Surge protection...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Surge protection...
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2012, 05:23 pm »
Measurements don't really tell the whole story when it come down to what is and what is not audible when you get down to this level. 
I'm sure there are certain parameters that are used to test a surge protector though.  Right?  I guess that's what I was asking.  How much of a surge is the BUSS-Stop rated for?  Has it been tested?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2012, 05:36 pm »
What are the actual test technical specs of this unit?
Hmmm, well first, I cannot and I will not generate a 40KV pulse to test the unit.  As a retired semiconductor implant tech I have respect for uncontained pulses.  Ergo, there will be no destructive testing done on the uinit.

Components for the BUSS-Stop were selected from the best possible parts and pieces out there that arebenign in sonics as well as having specifications that are necessary for my use.  I will ONLY use the finest parts available and will not cut corners on costs.  Then I determined that I would use enough of these components to give a 100% headroom safety factor for my selected target of 40KV @ 20KA.  Initial clamping voltage for surges is 180V.

As a rule I do not and will not publish technical data on my units.  All of this is proprietary and will continue to be so.  Sorry 'bout that, but I come from an industry rife with crooks and thieves and due to a recent backstabbing by a trusted associate (from which I am just now beginning to recover) I'm just weird that way.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2012, 05:38 pm »
Hmmm, well first, I cannot and I will not generate a 40KV pulse to test the unit.  As a retired semiconductor implant tech I have respect for uncontained pulses.  Ergo, there will be no destructive testing done on the uinit.

Components for the BUSS-Stop were selected from the best possible parts and pieces out there that arebenign in sonics as well as having specifications that are necessary for my use.  I will ONLY use the finest parts available and will not cut corners on costs.  Then I determined that I would use enough of these components to give a 100% headroom safety factor for my selected target of 40KV @ 20KA.  Initial clamping voltage for surges is 180V.

As a rule I do not and will not publish technical data on my units.  All of this is proprietary and will continue to be so.  Sorry 'bout that, but I come from an industry rife with crooks and thieves and due to a recent backstabbing by a trusted associate (from which I am just now beginning to recover) I'm just weird that way.

Dave
OK.  I was just asking if the unit was tested by an outside lab and if so, what it was rated for.  That's it. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2012, 05:40 pm »
I'm sure there are certain parameters that are used to test a surge protector though.  Right?  I guess that's what I was asking.  How much of a surge is the BUSS-Stop rated for?  Has it been tested?
A follow up to my post above.  The best way I know to do this testing is with a burst generator and I don't have one.  The next best thing to do is to design a battleship.... at least I think.  The components that I selected are really, REALLY good ones with terriffic specs and I can't hear 'em.  That along with the 100% headroom target, I'm pretty confident in the BUSS-Stop.

Like the name?    :scratch:

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2012, 05:42 pm »
OK.  I was just asking if the unit was tested by an outside lab and if so, what it was rated for.  That's it.
I would like to get it tested, but frankly don't have the $$$ to do so.  Because of that I built it as stout as I can for audio use.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2012, 05:42 pm »
Like the name?    :scratch:
Yes I do. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2012, 05:54 pm »
Try this?   :o

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
Try this?   :o

Which one are you?   :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2012, 06:48 pm »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:06 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday - should get it plugged in tomorrow and have a chance to do some listening (or if it's another one of those nights, I'll get it all done at around 1 AM  :duh:).

Thanks Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #30 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:25 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday - should get it plugged in tomorrow and have a chance to do some listening (or if it's another one of those nights, I'll get it all done at around 1 AM  :duh:).

Thanks Dave
You are most welcome, John.

I want to thank ALL of the people that bought these units for being so patient during my relapse in my recovery.  64 doesn't heal well and all of you were exceedingly gracious through all of this...

It is good to be "back!"   :thumb:

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jul 2012, 05:00 am »
 :duh:

OK. I feel stooooopid.

I've been having issues with my setup and have been messing around with setup: Speaker positioning, speaker cables, interconnects, crossover settings. I've made a little bit of progress and achieved a flatter measured response, but still not been satisfied. I like listening at what I consider "realistic" levels. I like bass. I like drums. Yet in spite of a good measured response, I've been missing that slam that I enjoy.

I received the BUSS-Stop and finally got around to plugging it in and doing some semi serious listening.

WOW. Slam is back. Starting to grin again.

Is it the BUSS-Stop? Don't know, BUT......

I unplugged everything from my old Monster Cable power strip that I used to provide some level of surge protection (I live in the mountains of SoCal, and during the summer, some of those monsoons can drift up this way and provide a decent display. I wanted some protection, hence the power strip)

I believe that that MC power strip may have been limiting the current to my amps as I start cranking it up and limiting the transient attacks in the bass region.  I could be wrong, but it's something like that.

I may have to go back and change the settings on the LS-6 crossovers.

:duh: :duh:

I'm going to get more serious about this power stuff - there may be no "sonic improvement" over plugging it straight into the wall, but I think that you can sure screw it up with things in between your equipment and the wall.