LTB: M4 Triode (variation differences?)

deetothevee

LTB: M4 Triode (variation differences?)
« on: 27 Jul 2021, 01:26 pm »
Hello all!

I've really had my eyes set on the Spatial Audio speakers. I can't wait to try them in my condo that has given me a lot of room issues. Everyone raves about these open baffle designs and I'm totally bought into trying them and setting and forgetting finally.

The only thing is it's currently out of my budget so I'm trying to find a used pair of M4's, particularly the previous version. I noticed there are a few versions. How would you explain the differences.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

ric

Re: LTB: M4 Triode (variation differences?)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2021, 01:32 pm »
Not sure if I can help, I assume you're talking about the older M4 (triode). I have the M3's, not to be confused with the M3 Sapphires, although it's confusing for me! I believe the triodes were updated from the M3/M4 models because customers had problems with amp compatibility. I believe they also had an upgraded cap that gave them better sound quality.
There! Just found a review that had numerous versions! As for me, I ended up upgrading the caps in the M3's, I believe that was there weakest link.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/10/25/spatial-audio-lab-m3-sapphire-loudspeaker-review/

franSSS

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2021, 02:08 pm »
Hello all!

I've really had my eyes set on the Spatial Audio speakers. I can't wait to try them in my condo that has given me a lot of room issues. Everyone raves about these open baffle designs and I'm totally bought into trying them and setting and forgetting finally.

I think the word on the street is beg, borrow or steal and get the new version. :-)

catluck

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2021, 02:36 pm »
I owned the M1's - Clayton's early and best platform for the M series. I then upgraded to the better horn and x-over.  No matter what, I found bass always deficient and anemic while upper-frequency detail was just totally MIA.  BUT, the mid-range, especially horns (I tend to listen to jazz downstairs), coupled with my room in an amazing and really satisfying fashion allowing me to keep the early M1's for several years. But now, owning the M3's THERE IS NO COMPARISON.  The M3's are VASTLY superior.  Upper-frequency detail is splendid with tight, tuneful, textured, pitch distinctive, and rich bass blooming into the room like no other speak I've owned.  You would be well served to save for the newest version M3 as the older models are simply no longer representative of Clayton's work/ideas.  Not even close.  IMO, you're throwing out $$$ purchasing obsolete product. And, if you're not happy with the older product you might be inclined, falsely and unfairly, to discount Clayton's current products.  That would be a tragedy because I don't think you'll find anything, near the M3's price capable of comparable performance. FWIW.