NX-Series OB Subs and Sealed Subs

BrandonB

NX-Series OB Subs and Sealed Subs
« on: 27 Sep 2023, 11:17 pm »
Tell me what type of sub setup you have with your NX-series.  If you are running OB Subs with HT how does it sound compared to sealed subs or vice versa.   Do they hit as hard go as low.  Maybe you have both OB and Sealed subs. Let me know.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Series OB Subs and Sealed Subs
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2023, 11:27 pm »
I used to have my Super 7's downstairs in my HT setup.  They have the dual OB subs integrated in to them.  For music, they were fine.  For HT, I always felt like they were about to hit their limits on the really loud/crazy stuff like the new Dune.  I've recently changed my HT setup to the NX-Oticas with triple OB subs and never feels like I'm even getting close to their limits. 

I should note that I'm running a 2.0 HT setup, if I were doing 5.1 (or 9.1 or whatever), I would probably do the OB subs for the front 2 speakers (setting them to Large in the receiver) and then sealed subs for the .1 subwoofer output. 

BrandonB

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2023, 12:10 am »
I used to have my Super 7's downstairs in my HT setup.  They have the dual OB subs integrated in to them.  For music, they were fine.  For HT, I always felt like they were about to hit their limits on the really loud/crazy stuff like the new Dune.  I've recently changed my HT setup to the NX-Oticas with triple OB subs and never feels like I'm even getting close to their limits. 

I should note that I'm running a 2.0 HT setup, if I were doing 5.1 (or 9.1 or whatever), I would probably do the OB subs for the front 2 speakers (setting them to Large in the receiver) and then sealed subs for the .1 subwoofer output.
So are you running a high pass filter to your OB subs from your Preamp?  Are you just running the Theater through your DAC?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2023, 12:39 am »
I just have a digital out from my Roku and my 4k bluray player into my iFi iDSD Pro DAC.  Everything is set to 2 channel and I have a preamp with dual RCA outputs, one going to the mains and the other to the subs. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2023, 12:38 am »
Here's how I have my 4.1 system set up. For either an HT receiver or PrePro the L&R main preamp outputs are connected to one of the two channel preamp's inputs. This input is set for HT by-pass. The two channel preamp's outputs are connected to an in-line splitter/filter. From the splitter/filter, one leg of each channel is sent to the main speaker power amp and the other leg is sent to the OB sub's plate amp.

The main L&R speakers are set to Large/Full Range in the HT receiver/prepro. The subwoofer output of the HT receiver/prepro is connected to a separate sealed subwoofer designed for HT use.  This way, the OB subs are able to do what they do best and don't have to deal with the heavy hitting infrasonics that are in the LFE channel of movies and the sealed HT sub does what it does best, reproduce the infrasonics in the LFE channel. This gives HT performance that is the best of both worlds.

When it comes to the infasonics, the OB subs do not hit anywhere near as hard or go as low as the HT sub. My HT sub (one of Danny's single sealed servo subs in a sandbox enclosure) has solid output down to 10Hz which is palpable. This sub puts the gut punch into special effects that OB subs can't.

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2023, 12:56 pm »
I don't have NX (yet), but I have X-Statics, and in my HT setup I have both.  The OB subs (Double Trouble) are connected to the high-level coming from an Odyssey Kismet stereo amplifier and connected from there to the X-Statics.   Music sounds incredible as does movie soundtracks.   Then I have a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro sealed subs, one at the front of the room and one in reverse polarity at the back to add depth to the center and all of the surrounds / ceiling ATMOS speakers.  To top it all off, the theater seats have Soundshakers in them.  My goal was to recreate the Dolby Cinema experience, and everyone I've demoed the setup to is blown away.

BrandonB

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2023, 03:52 pm »
I don't have NX (yet), but I have X-Statics, and in my HT setup I have both.  The OB subs (Double Trouble) are connected to the high-level coming from an Odyssey Kismet stereo amplifier and connected from there to the X-Statics.   Music sounds incredible as does movie soundtracks.   Then I have a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro sealed subs, one at the front of the room and one in reverse polarity at the back to add depth to the center and all of the surrounds / ceiling ATMOS speakers.  To top it all off, the theater seats have Soundshakers in them.  My goal was to recreate the Dolby Cinema experience, and everyone I've demoed the setup to is blown away.

That sounds like quite a set up.  When you talk about your OB Subs set up high level is that the same as your mains connection coming  out of the preamp to a high pass filter and splitting between your x-statics and the OB Subs?  Are you wanting to replace the x-statics with NX-oticas or the NX-tremes?  Either way that is a killer system. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2023, 12:59 am »
That sounds like quite a set up.  When you talk about your OB Subs set up high level is that the same as your mains connection coming  out of the preamp to a high pass filter and splitting between your x-statics and the OB Subs?  Are you wanting to replace the x-statics with NX-oticas or the NX-tremes?  Either way that is a killer system.

They're connected directly to the sub amps.  And, yes, I eventually want to upgrade to NX-Otica, but I'm waiting for the new center channel to match them.  I'll also need to talk to Danny about how well the X-On Walls will blend.  It will be a ways off, though.   I'm still recovering financially from building this thing in 2021.   :lol: