X-Statik vs NX-Otica for two channel listening

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: X-Statik vs NX-Otica for two channel listening
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2021, 06:29 pm »
Well I certainly trust your assessment of them Tyson. I wish I had heard the Spatial's in a better room! I went there with the intention to listen to them and likely purchase them - but I walked away really disappointed. I was scratching my head over the room layout. I suppose he was trying to get as much separation from the speakers as possible but it didn't seem like it was doing them any favors.

Yeah, people are weird.  Sometimes they make very questionable decisions, lol.  You never want to cram any speaker in a corner, but that's especially bad for OB speakers of any kind.  They need room to breath.  3 feet is good but 5 or 6 feet is better. 

When I was deciding what to get for my upstairs system, I seriously considered the NX speakers because they are the only thing I'd ever heard that was in the same class as the Super 7's downstairs in the dedicated listening room.  Then I heard a couple of speakers that used the AMT tweeter with a large midrange driver and was really impressed.  So I was going to DIY something myself.  But then I saw the X3 (pictures) and realized I could never match the cabinet work that Clayton had produced, nor it's elegant simplicity.  And thus the X3 won out because it looks amazing in person, fits my overall decor perfectly and has sound quality in the same ballpark as the NX speakers. 

Having said all that, if my Super 7's were to blow up for some reason and I had to replace them, I'd get the NX-Otica no doubt.  The performance Danny is able to get out of that NQ midrange driver is incredible.  Now that the Neo10's are not longer available, the NQ driver takes it's place as best midrange driver on the planet, and rather easily, IMO.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2021, 06:31 pm »
I need to poke Ron at some point to listen to the X3 towers sometime.

I enjoyed the M3 Sapphires, but i didn't care for them when driven by the NAD M33. Far too clinical and even harsh in the treble at times, especially tweeter on-axis, i think with something warmer, more relaxed sounding, like the Hegel H390, would probably lend itself to a better balance in tone.

Chops

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2021, 08:51 pm »
Still pretty much useless answers as for any kind of comparison between the two.

subsonic1050

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2021, 09:32 pm »
Still pretty much useless answers as for any kind of comparison between the two.

My experience with the X-Statik was that it was more of a "fun" audiophile speaker. The 2 enclosed woofers provide a lot of thumping bass for a speaker of this size. As such, the bass is not as clean and tight as it is on the NX series - but has more bass without a subwoofer. The mids and highs were very clear. Imaging was excellent - in fact the imaging was the best I had heard until the NX-Tremes. The highs were the weak point IMO. Initially they were quite harsh, but they settled in and sounded very good without blowing me away. That's not to say they weren't good, they just are the weak point in these speakers (for me). The mids were vibrant and had excellent tone. Everything in the midrange sounded big, open, and beautiful. The soundstage was big, but a little recessed. Singers often sounded like they were 20 or 30 feet away rather than 10 feet away or standing right in front of me. Overall I would comfortably pit the X-statiks against speakers in the 5-10k range.

The NX-Treme's (and by extension most of the traits should be similar to the Otica's) are a different animal. Whereas the soundstage on the X-statiks is big, the soundstage of the NX-Treme's is huge. Absolutely massive. The sound envelops you. They are infinitely open sounding - never do you feel like anything is coming from a box. The imaging is absolutely pinpoint. Try listening to the track "The Holy Men" by the World Saxophone Quartet. If you can't point to a specific point in space where each of the 4 saxophones are coming from, then you don't have the imaging that the NX speakers produce. The bass is extremely fast and tight. For me, it doesn't hit as hard as the x-statiks but its faster and cleaner. I have subs for the stuff below 50 or 60 Hz anyway. The highs are gorgeous. No harshness right from new for me and only got sweeter as they opened up. The mids go from beautiful on the x-statik's to gorgeous. Lush, vibrant - tons of layering. Also, these speakers are the only speakers I've ever heard which can produce "compression". Listen to the song "slip" by Deadmau5. There is a note in this song that repeats. If you don't feel like you're physically being punched in the face then your speakers don't produce compression. The layering is incredible. Electronic music is something I don't normally listen to - and I only enjoy it on these speakers. It doesn't captivate me on any other system I've heard. For me, these speakers elevate every single recording. They show you the flaws, but at the same time they make it better.

I don't know what else to say - the X-statiks are great for what they are but the NX speakers immediately put you in contention with systems costing hundreds of thousands with just the speakers and maybe 10k worth of front end gear in a decent room.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2021, 01:46 am »

As are comments like this.

Perhaps you could point out details you’re familiar with from certain recordings.  Then someone could comment on how they perceive those details.  I mean ultimately this is all subjective and we all have different associated gear and ears. 

Watch the New Record Day video reviews of the NX series.  Watch and read Tyson’s reviews. 

You’re basically going to get the same comments. 

X is great and excellent for the money. 

NX is outstanding and competes with the best out there.  Is it worth an extra $1500?  Definitely.

kickngas

« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2021, 02:15 am »
And there you go...it IS worth the extra $1500!
Thanks to everyone for the replies and insights, I placed my Otica order this afternoon. Looking forward to hearing what they can do.

RonP

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2021, 02:05 pm »
Having said all that, if my Super 7's were to blow up for some reason

I woke up this morning thinking about this post... It wasn't that long ago I was talking to Danny face to face at LSAF '19 in his room downstairs.

"They're $6500. They come in flatpacks ready to go!". (paraphrasing from memory)

:x :o :duh:

Had I only known. :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2021, 03:47 pm »
I woke up this morning thinking about this post... It wasn't that long ago I was talking to Danny face to face at LSAF '19 in his room downstairs.

"They're $6500. They come in flatpacks ready to go!". (paraphrasing from memory)

:x :o :duh:

Had I only known. :lol:

It's true, the Super 7's ARE that good.  Especially if you listen to mostly classical and jazz.  But the NX-Otica gets very close, and might even be better if you mostly listen to rock/pop. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2021, 04:57 pm »
And the Super 7s were originally slated to retail for $20,000!  :o

My total investment in them came to around $5,000 give or take. 

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2021, 07:07 pm »

My guess is that if a retail company came out with them today, it'd be $30-$40k, especially with all ultra-premium parts and wiring. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2021, 07:16 pm »

And if I had discovered GR-Research just a few months sooner, I would have them. So bummed.

Chops

« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2021, 10:22 pm »
Just so you all know. I wasn't asking and complaining for my own benefit. I've already gone through this conversion a couple years ago with Danny. I was making my posts in order to get people to be a bit more detailed to help the OP of this thread to make an informed purchase that he wouldn't be worried about or regret.

When the time comes, after I do room treatments, I'll be going with either the Otica's or X-Treme's. Then infinite baffle subs in the ceiling.

Tyson

« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm »
You’ll be better off without the IB subs.  I heard 2 different setups of them and they were underwhelming.  In fact, now that I think about it, they sounded actually bad.