CD copies using EAC to disc..Help

carusoracer

CD copies using EAC to disc..Help
« on: 12 Jan 2008, 09:36 pm »
Can anyone direct me to a link or simply give me the Cliffnotes or Copying CDs for dummies :oops:

What I want to do is make better copies of my cd's and burn cd's  for use in my CDP.
I have EAC loaded to my PC. I want I'm guessing to convert to FLAC for the most bit information and best true copy?

Go easy on me here,Guys :duh: Step by step... :lol:

Philistine

Re: CD copies using EAC to disc..Help
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2008, 10:20 pm »

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2008, 10:22 pm »
If all you want to do is copy CDs, then either use a straight CD copying program or use EAC to rip to WAVs.  There's no point in wasting time encoding to FLAC if you just want to burn them back out to CD.  FLAC just saves disk space compared to WAV. 

EAC has a specific button for ripping to WAV, so it's pretty easy, but the easiest is a regular CD copying program (unless you want to make your own compilations or otherwise change what is on the CD).  Pretty much any CD burning software has a CD copy feature - you can also find freeware CD burning software here: http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm »
Thanks BradyJudy,

Do I have any loss of quality or Bits when doing this directly? Or using EAC. I'm trying to get a better copy than the original from what EAC and other PC people have touted..
I made several copies with my pc into wav files about 4 yours ago and the sound quality was only fit for background Hot tub music :o

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2008, 10:38 pm »
Are you looking for an EAC tutorial like this?
http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/eac.shtml

John151

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2008, 11:01 pm »
I had been using EAC and flac for the last few years.  However, I am in the process of converting to iTunes using Apple Lossless.  I have found that the software is much easier to set up, use, and the database (song & artists names) is much better than FreeDB. If you are finding EAC to be a challenge, then you might want to try iTunes, just make sure you select Apple Lossless as the format.

Big Red Machine

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2008, 12:57 am »
Thanks BradyJudy,

Do I have any loss of quality or Bits when doing this directly? Or using EAC. I'm trying to get a better copy than the original from what EAC and other PC people have touted..
I made several copies with my pc into wav files about 4 yours ago and the sound quality was only fit for background Hot tub music :o

By definition there will not be any loss of bits.  Otherwise disc copying of data discs would result in bad data. 

The only way you could possibly end up with a better (or worse) sounding CD through copying is if there is a difference in the media that is causing your CD player to interpret the bits differently. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2008, 02:15 am »
Get Itunes, rip to its library, use a short cut and make a playlist, burn.  Easy.

PS:  Do not forget to optimize the setting for ripping, I set it up for Apple Lossless with error correction. 

I used to remember other ripping software programs up to about a couple of years ago but Itunes gave me this facility without paying for it.  I do not know of any other program that is as easy and intuitive as it is.

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2008, 02:40 am »
Will itunes burn Flac to apple lossless?

John151

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2008, 06:03 pm »
Will itunes burn Flac to apple lossless?

Not that I know of.  There were some rumors that the new version running on Leopard (the latest version of the Max OS) would support FLAC, but I have not heard confirmation of that rumor (and I don't have Leopard).

ZLS

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:36 pm »
    Leopard no.  There is a program called MacFLAC but I have not investigated it.  Itunes will not see FLAC, it will see WAV files and will import them. 

avta

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:48 pm »
There is a free program called Max ( www.sbooth.org ) that I use for ripping with Mac OS. I use 10.4.11. I don't know if it runs on 10.5 ( Leopard ). I compared rips with Max to rips of the same cd with DBPower amp on a Windows computer and was unable to tell the difference. My system is of good quality.

carusoracer

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2008, 11:35 pm »
Thanks for the links and responses...I will try and make some copies using EAC or try Itunes.