Alex's Transporter

jhm731

bhobba

Re: Alex's Transporter
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:17 am »
http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=688

My my that does look interesting.  After giving the matter a lot of thought I feel a transporter may be the way to go with a new system I am putting together.  Considered a lot of options like a modified Azur 740C - almost decided on that.  But after considering it over the transporter the fact it can connect direct to amplifiers won me over - I am not up for the cost of a pre amp.

Guess I will have to post to see if they can accommodate me.

Thanks
Bill

yooper

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2008, 01:09 pm »
Appreciate the link.

I have considered modding my Transporter, and this certainly gives me another option to explore. 

Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2008, 01:30 pm »
Mark, how does your TP sound stock?  Better than some external DACs?

Only issue I have with this mod is the XLR's are decommisioned.  But using a TP as preamp makes perfect sense to me now.  I'm almost to bliss level.

yooper

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2008, 02:59 pm »
Pete,

I love the Transporter as is, which has kept me from modding it.  It is hard to believe much improvement can be had by modding the TP (laws of diminishing returns) but I am curious.  Always looking to squeeze out that little extra.

I've also considered Modwright's tube mod, but because I use a tubed pre already, I don't think I want introduce more tube flavor.

I have heard the Benchmark in my system.  It was fantastic, but to me, there was no reason to keep it as I preferred the TP DAC.

When your ready, I hope to hear your new system/room.  I know you have been very busy buying new equipment and tweaking your room.  If I do get out to your place, I'll bring my Transporter with me and we can compare it with your SB/DAC.

Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:50 pm »
I'll have to host another get-together.  Still more changes happening as we speak.

SP you have not used the TP as a preamp?

yooper

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:07 pm »
No, I have not tried it yet, but will.  Honestly, I have been to lazy to mess with attuniation as well as mess with redoing cables.  I hope I don't prefer it to my tubed pre, cause I like glowy things  :hyper: and it would make me sad to sell my pre. :bawl:

Mark