Cherry Ultra Monos in the system

mfsoa

Cherry Ultra Monos in the system
« on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:51 pm »
Tommy was over for the Superbowl and left some goodies behind - A pair of Cherry Ultra Monos.

I didn't think bass could get any better than what I was already getting from my stereo Plus (I think it's closer to an Ultra actually) but it can. Deep, stump-pulling bass from these monos that I can't believe. The rest of the frequency range is excellent as well - maybe a bit more refined than my stereo Cherry and better imaging too, maybe because of the dual-mono config. Anyway, a few quick snaps from my not-so-good camera  :oops: :  Stereo on the bottom shelf, monos above. That'd be 5400 watts of transformer there  :o

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Cherry Ultra Monos in the system
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:40 am »
The photo quality isn't all that bad.  Thanks for the kind words and hope you have some fun with them.  My speakers (including the B&Ws) can't show them off as well as yours.  Can you list your components, please?

-Tommy O

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2012, 10:31 am »
 Looking good Mike , can't wait to hear them

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm »
Enjoy those Mike!!! Man-o-man those look killer!  :thumb:

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:19 pm »
jellis! :thumb:

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2012, 08:52 pm »
My friend (catch that disclosure?) Tommy dropped off these amps on Superbowl Sunday and picked them up on Mar-17, so I'd like to try to summarize my experience.

As mentioned in my first post, I was immediately taken by the bass, which is often people's first gut reaction to the Cherry amps. However stone-cold, they didn't have the midrange detail that I am used to from my stereo Cherry Plus (w/ upgraded 1800 watt (or volt-amp, I have been told  :thumb:) transformer).

But over time the frequency ranges all came together very nicely for sure. The Monos ended up still being a little less eager in the upper mids, resulting in a more mature-sounding, smoother presentation while still having all the quickness you would expect. And that bass, oh man that bass.

The monos were also a bit quieter than my stereo - Better channel isolation? I don't know. With my preamp (VAC Standard MKII) off, my Stereo unit has a little buzz through the speakers but the monos were dead quiet. 

The overall presentation of the monos remains completely composed at all volumes. Lately I've been reading that some respected designers feel that you need many hundreds of watts of power to keep from clipping frequently, so maybe this helps the insanely powerful monos retain the same sonic signature and dynamics at even the loudest listening levels. (Von Schweikert VR4JRs BTW). Scary, if you ask for it.

The real test was when I put my Stereo Cherry Plus back in after the monos went home with papa. The SQ definitely took a little turn for the worse, IMO. The midrange/upper midrange became a little more foreward, more present which might be a good thing in many systems but I missed to ultra-smoothness of the monos right away. And imaging wasn't quite as precise w/ the Stereo - advantage to the dual-mono topology? Perhaps...

I have been listening to a lot of classical lately and the monos do a better job of portraying the true character of acoustic instruments. Not night-and-day by any means, but a slight and noticeable difference if you hear then back-to-back. A little more body/ a little less string...

Of course the monos were absolutely flawless in their operation, as has every Digital Amp Co product I've sampled. But that's not too big a deal, I guess - SS amps should be pretty bullet-proof.

I had assumed that since each mono has the same 1800 V A transformer as my Stereo Cherry, that they would make double the power. But that's not the case. From what I gather, the Monos have greater dymanic headroom than the Stereo, and maybe this results in the completely unstressed ease that I felt when listening to them.

Anyway, what else to say without dipping further into the stock audiophile dictionary?

Sweet amps. Unlimited power combined with silky finesse.

One more thought - I did almost all of the auditioning using a $10 Monster pwr strip with 2 x $6 Volex power cords, so I'd imagine there is more to be had from these beasties. (The last day I had then some gents brought some better strips/conditioners, but as I was hosting a GTG it was tough top get a true sense of the SQ over the din)

Thanks, Tommy. Gotta do this again sometime soon  :thumb:

-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:41 pm »
My friend (catch that disclosure?) Tommy dropped off these amps on Superbowl Sunday and picked them up on Mar-17, so I'd like to try to summarize my experience.

As mentioned in my first post, I was immediately taken by the bass, which is often people's first gut reaction to the Cherry amps. However stone-cold, they didn't have the midrange detail that I am used to from my stereo Cherry Plus (w/ upgraded 1800 watt (or volt-amp, I have been told  :thumb:) transformer).

But over time the frequency ranges all came together very nicely for sure. The Monos ended up still being a little less eager in the upper mids, resulting in a more mature-sounding, smoother presentation while still having all the quickness you would expect. And that bass, oh man that bass.

The monos were also a bit quieter than my stereo - Better channel isolation? I don't know. With my preamp (VAC Standard MKII) off, my Stereo unit has a little buzz through the speakers but the monos were dead quiet. 

The overall presentation of the monos remains completely composed at all volumes. Lately I've been reading that some respected designers feel that you need many hundreds of watts of power to keep from clipping frequently, so maybe this helps the insanely powerful monos retain the same sonic signature and dynamics at even the loudest listening levels. (Von Schweikert VR4JRs BTW). Scary, if you ask for it.

The real test was when I put my Stereo Cherry Plus back in after the monos went home with papa. The SQ definitely took a little turn for the worse, IMO. The midrange/upper midrange became a little more foreward, more present which might be a good thing in many systems but I missed to ultra-smoothness of the monos right away. And imaging wasn't quite as precise w/ the Stereo - advantage to the dual-mono topology? Perhaps...

I have been listening to a lot of classical lately and the monos do a better job of portraying the true character of acoustic instruments. Not night-and-day by any means, but a slight and noticeable difference if you hear then back-to-back. A little more body/ a little less string...

Of course the monos were absolutely flawless in their operation, as has every Digital Amp Co product I've sampled. But that's not too big a deal, I guess - SS amps should be pretty bullet-proof.

I had assumed that since each mono has the same 1800 V A transformer as my Stereo Cherry, that they would make double the power. But that's not the case. From what I gather, the Monos have greater dymanic headroom than the Stereo, and maybe this results in the completely unstressed ease that I felt when listening to them.

Anyway, what else to say without dipping further into the stock audiophile dictionary?

Sweet amps. Unlimited power combined with silky finesse.

One more thought - I did almost all of the auditioning using a $10 Monster pwr strip with 2 x $6 Volex power cords, so I'd imagine there is more to be had from these beasties. (The last day I had then some gents brought some better strips/conditioners, but as I was hosting a GTG it was tough top get a true sense of the SQ over the din)

Thanks, Tommy. Gotta do this again sometime soon  :thumb:

-Mike
Thanks, Mike.  Your speakers are awesome, but even better now with the "platforms".  I'll post pictures of your rave sometime soon, but no pics of those, at least not that I remember.  Thinking about sending that very same pair out for a mag review, but which one?
-Tommy O

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:37 pm »
Like so...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2012, 06:20 pm »
Like so...

Info on the platforms, please....  :)

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2012, 07:47 pm »
Auralex Gramma.

Worked exactly as I had hoped, reducing the speaker-floor interaction allowing for much smoother/ more linear bass response.

Floor is suspended wood that is braced very sturdily from underneath.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp