Phono preamp that Bob's Devices uses

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Phono preamp that Bob's Devices uses
« on: 5 Oct 2019, 08:00 pm »
Last time at Capitol Audio Fest, I and another person spoke with Bob himself and he recommended a particular phono preamp. I was about $1K and I believe was made in Canada. Any thoughts on what that was?

Any similar suggestions on a phono about $1K or less. The turntable is a Nottingham Analog Innerspace Jr with a Shelter cartridge.

findog3103

Re: Phono preamp that Bob's Devices uses
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2019, 11:48 pm »
It might have been a Don Sachs phono preamp. I know he recommends it.

Yomaha

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2019, 02:39 pm »
What’s the difference between an SUT like bob devices and a phono preamp?

GregC

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2019, 07:35 pm »
A MC step up transformer like Bob's Devices takes a low output signal from a MC cartridge and amplifies it to a MM level output.  A MC step up does not apply any RIAA equalization.

Some phono preamps have transformers inside that perform the same function as the Bob's Device or alternatively there there may be active circuitry to perform the same function. 

There are considerations to get a MC step that has the correct windings to match up with the internal impedance and output level for your particular MC cartridge. 

Yomaha

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2019, 10:59 pm »
Thx GregC. Are MC’s generally considered to have a better or at least different sonic signature than MM? What’s better/different about an MC to justify the potential “need” of additional equipment like SUT? 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2019, 11:53 pm »
Any suggestions for a solid state phono preamp at a $1K price point?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2019, 03:46 am »
Mid level Graham Slee is versatile and sounds pretty dang good, but it's English, not Canadian. 
These guys always seem to have good prices...  https://www.analogueseduction.net/phono-stages-phono-boards.html

GregC

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2019, 06:09 pm »
Thx GregC. Are MC’s generally considered to have a better or at least different sonic signature than MM? What’s better/different about an MC to justify the potential “need” of additional equipment like SUT?

When you introduce a MC step up it will ideally not have any signature and just amplify the signal from the MC cartridge. 

There are pros and cons.  The main pro (from my perspective) is the signal is amplified with the least amount of noise. 

The main con is you must use shielded interconnects from the MC step to the phono stage and a grounding wire (extra interconnects that are not needed if going direct to a phono stage).  Also you must carefully place a step up so it is not near other components that can introduce noise. 

I personally owned a Bob's Device Sky 20 and it was an excellent quality step up.  Bob is a good guy and makes excellent gear. 

I use a Modwright PH 9.0 phono stage that has excellent quality internal step up transformers.  Although the internal transformers work well, I use an external MC step up and I am very happy with the results.

Hope that helps.

mkane