Modifying Spatial M3T's (not S's)

Goosepond

• Virna!
Modifying Spatial M3T's (not S's)
« on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:51 pm »
Hi,

I'm really enjoying my M3T's, my first experience with O.B.'s.

But I've now decided to modify the hell out of them!!!  :thumb:

Not really, but here's what I'd like to do and am just wondering if maybe I should just leave them alone:

1. I want to make the SPATIAL name on the front at the bottom more visible. What I'd like to do is is fill in the letters with something black but I'd also like to be able to remove it if I decide to. Any ideas what wouldn't be permanent with the finish?

2. Here's the biggie: I want to remove the speaker baffle/covering so I can see those big bad boys. Any reason why this shouldn't be done or how difficult it might be to remove those 2 big drivers?

Thanks for any feedback about these 2 earth-shattering modifications.  :green:

Gene

JackD

Re: Modifying Spatial M3T's (not S's)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:49 am »
I would e-mail Clayton directly.

TimS

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2017, 01:03 am »
I haven't got any M3's but have seen photo's of them without the covers and assumed they were removeable - obviously not!  Let us know if you do manage to remove them.

Hi,

I'm really enjoying my M3T's, my first experience with O.B.'s.

But I've now decided to modify the hell out of them!!!  :thumb:

Not really, but here's what I'd like to do and am just wondering if maybe I should just leave them alone:

1. I want to make the SPATIAL name on the front at the bottom more visible. What I'd like to do is is fill in the letters with something black but I'd also like to be able to remove it if I decide to. Any ideas what wouldn't be permanent with the finish?

2. Here's the biggie: I want to remove the speaker baffle/covering so I can see those big bad boys. Any reason why this shouldn't be done or how difficult it might be to remove those 2 big drivers?

Thanks for any feedback about these 2 earth-shattering modifications.  :green:

Gene

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2017, 01:06 am »
2) Removing the speaker cloth cover will mod the sound, its part of the sound envelope imo.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:39 am »
You do it by removing the driver screws from the back of the loudspeaker. i have not done it but i did tighten them up though they were kind of loose. don't overdue the tightening though.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2017, 03:02 pm »
The cloth cover also protects the cone from occasional sun light - UV and heat.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2017, 06:55 pm »
The cloth cover also protects the cone from occasional sun light - UV and heat.

Yep, I've been very careful to not let our hot sun get to my babies. But the other day there was a little glare at an extreme angle and that's when I could see a little of the driver. I'd much rather see the driver than those drab covers.

Anyway, I took the suggestion and emailed Clayton. We'll see.

Gene

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2017, 07:17 pm »
Yep, I've been very careful to not let our hot sun get to my babies. But the other day there was a little glare at an extreme angle and that's when I could see a little of the driver. I'd much rather see the driver than those drab covers.

Anyway, I took the suggestion and emailed Clayton. We'll see.

Gene
Please Note:
All fluorescent and LEDs lamps reactors emit a UV radiation field, which is carcinogenic too, this is dangerous why its just inside our houses. The LED/Plasma TVs I dont know.

SFDude

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2017, 10:37 pm »

Gene,

I'm not sure if you've ever played role playing games when you were younger. We used to do this with some of the dice (4/6/8/10/20/etc sided ones) which had their numbers engraved into the faces of each die. We used to use crayon and cover the engraved numbering with a different color that made it stand out. Then wipe the surface of the die so the numbers would stand out. Since the "SPATIAL" logo is engraved into the panels in a similar manner, you might want to use a light-colored wax filler stick for furniture and floor repair to do the same.

Just a suggestion and not something I'd want to do on my Spatials (I like it non-descript actually) but let me know if you try it and how it turns out. Pics always welcome!  :green:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:34 pm »
Gene,

I'm not sure if you've ever played role playing games when you were younger. We used to do this with some of the dice (4/6/8/10/20/etc sided ones) which had their numbers engraved into the faces of each die. We used to use crayon and cover the engraved numbering with a different color that made it stand out. Then wipe the surface of the die so the numbers would stand out. Since the "SPATIAL" logo is engraved into the panels in a similar manner, you might want to use a light-colored wax filler stick for furniture and floor repair to do the same.

Just a suggestion and not something I'd want to do on my Spatials (I like it non-descript actually) but let me know if you try it and how it turns out. Pics always welcome!  :green:

Yeah, I could just use a black felt tip marker but again I wouldn't want to use anything that won't come off easily. Maybe some black electrical tape. That should look classy.  :nono:

Clayton would hunt me down and hurt me!

Gene

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm »
Well, that's the end of that.

I just heard from Clayton and he pretty well pooh-poohed both ideas. So all I've got left is to just listen to them just the way they are!  :green:

Oh, and he said not to worry, he wouldn't think of hunting me down and hurting me. He'd just quietly laugh at these crazy audio nuts!

Gene

harley.guy07

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2017, 07:52 pm »
I have used paint pen markers for all sorts of projects and they work well

http://www.michaels.com/liquitex-professional-paint-marker-fine-phthalocyanine-blue-green-shade/MCA4620110.html?dwvar_MCA4620110_color=Phthalocyanine%20Blue%20%28Green%20Shade%29#start=2

Just an example of the markers I am talking about. You could paint the inside area of the SPATIAL logo just be careful not to get it on the outer paint outside the lettering

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2017, 11:30 pm »
Thanks. I notice it says on the marker that's it's permanent.

Clayton definitely discouraged me from removing the cloth driver covers but I'll think some more about blacking in the logo (I still think it would help to broadcast to the world or at least to me who makes these guys  :thumb:)

Gene