M165X Woofer in a car application

oldman45

M165X Woofer in a car application
« on: 29 Jul 2012, 08:29 pm »
I am trying to decide what to do for my front stage in my car.  I already know that I am going to run an active setup, so the crossover situation is verty flexible.  I've been looking at different component set and decided to look at individual drivers instead.  At first I was looking at the Dayton RS180 and then the GR M165X. 

How do think one of these would work in the front doors?

nickd

Re: M165X Woofer in a car application
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2012, 08:51 pm »
I would go with Alpine and don't look back. They are engineered with glues and plastics that can handle the moisture & 175+ degree temps of a car and they actually sound quite good.  :)

Value is OK too.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2012, 09:10 pm »
They should work if you have the room (esp. depth) to fit them.
There are a lot of good options out there including Alpine.

BTW I used Vifa P series in my front doors for over a decade and would still be using them if the drivers door on my 92 didn't leak.

oldman45

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2012, 09:36 pm »
I would go with Alpine and don't look back. They are engineered with glues and plastics that can handle the moisture & 175+ degree temps of a car and they actually sound quite good.  :)

Value is OK too.

I was concerned about the rough environment too.  I'd hate to have good drivers go waste.

oldman45

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2012, 09:38 pm »
They should work if you have the room (esp. depth) to fit them.
There are a lot of good options out there including Alpine.

BTW I used a Vifa P series in my front doors for over a decade and would still be using them if the drivers door on my 92 didn't leak.

I think I have enough depth for them.  What freq did you cross them over at?  Did they sound much different than what you expected?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2012, 09:46 pm »
I think I have enough depth for them.  What freq did you cross them over at?  Did they sound much different than what you expected?

Mine were 4.5~5" drivers, I crossed them @3k to LPG 1" tweets, IMO they were better than any car brand at the time for the price.
I tend to like the smaller drivers when used as a 2 way for front stage.