Amp recommendations please

rvsb

Amp recommendations please
« on: 1 Oct 2009, 08:44 pm »
I got into this hobby (obsession) just about a year ago. I started my system impulsively with a NAD 325 integrated. Last spring I bought Audio Physics Tempo VI speakers. While I enjoy the NAD, I would like to find a better-suited amplifier. More and more I am listening through my Mac and a Beresford DAC. I enjoy most types of music, especially singer/songwriter, folk/acoustic, jazz, rock, pop, classical. My listening room is about 300sq ft, with partial opening at the rear and one side partially open into the dining room. I am trying to keep an open mind, in terms of tube, ss, mono, integrated, or just a power amp to use w/the NAD as a preamp for awhile. I'd like to spend no more than $2000 on something that will make the APs sing. I'll be at RMAF this weekend to hear as many amps as possible. I appreciate your input.

K Shep

Re: Amp recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2009, 04:51 pm »
rvsb,

I started out in this hobby less than a year ago with a Sherwood Newcastle receiver as my preamp/amp section.  I then purchased an NAD 372 integrated amp.  While the NAD is a great amp, the obession you mentioned got a firm grip on me.  I changed speakers then moved to separates. 

The move from an integrated amp to seperates (tube pre/SS amp) was the biggest eye/ear opening experience I have witnessed in my room to date.

I used my NAD 372 as a preamp and I was not happy with the result.  YMMV.

I am a believer in the tube preamp/SS amp concept.  The tubes soften the edges that you may hear from your digital front end and the SS amp drives the bass.  You have a great pair of speakers that IMO would do well with a little more power than your getting from your 325.  I don't know if you are looking at used gear, but Audiogon is a great resource to help build your system, while you learn what equipment you like.  You have plenty of gear to audition at RMAF please post your impressions.

Kirk

Rocket

Re: Amp recommendations please
« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2009, 04:26 am »
Hi,

My advice to you is to hang out with as many audiophiles as you can and listen to as many systems as you possibly can.  I've been in this hobby for a long time and wasted a heap of money trying to get the sound I want. 

What part of the US do you live in?  Perhaps you can attend one of the get togethers that are posted on this forum from time to time?

If I was looking a reasonably priced upgrade at the moment I would look at the virtue equipment.  They have a forum right here on audiocircle.  I've had 2 nad products in the 1980's a 3240pe amp and 2200 power amp with the preamp.  It wasn't that imo.

Another thing that you could try is audiogon?  Buying second hand will save you a heap and if you don't like the product you can always sell it.  From time to time N.E.W. amps come up on audiogon for sale.  The company closed around 1999 but the amps sound great and sell for a very cheap price.

Best wishes

Rod