Tannoy Kensington SE.... Opinions please....

capwkidd

Tannoy Kensington SE.... Opinions please....
« on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:24 pm »
I was at The Show in Newport this past weekend, I had a chance to listen to the Tannoy Yorkminster..... After thinking about their sound for a few days, I wonder what the Tannoy Kensington SE's sound like in comparison?

richidoo

Re: Tannoy Kensington SE.... Opinions please....
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2011, 03:08 pm »
I heard the Tannoy Definition 8 at AXpONA Atlanta, it was very neutral, natural and detailed, decent bass extension. My favorite speaker at that show. The coax arrangement really works well. Never heard Kensington.

nickd

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2011, 04:58 pm »
I have heard the difference between the Westminster Royal and the Yorkminister. with the bigger cabinet and driver you get a lot more "tactile" power response. You can feel the mid bass vibrations like no other speaker I have heard with the big Westministers. I imagine the difference is simular between the Kensington and the Yorkminster. Just a little less ultimate resolution and power but a simular sound quality.

Val

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:58 pm »
I agree with "bigger is better" in this example. I would also investigate the DC10T, which should give closer to Yorkminster bass than the Kensington and I believe is also less expensive, but I'm not sure. Check Hi-Fi World's Noel Keywood raving about it in his November 2010 review. I have never read a more positive review ever. And it only needs 20W of SE tube power! Also check Alan Sircom's positive review in Hi-Fi+, right here. I also think its modern looks are killer compared to the Prestige range.

capwkidd

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2011, 05:41 pm »
Thanks Val, does not appear Noel's article is available online... But the other article is interesting.... I need to get to a Tannoy store to check them out....
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm by capwkidd »

Douger

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm »
Has anyone heard the Canterbury SE's as well? I have SRM 15X monitors and 12" Monitor Golds in Altec-Lansing Santana cabinets. I have been planning to build 200L cabs for the MG's, and already have the Birch plywood, but have not had time to start construction.
Tonight I am putting in an order for Canterbury's because I love how 15" Tannoys load my living room, but I need the refinement of the MG's and expect that the Prestige series will either improve on it or come close enough to help me conquer audiophilia nervosa...

Thanks! :D

Douger

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2011, 12:59 am »
BTW, in response to your original question, the Tannoy Dual Concentric family is quite consistent. The Yorkminster is a 12" driver in a
200L cabinet, and the Kensington is a 10" driver in a 105L cabinet. In a smaller room or closer, the bass would be quite satisfactory
while the Yorkminster would fill a larger area more effectively. The mids and highs will be essentially the same.
Good Listening,
Douger

Val

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2011, 06:05 am »
Both the Yorkminster and DC10T work best in large rooms, at least 30 feet long. You can plug the DC10T's ports with foam bungs for smaller rooms, but the bass will still be very strong and will go down to 20Hz!

capwkidd

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2011, 05:54 am »
I have had a chance to heard the West's, York's and Ken's....

The bass output at LEAST doubles as you go up the line. The mid/top end sounded much better, I think, on the York's and West's.... the Ken's seemed pretty weak in the bottom end, unless you put a an amp with a strong bottom end on it, behind it (like a good digital amp)...