speaker & amp lacking dynamic range recomendations

20q

I'm looking to get a bookshelf speaker that sounds good at very low volumes. From some listening I did at a dealer I found that I don't like dynamic range. So I'm looking for the least dynamic bookshelf speakers for around $2000 that are otherwise clear and non fatiguing. $1000 for a amp lacking in dynamic range. I know this is an odd preference and I appreciate any help.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: speaker & amp lacking dynamic range recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:07 pm »
So what you're saying, is that you prefer an FM broadcast to the CD version?

Buy a compressor. That'll kill any pesky dynamic range there :)

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:09 pm »
Find a speaker with low efficiency, then underpower it. You should get what you want then.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:23 pm »
I would suggest a basic Pioneer VSX series receiver or something along those lines. Denon is very flat to me, yet decent sounding. Look into Bose speakers, Pioneer and Sony make shelf models that have an unassuming quality to them. Your needs, the way I see it, do not require expensive equipment, just good basic stuff. 

I'm looking to get a bookshelf speaker that sounds good at very low volumes. From some listening I did at a dealer I found that I don't like dynamic range. So I'm looking for the least dynamic bookshelf speakers for around $2000 that are otherwise clear and non fatiguing. $1000 for a amp lacking in dynamic range. I know this is an odd preference and I appreciate any help.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:27 pm »
You could look at the Dynaudio Focus 110a (powered) or the the bigger Focus 140... they are low efficiency and before I powered my past Dyns with what they wanted they were not that dynamic, yet very pleasant to listen to at low volume and extremely non fatiguing with that sweet lil soft dome tweeter...
 I bet they would be right up your ally.

20q

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:33 pm »
I've been listening on satellite speakers my whole life and when I listened to some rock it was startling. I want to relax when I listen to music. And I also think for volume adjusting it's worse for my preferences. I might need to boost the bass somehow to hear it at low volumes I imagine. And I don't know if there is speakers that have boosted bass that aren't boomy sounding.

decal

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:46 pm »
For the life of me I can't figure out what you're saying or asking.Maybe I'm just dumb.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:05 pm »

Isn't everyone looking for a speaker that sounds nice at any volume? I guess, I don't understand why you would look for something like this, or why you would be in an audio form like this. Go to best buy and buy a cheap pair of speakers and a 2 channel receiver or integrated amp if you don't need FM. You don't need to spend $3,000 on a system. Sounds more like $300.

Wayner

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:06 pm »
  Proac, Vandersteen comes to mind. Out of curiosity when you say less dynamic do you mean dark or soft sounding, less detailed ?

charles

20q

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:19 pm »
I'm not too familiar with the cheaper speakers but I'm guessing that the more expensive bookshelf speakers are smoother, more coherent, higher resolution, not bright.

With dynamic speakers the difference between the quiet and loud parts of a song is greater. So I'm looking for speakers where that difference is less.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:27 pm »
For low volume listening, it sounds like you are looking for an amp that has a loudness compensation feature.  My first integrated Kenwood amp had a push button switch like this, it accentuated the high and low frequencies for low volume listening.  You can replicate this by using tone controls to adjust the highs and/or lows for listening at a low volume level.  It works pretty effectively for background-level music, preserving the mid-range frequencies.

lcrim

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:31 pm »
20q:
If this is truly an earnest search for a system that behaves in the manner you seek you must be aware that the qualities you are looking for are somewhat antithetical to what most members here find desirable.
Still, thats no reason for you to stop searching, just be thick skinned as those qualities are somewhat different than most search for.  Perhaps tone controls could be utilized to get you there.

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm »
Sounds like a compressor is the ticket to me too. Problem is, the only compressors are for pro audio, and might be noisy at low volumes. Used Berhringer perhaps?

cujobob

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:53 pm »
Just about any small two way with a driver smaller than 7" should do the job.  The differences in dynamics is most noticeable with lower frequencies and you could always just turn the bass down a bit, I imagine should you go with monitors and a sub.  Sealed speakers that don't go quite so low...like the GR Research N2X, might be perfect.

turkey

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2010, 07:13 pm »
Sounds like a compressor is the ticket to me too. Problem is, the only compressors are for pro audio, and might be noisy at low volumes. Used Berhringer perhaps?

dbx made some compressors that were designed for home stereo systems. There are probably some out there on the used market.

It also sounds like 20q could benefit from loudness compensation. Most receivers should have this built in.

*Scotty*

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:47 am »
If you are familiar with computers you could rip your CDs to mp3 format and apply compression to the signal and get exactly what you want and vary the compression to suit your tastes. This means playing back your music via computer as a source possibly with an inexpensive external USB DAC. In other words don't try to do it in your hardware when software will solve your problems. Anyone loading mp3s onto their Ipod is familiar with the procedures involved.
Scotty

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:49 am »
I've been listening on satellite speakers my whole life and when I listened to some rock it was startling.

Your choice of music and your CD player may be contributing to the startling sound. What type of rock do you listen too? A lot of modern rock is heavily compressed to sound good in a car but not through a high resolution stereo.

Some CD players can sound harsh too. Perhaps a reallocation of funds to include a more mellow CD player would get the sound you are after.

Carl V

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:29 am »
What the OP needs & wants is less dynamic range.
And that is easily accomplished with a Modern AVR.
In fact many have variable Compression ratios.
They are referred to as Nigth-time ranges.  EQ levels.
Dynamic equilization.  Dialog normalization.

In other words
the Lows & Highs are made to be more level.  Many people
are annoyed with Movie Sound tracks that are too Loud & then too quiet.  They complain of dialog which isn't clearly
intelligible & then when the Musical Score comes on they are tunring down the Volume.  "gain riding" the volume.
Or the dialog is fine but they are blasted out of the room
when SFX kick in.

Look around for a good deal on a modern AVR with
variable  EQ.  Listen to Speakers with that AVR.

Any good quality speaker will perform well under these
conditions. Pick a speaker with tone & timbre which
appeals to you with the Music you like.  A sep. Sub
will help out.

Good luck.

PMAT

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2010, 03:38 am »
Great suggestion Carl. Compressed, good sound. Sheesh. It will still require speakers with good tonality. Cheap plastic speakers are not the way to go here though.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:05 am »
I agree a computer may be the best way to go, followed by a compressor/eq device(s). Stereo gear is built to preserve dynamic range, so don't buy your gear on the basis of minimizing dynamic range. You want to buy on the basis of many other things, like tone, imaging, resolution, etc... then you can adjust the sound using compression or whatever.