NX-Treme vs LS9

Metfit77@gmail.com

NX-Treme vs LS9
« on: 25 Mar 2021, 08:12 pm »
Hello,
I am considering the purchase of one of these speakers. I understand they have a completely different design, but how does their sound differ from one another?
Has anyone heard both?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: NX-Treme vs LS9
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2021, 08:29 pm »
I've personally only heard Danny's pair of NX-treme.
But it's easily one of the most grand & effortless sounding systems that exists. Hearing them with a modified, 8.5W 300B amp is still an incredible experience that I wont soon forget.

It's also helped me learn alot about what to listen for in my own system.

Sadly I haven't heard the LS9 but im sure its equally as impressed.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2021, 04:05 am »
Hobbs, to re-iterate the question asked by Metfit77;

-how does there sound differ?
-has anyone heard both?

Since you have not heard both, you probably should not respond, I could be wrong, but I believe the questions asked were in fact specific

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2021, 04:13 am »
I've heard both.  To me the NX-treme is definitely the better sounding speaker.  The LS9 cannot match the triple OB subs that the NX-Treme has, and I find the LS9 highs to be a bit too hot for my tastes. 

And the LS9 is easier to get good performance in a room compared to regular box speakers because it's a line array (and I love line arrays), but it still cannot match the ease of room integration that the NX-Treme has.  JMHO.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2021, 01:51 pm »
The LS-9 was a rock the house speaker that is fun to listen to. You can throw anything at them including tons of power and they just eat it up with ease and give back everything they get.

The NX-Treme is completely different. They excel in every area and have been my favorite speakers to listen to. They aren't really like listening to speakers. Listening to them is more like listening to live music.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2021, 02:44 pm »
I've heard both.  To me the NX-treme is definitely the better sounding speaker.  The LS9 cannot match the triple OB subs that the NX-Treme has, and I find the LS9 highs to be a bit too hot for my tastes. 

And the LS9 is easier to get good performance in a room compared to regular box speakers because it's a line array (and I love line arrays), but it still cannot match the ease of room integration that the NX-Treme has.  JMHO.
I hold Tyson's opinion in high regard, but disagree about using the word "better" but instead use the comparative "different".  The LS9 gives up very little in bass (but some)- which like the NX-Treme you can supplement with OB subs (but unlike them, you don't have to).  Where it excels is in the creation of venue space or hall ambience.  Classical music is their forte. 
We all agree on the superiority of the NX-Treme (and most OB speakers) in room placement. They're just easier to get right than the LS9. Also, you can use a much smaller amp, since the low bass is not provided by the NX-Treme but by the additional subs.  The LS9 requires real heft in an amp.  As for a hot high end, it hasn't been an issue for my older ears.  If anything, my friend that is a mastering engineer commented that he thought the highs needed a bit of accentuation.   Oh well.
But when set up well, the LS9 has some advantages.  The full line of electrostatic mid-tweeters from floor to about 7 ft. does some amazing stuff concerning spatial effects. 
Disclaimer... I own the LS9's, but I've heard nearly all of Danny's designs.  The Super7's and the LS9 are also different but really close in what they achieve.  Some have stated they prefer the NX-Treme to the Super7, but that's not my preference. The only speaker I've heard that is clearly superior was Danny's prototype Line Force with the massive OB sub array.  Holy mother, what an amazing experience.  That's a different level,

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2021, 05:43 pm »
If the LS9 had a FR trap to smooth out that peak at 10khz, it would be a nearly perfect box speaker, IMO.  In every other respect it’s a world class speaker.  I almost bought a pair myself, that’s how good they are.  But just couldn’t live with that.

A friend of mine actually has the open baffle LS9 and it’s EVEN BETTER than the box version.  There are things an OB line source can do that other designs just can’t. Simply incredible.  But still has that same 10khz peak that is just not there with the Super 7 and the NX series.  And that’s the main reason I ended up with the Super 7. 

One thing you didn’t mention as a strength of the LS9 is the shear scale and power it is capable of.  IMO in those areas it’s unmatched by any other speakers I’ve heard.  Except for the Line Force and those line arrays that Danny built for Mockingbird Audio several years ago.

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2021, 06:39 pm »
If the LS9 had a FR trap to smooth out that peak at 10khz, it would be a nearly perfect box speaker, IMO.  In every other respect it’s a world class speaker....
Like I said, I've got much older ears.  10K doesn't really affect me much. :thumb: 
We all have our favorites (7's and 9's are mine) You mentioned power, and I suspect that plays into what I like about the 9's for symphonic music.
But the 9's are not easily available and the NX-Tremes are... and they are a fantastic speaker when combined with subs. Very natural, very convincing. As Danny said, like listening to music.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:38 pm »
I'll be honest (and I know it's heresy), I think I actually like the NX-Otica tower and triple subs more than I like the NX-Tremes with triple subs.  Don't get me wrong, there was something very effortless, powerful and magnificent about the NX-Treme presentation.  But on the other hand, with the NX-Otica tower, the imaging just broke free of the speakers and floated about the room in a really special way. 

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:00 pm »
I kind of agree Tyson, having had both NX's with triple subs I think the determining factor maybe the room height, I would say that the extra foundation (mid-bass fullness/space) that the Extreme's can provide with 4 more 165's in taller rooms is a better fit, however I was never let down with the Ottica's in either my, or Jay's room. Ironically, my GR journey began while trying to purchase some OB LS9's, a long story that went south by a rather corrupt dealer etc. etc. Hence the NX's, hopefully this was not to far off topic as I never did get a chance to hear the LS9's

Don

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:17 pm »
Not off topic at all.  One thing that I've observed is that there is a house sound to Danny's creations, tweaked by the same ears.  Natural and musical applies to just about everything he builds. 
Oh, and to the original poster, the LS9 needs a big space.  If it's not going in a large room, the question about which is best is moot. 
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2021, 05:55 pm by S Clark »

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:21 pm »
If the LS9 had a FR trap to smooth out that peak at 10khz, it would be a nearly perfect box speaker, IMO.  In every other respect it’s a world class speaker.  I almost bought a pair myself, that’s how good they are.  But just couldn’t live with that.

It was actually at 13kHz and there was a notch filter on it that flatted it out.

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:41 pm »
I kind of agree Tyson, having had both NX's with triple subs I think the determining factor maybe the room height, I would say that the extra foundation (mid-bass fullness/space) that the Extreme's can provide with 4 more 165's in taller rooms is a better fit, however I was never let down with the Ottica's in either my, or Jay's room. Ironically, my GR journey began while trying to purchase some OB LS9's, a long story that went south by a rather corrupt dealer etc. etc. Hence the NX's, hopefully this was not to far off topic as I never did get a chance to hear the LS9's

Don

The other thing that occurs to me is that the NX-Treme might require a bigger room to sound their best than the one I heard them in.  So take my opinions with a grain of salt!  Best thing to do, if you're thinking about a purchase at this level is to take a trip to TX and have a listen.  I promise they will blow away everything you've heard at anywhere near this price point. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:46 pm »
I'll be honest (and I know it's heresy), I think I actually like the NX-Otica tower and triple subs more than I like the NX-Tremes with triple subs.  Don't get me wrong, there was something very effortless, powerful and magnificent about the NX-Treme presentation.  But on the other hand, with the NX-Otica tower, the imaging just broke free of the speakers and floated about the room in a really special way.
Agree, it probably because there is nothing above the MTM getting in the way.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2021, 02:41 am »
Interesting comments, but I am confused about several of them.

They refer to the NX-Treme "with Triple OB Subs" sounding better than the LS 9.

Those subs are an "add-on" option. Shouldn't you compare the LS9 with the triple OB Subs as well? Or conversely, the NX-Tremes without the subs?

:icon_twisted: Just stirring the pot. I have heard the LS9's but not the NX-Tremes.

:popcorn:

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:13 pm »
The NX-Treme are open baffle, and therefore designed to hand off bass to subwoofers for bass response below 200Hz.  The LS9 is a box speaker, and creates its bass into the low 20's on its own.  Although priced separately, you have to think of the NX-Treme and sub unit as a package. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2021, 06:44 pm »

I'm in agreement with the above although,  that may vary in different rooms. 
And,  IIRC,  the   NX-Treme's you  heard had some network   upgrades that. the  NX-Otica's did not.

It is hard to   even make a fair comparison when you  have those  massive speakers  parked up front

jay

soundofrockets

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2021, 02:30 am »
Agree with you John - comparison should be with stand alone NX Extreme and LS9 followed by both paired with Triple OB subs ( single or pair).

I have not heard NX Extreme but have heard LS 9 with and without the subs.

Tyson

« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2021, 02:32 am »
The subs are part of the design of the NX-Treme.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2021, 03:03 am »
Agree with you John - comparison should be with stand alone NX Extreme and LS9 followed by both paired with Triple OB subs ( single or pair).

I have not heard NX Extreme but have heard LS 9 with and without the subs.
Not to derail the thread, but....

I think your LS9's kick behind. They sound very good. Interesting listening to different amps with them. They have outstanding bass and I would love to hear them with the OB Subs.

You got it all worked out and dialed in yet?