AVA amp for my HT1-TLs

newzooreview

AVA amp for my HT1-TLs
« on: 15 May 2010, 09:16 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading my integrated amp with separates. The AvaStar pre-amp seems like an obvious choice, but which of the AVA amps are people using with the HT1-TLs?

One of my quandaries is that my integrated amp has 570W per channel into 8 Ohms (Wyred4Sound STI-1000). I'm looking for the additional refinement that might come from separates, but I don't want to lose the bass control and dynamics that I'm getting.

The AVA amps (Insight+ 440H or FET Valve Ultra+) both top out at about half of what I have now. I know I could go with the double-die option (and would do that). I'm wondering what people's experiences are with those choices? Another option would be dual mono Wyred4Sound SX-1000s.

Thanks for any input.  :)

mark funk

Re: AVA amp for my HT1-TLs
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2010, 10:26 pm »
I would think an Ultra+ 550 or the Insight+ 440H would be more then enough for the HT-1 TLs. I well be driving a pair of HT-2s ( I have to order them before June 1st ) with an Ultra+ 550. I heard the HT-2s with one of Frank's U70s at 35 watts per and they sound beautiful.

:smoke:

coke

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2010, 10:30 pm »
My ultra 550 is more than enough for my HT2-TLs

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010, 11:47 pm »
Bass control and dynamics have absolutely nothing to do with the difference in advertised power of a Class D amplifier and any AVA amplifier.  Power ratings are kind of like rating cooked meat by weight.  You could have a 20 pound prime rib one one side of the balance scale and 20 pounds of White Castles on the other, steamed onions and all.  If you rated just by weight, they would be equal.

Your HT1TL speakers are a great choice, but they do have only a single large driver beside the tweeter.  The voice coil of that woofer would be very exceptional if it could handle 200W of power, let alone 570W.  To figure out how much heat 200 Watts is, simply grasp firmly a 150W light bulb with one hand after it has been on for an hour or so and add 50 watts while you are holding it.  Then, while you are getting your third degree burns treated at the hospital, contemplate how well that woofer voice coil would be doing with the same amount of power dumped into it.

For best musical results with your speakers, I would suggest our Insight+ 260 solid state amplifier (over 130W/Ch @ $1399) or our Ultra + 350 hybrid amplifier at $1949).  Either will get the best out of your Salk Speakers with outstanding bass and dynamics.

Please call me at 651-330-9871 for more help, or contact Jim Salk for his advice.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 03:03 am »
Hi,

The Wyred4Sound STI-1000 integrated amplifier is a well reviewed amplifier.  I haven't heard wyred 4 sound amplifier and I personally can't comment of its sound.  I've been thru a number of amplifiers in my system and dumped a heap of money trying to satisfy my upgraditis.

I think that if you are higher fidelity in your system, considering that you currently have good quality gear you need to hear the gear in your system.  I've been down this track before and sometimes when you purchase a product you initially get the rush and excitement of a new purchase but over a period of time you just realise that its a sidewards movement.

Best if you try before you buy if you can.

Regards

Rod

ps that said I would like to get my hands on one of Frank's ultravalve amplifiers someday.

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2010, 11:46 am »
Thanks, everyone.

Frank, I will give a call when I get back from my travels after the 25th. Your insight about wattage not really being too informative is something I also noticed on your website, and it makes sense that there's more to the story. Continuously supplying high wattage understandably would lead to overly hot loudspeakers, but I had always thought the watts were needed in short bursts to handle and control big excursions of the drivers. If you'd rather help out my understanding by phone I can wait til I get home (i searched the Audio Basics archive in case you covered it there, but at least in the article titles didn't run across it).

Setting aside my curiosity about the wattage issue, I'm highly inclined to follow your recommendations (since it would save me a little money!).  :)

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2010, 11:52 am »
Just a note that I have the HT1-TLs vs. the HT2-TLs. So, my speakers are 3 dB less efficient than the HT2 version: there has been a good bit of discussion of matching amps to the HT2-TL but I didn't know how to translate that into good choices for my less-efficient model.

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2010, 12:08 pm »
Hi,

The Wyred4Sound STI-1000 integrated amplifier is a well reviewed amplifier.  I haven't heard wyred 4 sound amplifier and I personally can't comment of its sound.  I've been thru a number of amplifiers in my system and dumped a heap of money trying to satisfy my upgraditis.

The Wyred4Sound is well-reviewed, and it has given me the best sound I've had in my system. But I heard a tube-based amp at a local shop, and there was something about it that was engaging and that drew me into the music in a way that I don't get with the Wyred4Sound. Could be my room/speaker interactions, could be that there's something that tubes provide that my particular Class D amp doesn't. I don't know.

I have heard AVA equipment at Dennis's when I first heard the HT1-TL's, so I know it will at least be as good as what I have. I figure that going from an integrated to separates will be generally better (if the separates are good like AVA equipment), and that there's a good chance that with an AvaStar and Ultra+ I'll find some tube magic.

It could end up being a sidegrade, but I'm interested to find out.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2010, 04:46 pm »
newzooreview,

Unfortunately you have to take what you heard at the local AV ship with a grain of salt.  They were using different speakers in a different room, so what you thought was engaging might not have been the tube amplifier at all.  What I recommend doing is asking that same dealer for a weekend audition of that amplifier.  If you bring it home and it does give you that engaging sound in your own system, then you should move forward and look to Frank's amps, among others.  Its the only way to be sure.

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2010, 06:57 pm »
newzooreview,

Unfortunately you have to take what you heard at the local AV ship with a grain of salt.  They were using different speakers in a different room, so what you thought was engaging might not have been the tube amplifier at all.  What I recommend doing is asking that same dealer for a weekend audition of that amplifier.  If you bring it home and it does give you that engaging sound in your own system, then you should move forward and look to Frank's amps, among others.  Its the only way to be sure.

Very sound advice and much appreciated, but it was about a 30 watt amp driving very efficient speakers. I don't know that bringing it home to my 84 dB efficient HT1-TLs would give me true insight into the possible improvements that some tubes in my system could produce. I have heard other tube-based systems, however, and all of them were pleasant in a way that my current amplifier is not. I find myself not listening to music as much with it. At first it was interesting and exciting (detailed, big soundstage, deep controlled bass) but it didn't add up to musical enjoyment.