Monitors jammed into the corners

rand

Monitors jammed into the corners
« on: 30 Apr 2018, 10:57 pm »
For my desktop system, I need to put both speakers into the corners of the room - on either side of the computer.

Since Roy Allison is dead, I am wondering if there are any solutions for this?

I currently have Monitor Audio BXB8's but they are bass ported designs with the ports firing right into the corvners form the rear of the speakers...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Monitors jammed into the corners
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2018, 12:00 am »
Hello, Rand.

Ya know, a photo of your room would be a tremendous help. Stand right up against the rear wall facing the computer. Next, tell us the room dimensions (L"xW"xH").

Regards,

Michael

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2018, 01:25 am »
Advantages of putting speakers in the corners are lower and louder bass due to radiating into less volume. Higher efficiency. You can block off the reflex ports with a rolled up sock or soft rubber ball etc if the bass is too much, or too loose or whatever. It won't hurt the speaker in any way to try it.

Disadvantage is you lose the illusion of spaciousness created by the room reflections adding to the recorded sound. The "depth" of the soundstage suffers when the speakers are close to the front wall. You still have center stereo image, but clutter between the speakers like a PC case and monitor will lessen the illusion of a center image.

With corner mounted speakers you can very easily tame the side and front wall (and desktop) reflections by putting absorption right next to the speakers on the walls (and in front of it on the desktop.) This will damp the wall-reflected energy before it has a chance to spread all over the room. Because the speakers are close to the reflecting walls the area of the acoustic treatments can be much smaller and it will work better than trying to catch those reflections on the other far walls.

If the room is as narrow as you have me imagining it, then you will probably also benefit from treating the side walls throughout the room with some midrange absorption, to avoid slap echo between the parallel walls. If the walls are only a few feet apart, then the frequency of the resonant mode will be way up into the midrange frequencies which will ruin your mixes and music listening. Small spaces are the hardest to get right. But the good thing is you don't need as much acoustic treatment. :)

Every audio system has challenges. Keep working on it, experimenting and learning, and it will get better and better. Good luck!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2018, 10:13 am »
Many studio monitors (with built-in power amps) have settings for corner use (reduce bass response).  Also look for front ported or sealed designs.  Or even just look at smaller speakers. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2018, 10:36 am »
Audio Note speakers are designed with corner use in mind. Although they make some  pricey speakers, their lower end models are fairly reasonable.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2018, 07:20 am »
For my desktop system, I need to put both speakers into the corners of the room - on either side of the computer.

Since Roy Allison is dead, I am wondering if there are any solutions for this?

I currently have Monitor Audio BXB8's but they are bass ported designs with the ports firing right into the corvners form the rear of the speakers...
I don't know what your budget is because I don't know what Monitor Audio BXB8s are worth, but it sounds like you should be looking at speakers with controlled dispersion if you can afford that, like the Dutch and Dutch 8C or the Kii Threes. If those are too pricey, get something like the IK Multimedia ARC System 2.5   http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc2/  to control the bass buildup and a pair of JBL 305P MkII or 306P mKII and laugh all the way to the bank. WIth proper EQ at hand it doesn't matter all that much if the port is at the back, but I think it does matter that the highs are limited in dispersion when the speakers must be close, laterally, to reflective surfaces.
With a conventional equalizer, anticipate the need for substantial bass cut.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2018, 11:32 pm »
Salk Sound recently posted a pair of Supercharged SongSurround speakers ready for immediate delivery, since surround speakers are usually placed closed to a wall these are front ported and would make a killer computer sound system. You would need to pair them with a high quality 100 watt per channel amp (no class D please, Salk speakers hate class D amps) because their sensitivity is only 84 dB.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157309.msg1683730#new

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Supercharged%20SongSurround

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2018, 11:58 pm »
100 watts for a desktop?  :scratch:

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2018, 12:50 am »
100 watts for a desktop?  :scratch:

OP said he wanted monitors, maybe he is mixing music.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2018, 11:56 am »
Salk speakers hate class D amplification?  As Salk uses a variety of drivers can you explain why this generalization would be accurate?

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2018, 04:29 pm »
Salk speakers hate class D amplification?  As Salk uses a variety of drivers can you explain why this generalization would be accurate?

In my house, on my HT2-TL's a well respected Class D amp (Itchy) had no magic, our Tucson Audiophile group agreed. The RAAL tweeter revealed the deficiencies of that class D amp.
Last week we had a meetup at another members house, everything was very high end including the speakers. A current class D amp (Scratchy) with the newest modules was playing and the music was flat, again none of that elusive magic. The music was clean but it didn't draw you in, the sweet spot was open all afternoon.

Names changed to protect the innocent.

maty

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2018, 04:41 pm »
I do not know how many times I have written it in this forum: OLD class D is inadvisable for tweeters.

Maybe the ribbon tweeters, having a more detailed sound, increases the problem. They have low impedance! That is a problem with OLD and/or cheap class D technology.

Avoid OLD and the cheap class D with the tweeters. Off course, I write about music and good recordings.

maty

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2018, 04:51 pm »
A current class D amp (Scratchy) with the newest modules was playing and the music was flat, again none of that elusive magic. The music was clean but it didn't draw you in, the sweet spot was open all afternoon.

Which?

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2018, 05:01 pm »
Which?

Answer will be sent in PM.

I would like this thread to stay on topic and not about amp design.