hard to read from across the room.  Again you need to attach a monitor to make this workable.

If you have a TV in the system, this is a non-issue.  If you have a music-only system, it's a serious roadblock for doing anything other than playing CDs/SACDs and switching inputs.  The killer app for the Oppo would be a tablet app that allows the user to visually touch navigate through all the Oppo's control menus and DVD/Bluray menus.  That would be cool.

Russ

Russtafarian

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2013, 09:50 pm »
BTW, I'm in no way criticizing the performance of the 105.  I have the 103 so I'm pretty familiar with the functionality of the unit.  That's all I'm commenting on.

Russ

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2013, 09:56 pm »
I have a BDP 105, and I quite like it a lot.  It performs well as a DAC, supports streaming from a NAS box, music and netflix services, etc.  The only thing is, if it were me, I would use something along the lines of a First Watt B-1 buffer between the Oppo and the power amp(s).  Best to have the Oppo output full bit resolution, and use a passive buffer to isolate.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2013, 10:58 pm »
I'd want to know the output impedance on the 105. Don't see it on the Oppo 105 page.

JeffMO

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:24 pm »
Assuming the EU and other models are the same or similar:

• Output impedance 7.1 board L/R front channels 100Ω
• Output impedance dedicated stereo board L/R channels 100Ω
• Output impedance 7.1 board all channels except L/R front 200Ω
• Recommended amplifier input impedance is 47KΩ (Industry standard)

Source: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:41 pm »
That's nice and low

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:15 pm »
So how will that match up with Ncore amps driven direct?

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:31 pm »
It will likely depend on how the volume control is implemented. But the output impedance doesn't raise any concerns.

You might want to check the huge Oppo 105 threads on AVS forum or SH forum to see if anyone is doing this there.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:54 pm »
I am sure Dan can answer this if it posted on the modwright forum.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:09 am »
I am sure Dan can answer this if it posted on the modwright forum.

I do not think Dan is keen on this unit as a preamp so I was hoping others had some experience they could share.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:17 pm »
It will likely depend on how the volume control is implemented. But the output impedance doesn't raise any concerns.

You might want to check the huge Oppo 105 threads on AVS forum or SH forum to see if anyone is doing this there.

Sorry, but I wonder if you can tell me what SH forum is?

Thanks,
James

srb

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:43 pm »
Sorry, but I wonder if you can tell me what SH forum is?

I believe he is referring to Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Steve

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:53 pm »
I have a BDP 105, and I quite like it a lot.  It performs well as a DAC, supports streaming from a NAS box, music and netflix services, etc.  The only thing is, if it were me, I would use something along the lines of a First Watt B-1 buffer between the Oppo and the power amp(s).  Best to have the Oppo output full bit resolution, and use a passive buffer to isolate.

Would the DIY Tubed Buffer from Dodd audio work as well?

JeffMO

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2013, 05:13 pm »
True if you are using a PC or music server to feed one of the Oppo's USB/HDMI/SPdif inputs.  But if the plan is to use the Oppo as a stand-alone squeezebox-ish music server/streamer without a computer, you have to have a monitor to navigate the control menus with the remote.  No way around it at this point.

You may use a controller application such as Foobar and push music to the Oppo via the ethernet or wireless port (using the player as a renderer) without needing a monitor.