"mono block" and "dual mono" for ref1s

angelo

« on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:40 pm »
i'm trying to find the right amp for my speakers (Onix Ref1), i just auditioned an Aragon 2002 and it is a lot better compare to my HK 7200 receiver, the HK 7200 was used as preamp.

is the "dual mono" the same as a pair of "mono block" in one enclosure?

has anybody tried this amp w/ the Onix Ref1s? I also might be interested w/ a new pre so how do you think the Onix Ref1s would match w/ "Dual Mono" + Tempest combo? Is there a package deal for these two?

i guess only klaus can answer this, how do you compare the "dual mono" to your upcoming digital amp when paired w/ the Onix Ref1s. What's the estimate price for the digital amp?

sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance

angelo

J North

Dual Mono vs Stereo Extreme?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2004, 03:16 pm »
Klaus,

Further to the Dual Mono Question, what is the difference between the dual Mono and Stereo Extreme?

Also, how much db of global negative feedback do the Odyssey amps have?

Thanks!

F-100

Re: "mono block" and "dual mono" for ref
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2004, 03:26 pm »
Angelo,
   My system consists of  Dual Mono Stratos + Tempest + Onix Ref1 + Denon 2900 and let me tell you this system produce beautiful sound.  Yes, the DM is the same as Mono blocks, no different in sound. Basicly, it's two boards packed into one chasis.

If you're near LA, you're welcome to come by and check these babies out.

angelo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:04 pm »
thanks for the offer f100 but i'm in NY

how do you integrate your sub w/ your system? does the tempest have 2 outputs, one for L+R and one for SUB?

angelo

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:07 pm »
what part of new york :?:

angelo

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:08 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
what part of new york :?:

queens :)

angelo

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:10 pm »
oh well i have a pair of extreme monos but im in the cuse so a demo wont work :cry:

F-100

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: angelo
thanks for the offer f100 but i'm in NY

how do you integrate your sub w/ your system? does the tempest have 2 outputs, one for L+R and one for SUB?

angelo

The standard Tempest come with only one output. However, Klaus will gladly add in another one for you for minimal cost. Right now, I'm in the process of integrating 2 custom build subwoofers using Shiva driver with my setup and I'm kind of in the limbo mode. I don't want to use an external crossover and waiting, still waiting, and waiting for Klaus to give me an "OK" to send in my Tempest for the Extreme upgrade and a second output.

Klaus, if you're reading this... Please hurry up and give me the green light. The waiting is killing me :) :)

BikeWNC

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:25 pm »
What's a 5 hour drive?  You guys up there are spoiled!  If I wasn't willing to drive a little I would never hear any components.  I hear Syracuse is beautiful in the spring.  What day is that anyway?

Andy

angelo

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:30 pm »
what is "extreme upgrade", is this for the amp or preamp? I'm assuming this is the cap upgrade listed in the website or is it more?

the dual mono and tempest really looks attractive, and shipping to NY is not so bad. once i get enough funds i'll audition both.

and thanks for the offer rosc...

angelo

angelo

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:34 pm »
f100, i'm also using denon 2900 and UFW-10 sub

my p-tech gear was sent to perpetual tech. cause the unit that i bought have some problems, hope they can fix it ASAP and be ready for the SOCS upgrade soon.

angelo

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2004, 06:00 pm »
what is "extreme upgrade", is this for the amp or preamp? I'm assuming this is the cap upgrade listed in the website or is it more?
angelo

The Extreme upgrade is for the Tempest or monoblock amps. Plenty of different parts, bypass caps, etc. Chat with Klaus and hell tell you what's up. I think you can't get a Dual-mono Extreme because the transformers would not fit into one case anymore.

Peter

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2004, 06:01 pm »
extreme monos  are based on a custom upgrade klaus did , he kept what he thought worked best for the money from that and the extreme was born.
look it up here at ac-klaus's web sight is well prehistoric, there is a new extreme upgrade for preamps the mono amp version is a year old or so.

F-100

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2004, 07:34 pm »
f100, i'm also using denon 2900 and UFW-10 sub

Just add a Stratos + Tempest to your system, you'll be in for a big suprise.  You can always return them within 30 days for full refund if not satisfy. I highly recommend this combo.

Good Luck

byteme

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:11 pm »
The extreme upgrade is also for the Stereo Stratos.  According to Klaus each step up give incrementally better sound.  Stereo to Stereo extreme to Dual Mono to Mono to Mono Extreme.  The Extreme is not available in the dual mono - not enough room.

Here's a picture of the guts of a stereo extreme -

Bigger power transformer, cap upgrade to ?? I believe also wiring and some other goodies.  You may want to do a search at Harmonic Discord for more detail.

angelo

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:22 pm »
nice pic byteme

so the dual mono is still better than the stereo extreme. How much is the stereo extreme?

any pics of the back of the tempest somewhere?

i like the fact that i can upgrade to future Odyssey amp and get 100% credit for the trade in and 20 yrs warranty is just awesome.

i'm sending back my aragon 2002 this week, the stratos stereo or dual mono is definitely my next audition

thanks,

angelo

F-100

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:24 pm »
what is "extreme upgrade", is this for the amp or preamp?

Here is the answer to Tempest extreme upgrade question.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8768&highlight=

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:31 pm »
I tried the Ref1's with the DMs and the speaker clipped at fairly high volumes.

I don't know why as the amp has more than enough power to drive the Ref1.

This is the only speaker I've had this issue with this amp.

byteme

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:36 pm »
nice pic byteme

so the dual mono is still better than the stereo extreme. How much is the stereo extreme?

any pics of the back of the tempest somewhere?

i like the fact that i can upgrade to future Odyssey amp and get 100% credit for the trade in and 20 yrs warranty is just awesome.

i'm sending back my aragon 2002 this week, the stratos stereo or dual mono is definitely my next audition

thanks,

angelo

Angelo,

The dual mono offers "incremental" improvement.  I think MSRP is $1500 or something close to that for the Extreme Stereo.  The upgrade path from there would be send it in and get it changed to an extreme Mono and then get another one.  It's a great amp.

F-100

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
I tried the Ref1's with the DMs and the speaker clipped at fairly high volumes.

I don't know why as the amp has more than enough power to drive the Ref1.

This is the only speaker I've had this issue with this amp.

I never had this problem with my Ref1 but then I don't listen to music at high volume anymore. (I guess old age come into play :) :) ).

But just for curiosity, what level of dB are you referring when you said at "fairly high volumes"?