OB Speakers

minatophase3

OB Speakers
« on: 29 Jul 2021, 05:59 pm »
Hi, my name is Tim and I just joined Audio Circle.

Recently I have been introduced to the Spatial OB speakers and have been doing as much research as I can online about them.  Looking forward to going through the threads to see if I can gather some new information.

I spoke with Clayton yesterday and will hopefully be able to visit him and hear a demo when I am in SLC next month.  I have never heard an OB speaker so I am excited to hear what they sound like.

My current speakers are the Dynaudio Special 40's and I really like them, will be interesting to hear the difference.

-Tim

doggie

Re: OB Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2021, 11:32 am »

Recently I have been introduced to the Spatial OB speakers and have been doing as much research as I can online about them.  Looking forward to going through the threads to see if I can gather some new information.

I spoke with Clayton yesterday and will hopefully be able to visit him and hear a demo when I am in SLC next month.  I have never heard an OB speaker so I am excited to hear what they sound like.

My current speakers are the Dynaudio Special 40's and I really like them, will be interesting to hear the difference.

-Tim

Welcome. I recently bought a pair of X5's. The tricky thing is that you will not really know how good they are until you get them into your own space with your own electronics. If you are having any issues with room interaction and you mainly listen to music from your listening position, as opposed to walking around for background listening, I recommend the X series due to the Heil transducers with their more narrow dispersion and remarkable clarity.

minatophase3

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2021, 04:42 pm »
Welcome. I recently bought a pair of X5's. The tricky thing is that you will not really know how good they are until you get them into your own space with your own electronics. If you are having any issues with room interaction and you mainly listen to music from your listening position, as opposed to walking around for background listening, I recommend the X series due to the Heil transducers with their more narrow dispersion and remarkable clarity.

Thanks for the reply.  I am a bit concerned about the X5's clarity as I have heard some other speakers that offer a lot of clarity and they sounded a bit clinical to me.  I was watching New Record Day's video about them and initially he seemed to like the M3 Sapphires better and cited the X5's as almost being too much.  The X5's do look amazing though, hope I will be able to hear the differences between the two.

franSSS

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2021, 05:43 pm »

Welcome Tim

Please go prepared and give us some of your impressions? Will be great to read for us who can not venture there.

minatophase3

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2021, 05:59 pm »
Welcome Tim

Please go prepared and give us some of your impressions? Will be great to read for us who can not venture there.
Will do my best.  Clayton said he may only have a pair of the X3 Sapphires for demo, think he said they are waiting for some parts to come in. 

timing3435

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2021, 08:41 pm »

-Tim
   Never going back to box speakers. Started out with the M3's and then moved to the X3's. I just cannot see dealing with restrained bass again. The X3's bring detail to the top end that is hard to beat and then combined with a bass that is full and detailed. Very, very happy in my journey into the Spatial Audio Universe. Hard to beat Clayton as support! Welcome

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2021, 09:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I am a bit concerned about the X5's clarity as I have heard some other speakers that offer a lot of clarity and they sounded a bit clinical to me.  I was watching New Record Day's video about them and initially he seemed to like the M3 Sapphires better and cited the X5's as almost being too much.  The X5's do look amazing though, hope I will be able to hear the differences between the two.

I think of them as end game speakers so you will hear whatever is fed into them. If your system is bright or a recording is bright you will hear that. This is the Audiophools dilemma. Eventually you will be restrained by the recording quality. For a lot of us it is hard to settle for a system that makes everything just sound good. We always press for more until we have a hard time finding recordings that we can enjoy. I think that if you use tubes with the X series you will find the sweet spot. They are also a lot more efficient (97db) so that opens up access to a lot more amps.

minatophase3

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2021, 10:00 pm »
I think of them as end game speakers so you will hear whatever is fed into them. If your system is bright or a recording is bright you will hear that. This is the Audiophools dilemma. Eventually you will be restrained by the recording quality. For a lot of us it is hard to settle for a system that makes everything just sound good. We always press for more until we have a hard time finding recordings that we can enjoy. I think that if you use tubes with the X series you will find the sweet spot. They are also a lot more efficient (97db) so that opens up access to a lot more amps.

I already have my system in place, don't think I am going to be changing out any gear in the near future except possibly speakers.  I know if is a fine balance between more detail/clarity and being able to listen to music you want to hear.  Knowing how to stop just short of crossing the line is the hard part.

I have a solid state amp and a tube preamp, love the sound of those tubes! 

sumoking

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:47 am »

Not clinical at all, the Beyma AMT is top notch.
I am not a fan of clinical sounding speakers and this speaker does not fit in that category at all.
Getting them in your house during the trail period will prove that quickly...
Hope my video helps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VeZOdatao&ab_channel=AudioTalk

Cheers...

minatophase3

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2021, 05:30 am »
Not clinical at all, the Beyma AMT is top notch.
I am not a fan of clinical sounding speakers and this speaker does not fit in that category at all.
Getting them in your house during the trail period will prove that quickly...
Hope my video helps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VeZOdatao&ab_channel=AudioTalk

Cheers...
Glad to hear that, and thanks for the video!  I can't wait to hear them and see how the compare to my Dynaudio Special 40's.  I have passed the largest hurdle, my wife says she likes the look of them!  I already have my SP 40's pulled out 4 feet from the wall so won't have to fight that battle :-)

sumoking

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2021, 04:29 pm »
These speakers will be a lot different from the 40's...
Make sure you play with positioning and don't be afraid to toe them in. The further away they are the better. Mine are 9-10' apart which is what my room offers.
Let us know what you think  :D

Cheers
Sumo

minatophase3

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2021, 05:26 pm »
How are the X3 Sapphires and X5's for low level listening?  I tend to listen to most music at moderate to lower volumes to keep the family off my back.  When they are gone I like to turn it up louder, but the majority of the time I have to keep it reasonable. 

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2021, 03:13 pm »
They play fine at a lower level but come to life at mid levels, they give you a "live sound" in-room experience at times. They are what the recording is and the gear before it, no bass-heavy on every song, much like Electrostatic and Panels speakers in that sense, on some recordings you say where is the bottom end and then boom on the next disc you get hit in the chest with bottom end power. Which to me is how a good speaker should be, that is not adding to the recording but play it back at what it is being feed.   

minatophase3

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2021, 03:52 pm »
They play fine at a lower level but come to life at mid levels, they give you a "live sound" in-room experience at times. They are what the recording is and the gear before it, no bass-heavy on every song, much like Electrostatic and Panels speakers in that sense, on some recordings you say where is the bottom end and then boom on the next disc you get hit in the chest with bottom end power. Which to me is how a good speaker should be, that is not adding to the recording but play it back at what it is being feed.   
sounds very promising, can't wait to hear them!

franSSS

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2021, 05:37 pm »

.-Tim

I am in the same boat. I too have never hear OB, so i am sitting and biting my nails. Hopefully i wont cry after getting them. But somehow i do not think so. I am really getting very anxious to hear them for myself.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2021, 02:10 am »
One of the big differences between box speakers and OB speakers is that box speakers tend to push the sound toward you, while OB speakers have a deeper soundstage with lots more happening behind the speakers.

minatophase3

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2021, 02:36 am »
One of the big differences between box speakers and OB speakers is that box speakers tend to push the sound toward you, while OB speakers have a deeper soundstage with lots more happening behind the speakers.
My friend has some Maggies that sound great.  Would it be safe to say they have a similar sound to the Maggies, but with more bass?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2021, 02:40 am »
My friend has some Maggies that sound great.  Would it be safe to say they have a similar sound to the Maggies, but with more bass?

Yep, pretty safe.  And much better dynamics.

sockpit

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2021, 07:01 pm »
But be patient with the break in process . . .  You may want to cry in the first few days.  I did.  No regrets 1.5 years later, though. :lol:

franSSS

« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2021, 12:36 pm »
But be patient with the break in process . . .  You may want to cry in the first few days.  I did.  No regrets 1.5 years later, though. :lol:

Now you are crying with happiness?  :D