Power Conditioning/Cable Recommendations for Cherry Plus?

tcsubwoofer

Tommy or the AC crew...any recommendations on power conditioners of after market power cables for your Cherry amps?  I picked up watercourse's Cherry Plus and am pretty excited to get it in the new few days.  What I didn't expect was to be looking for some value conditioners or cables to consider for the amp.  I have been a skeptic, but stopped by a hi-fi shop a couple days ago and really did hear a difference in power cables swapped to a McIntosh preamp.  Now that I'm researching power cables it seems there are a lot of astonished people at the improvement in sound quality with good power cables.  Wondering if you found that to be the case with the Cherry amp?

Might do some DIY cables per watercourse's recommendation.  Also looking at Shunyata hydra power conditioners and cables (definitely not fitting the value catagory)...possibly a furman or higher end Panamax conditioner.  I've had some people say that a good Panamax for a few hundred is all you need for power conditioning while others have said that I wouldn't be happy with less than a Shunyata Hydra 4 for $1k.  Ideas for conditioners or cables?  Just looking for experiences from the Cherry Amp crowd.

watercourse

Re: Power Conditioning/Cable Recommendations for Cherry Plus?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2012, 03:50 am »
I did a search of "power cord" and "power cable" within the DAC circle, and came up with a couple of hits:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86164.msg850941#msg850941
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89904.msg887291#msg887291
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81039.msg821034#msg821034
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78803.msg772038#msg772038

I've had good results with both a vdH Mainsstream and an Audio Horizons Transparency II. I preferred connecting the Plus to a PS Audio Juice Bar II with either the vdH or AH cables straight to the outlet rather than the APC H15 conditioner I have. Could be the built-in filtering that the Plus has the minimizes the need for conditioning?

C'mon Cherry owners, help a brother out here?

Wilson

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2012, 06:21 am »
Amazing performance from a WyWires Juice power cord on my Cherry Jr, going into the UberBUSS from PI Audio Group.  Couldn't live without my BUSS!

Highly recommend Dave from PI Audio. Give him a shout. He has very good cables as well.

mojave

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2012, 04:34 pm »
Amazing performance from a WyWires Juice power cord on my Cherry Jr, going into the UberBUSS from PI Audio Group.  Couldn't live without my BUSS!

Highly recommend Dave from PI Audio. Give him a shout. He has very good cables as well.
I'm using an APC H15, but have thought about getting an UberBUSS. I use two Pi Audio power cords on my Cherry Monoblocks and really like them. I also recommend Dave.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:34 pm »
I'm a big believer in science.   What really matters in a power cord is that it carries the current to the amp.  Heavy gauge wire is a must, along with good quality connectors for reliability.  There's a small company in NJ that makes really nice cords, and I bought a pair for Cherry MONO demos.  They are also very flexible which is nice when you need to swap out components.  I have a Pangea 9-gauge that's just too hard to maneuver sometimes, but I trust it to be the strongest connection to the AC mains possible.  You can sometimes hear the difference but it's really a tweak unless there's something bad about the cord you're replacing.

As far as power conditioning, the Cherry amp is designed to tolerate large fluctuations in AC mains voltage and distortion.  Some line conditions have caused problems for our customers, such as one from PS Audio that actually "boosts" the voltage so much that it trips the over-voltage protection in the amp.  The other issue is power output since handling peaks can be difficult even for high power conditioners.

In most cases, you should try out these things before committing to them.  I'm also a believer in the psychosomatic improvement.   A friend of mine bought $2500 speaker cables once and we spent half a day on A/B comparisons.  I didn't hear any improvement, but he swore he did.  I'm pretty sure he was pre convinced based on the cash he just spent.

-Tommy O     

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:08 pm »
Fess up, Tommy  :lol: - You (and my wife) were pretty amazed at the difference you heard between the much-heralded $6 Volex and the Black Sand Silver Ref MkV on my system  :thumb:

The Black Sand was a little too bright overall. I've since moved to a Triode Pete 9 ga cord which seems pretty neutral and sweet, for my Cherry Plus.  Largely staying away from obsessing over cables lately, for sanity and $$$'s sake.

Haven't tried a conditioner on it, though. Looking forward to hearing an Uber one day, courtesy of Rollo.

Highfilter - Do you have any of your other gear through your Uber? Thanks

I'd say the DAC amps are just so freakin good that any reasonable PC will work well - If you want to try to season to taste, they will respond.

-Mike

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2012, 12:30 am »
This thread got me interested in the Uber.  Wilson, thanks for all the links.  The way my system is split out if I were to go with a power conditioner I'd go with something small like the Uber or the Shunyata Hydra 2 down the road to run my DAC and Mac Mini.  Right now I'm just going to plug the Cherry Plus strait into the wall and not worry for awhile.  The stock cord on it is pretty hefty and better than on my Outlaw Audio monoblocks.