Tekton's New OB Speaker/Sub

seikosha

Re: Tekton's New OB Sub
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2024, 01:41 pm »
That's strange. What is the incentive for putting down a deposit and waiting several months just to pay the retail price?

You are putting your deposit down so you can secure a place in the purchase queue.

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2024, 02:16 pm »
You are putting your deposit down so you can secure a place in the purchase queue.

I understand getting in a queue for a product that already exists, but this product hasn't been designed yet as far as we know, so the deposit would be paying for R&D with a vague "first half of 2024" ship date. Why would I get in the queue for that? 

jachinboazicus

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2024, 03:23 pm »
That's strange. What is the incentive for putting down a deposit and waiting several months just to pay the retail price?

Seems more like a kickstarter approach rather than a solid business decision.

They are maybe gauging interest in OB speakers amongst their customers given the growth of Spatial and Caladan.

Makes me wonder if the images are just renders? The lack of specs like weight, impedance, crossover, etc is super weird. Have they actually built any beta versions or are they just going for the massdrop/kickstarter model?

morganc

Re: Tekton's New OB Speaker/Sub
« Reply #23 on: 7 Jan 2024, 04:26 pm »
Hmmm. Reading comprehension anyone?  This is an OB speaker not a sub. 
And it says clearly below the price starts at $7,000 per pair.  The 3,000 is clearly a deposit.

Edit perhaps I'm off here but I believe the word subwoofer
Is just like that in the spatial X-3 series which is a powered
Sun inside of an open baffle
Speaker. 

And perhaps
I'm
Wrong on the price.  Maybe it's a promo price to raise capital for a new product ?

jachinboazicus

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jan 2024, 04:50 pm »
And it says clearly below the price starts at $7,000 per pair.  The 3,000 is clearly a deposit.

The first true open baffle loudspeaker from Tekton Design features our patented tweeter array and a 15-inch subwoofer in a beautiful, elegant package.

OPEN BAFFLE ($3K PREORDER, BASE PRICE $7K)
$3000 / pair

Also it seems to be render of an idea that hasn't actually been built or tested since there are no specs.

Its also confusing as to whether the 'array' is actually OB or just forward firing.

Aaaaand this isn't Tekton's first OB speaker.

https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/ob-sigma/#color

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jan 2024, 05:12 pm »

Edit perhaps I'm off here but I believe the word subwoofer
Is just like that in the spatial X-3 series which is a powered
Sun inside of an open baffle
Speaker. 

And perhaps
I'm
Wrong on the price.  Maybe it's a promo price to raise capital for a new product ?

It is not clearly a deposit because the word "deposit" was never used. It does sound like a promo price to gamble on a product not yet produced and evaluated by customers. I am not arguing which one it is.  :scratch: That website page definitely needs a editor.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2024, 05:27 pm »
I added it to the cart and that 3k preorder, 7k base price shows in the description in the cart but doesn't say anything like balance due?

morganc

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jan 2024, 05:31 pm »
It is not clearly a deposit because the word "deposit" was never used. It does sound like a promo price to gamble on a product not yet produced and evaluated by customers. I am not arguing which one it is.  :scratch: That website page definitely needs a editor.

Agreed. I posted before coffee. Disregard my comments  :duh:

jachinboazicus

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jan 2024, 05:44 pm »

The 'reading comprehension' jibe went full circle shockingly quick--like coffee on the bowels.

mr_bill

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jan 2024, 06:22 pm »
So still a mystery whether  they are truly $3000 if you order now for the full price?

Don_S

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jan 2024, 06:29 pm »

Well your post was noncommittal and ambiguous. Have you ever considered running for Congress?  :jester:

jachinboazicus

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jan 2024, 06:46 pm »
So still a mystery whether  they are truly $3000 if you order now for the full price?

$3K 'deposit' now and $4K whenever the speaker is finished in probably 2024. Not sure if its in this thread or another forum but someone called to confirm.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:05 pm »
$3000 upfront to fund someone's expenses while he designs a speaker... hmmm.  And it's not a discount. 
Sounds like the offer from someone short of cash...
Nope. 

Daryl Zero

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:12 pm »
Well your post was noncommittal and ambiguous. Have you ever considered running for Congress?  :jester:

Congress is committed ambiguity.  :duh:

Daryl Zero

« Reply #34 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:14 pm »
$3K 'deposit' now and $4K whenever the speaker is finished in probably 2024. Not sure if its in this thread or another forum but someone called to confirm.

According to one of the posters on Audiogon which I quoted, he actually did call Tekton and confirmed that the price is $7k and the $3k is only a deposit.

I requote:

and from Kennyc in the same thread:

looking at the Tekton website, seems like a promo vs deposit- confusing. I called Tekton who just verified that it is only a “deposit/down payment” for the 7k total.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:34 pm »
$3000 upfront to fund someone's expenses while he designs a speaker... hmmm.  And it's not a discount. 
Sounds like the offer from someone short of cash...
Nope.

This is what it looks like to me, too.

Seem like Alexander saw the Spatial direction and sale, and decided to 'launch' an OB with the Tekton array slapped on it for just under the price point of the X4 to take advantage of the market space. The Caladan release was probably surprise. That said, I can't imagine that Clayton and Eric don't know each other.

All that said, I still really want to hear it if/when it happens.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jan 2024, 09:11 pm »
That tweeter arrangement defies all established ideas about comb filtering.  It just looks like a hype... especially when there are some very good O.B. options out there in that price range-- without betting on something that doesn't currently exist. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #37 on: 7 Jan 2024, 09:41 pm »
That tweeter arrangement defies all established ideas about comb filtering.

When I first saw the Impact Monitor's array of seven 1" dome tweeters, I wondered how it could possibly work. But its measured performance shows that this unusual design is not compromised—I keep coming back to that superbly even on-axis response—and that the array works well to control the speaker's treble dispersion.—John Atkinson

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #38 on: 7 Jan 2024, 09:44 pm »
Since the OP only posts in the Spatial Audio circle perhaps he is unaware of this circle that would have been a better place for this thread.  :scratch:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

Early B.

« Reply #39 on: 7 Jan 2024, 10:42 pm »
That tweeter arrangement defies all established ideas about comb filtering.  It just looks like a hype... especially when there are some very good O.B. options out there in that price range-- without betting on something that doesn't currently exist.

It will be interesting to see how this tweeter array performs in an OB configuration and what design changes are needed to adapt it to OB. I'll be waiting for the YouTube video explanation on it.

Strictly a personal opinion:  I have never warmed up to any speaker with more than 3 or 4 drivers because they will most likely be made with low-cost drivers and complex crossovers. I ain't sayin' it can't be done, just sayin' "keep it simple." If I pay $7K for a speaker, I want premium drivers and premium crossover parts. That's what you get from Spatial Audio in this price range.