x-statik crossover wiring

Quive

x-statik crossover wiring
« on: 6 Jul 2021, 10:58 pm »
I have the x-static kit of crossover parts with no circuit board.
I have no idea about electronic circuit diagram and how to wire it all together
Help !!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: x-statik crossover wiring
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2021, 01:30 pm »
There are AC members that will assemble it for a small fee.  Call GR for a recommendation.  These are great speakers for under $1K.  You'll be very pleased with them. 

Quive

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2021, 02:23 pm »
Thanks, im in Ireland with the parts, so not that easy - anyway I think ill manage to do it myself.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2021, 03:05 pm »
You'll have no problems.  Draw it out on paper, place the components on the drawing, connect the components with alligator test leads, connect the speakers, turn the volume up slowly.   :thumb:

subsonic1050

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2021, 03:27 pm »
Which part of crossover assembly is concerning you - is it the physical assembly (twisting parts together and soldering) or is it understanding the schematic and which parts go where? If the former, then watch Danny's crossover assembly videos for the mini or XLS Encore, if the latter, then check out my XStatik build - it shows a completed crossover which should help you get an idea of what goes where. If it is still unclear let me know and I can try to help.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2021, 07:02 pm »
Feel free to DM me or send me an email to
hobbsmeerkat@gmail.com and I can walk you thru the process.  :thumb:
Hobbs

Quive

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2021, 09:52 pm »
thanks everyone, since my original post on the 6th July I have had help from Danny and a friend here nearby, Danny approved this attached layout, to go under the base of the cabinet but a Dannys recomendation
 of the vertical inductor coil has scuppered that plan  :D   Im now making three separate boards to go in through the speaker hole is the usual way.  I haven't soldered them yet, my little iron is too weak !

Quive

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2021, 11:27 pm »

Skilly

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2021, 12:43 am »
Darn shame you misspelled the name of the company that designed the speaker. Also, turned off the comments.

subsonic1050

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:24 am »
Darn shame you misspelled the name of the company that designed the speaker. Also, turned off the comments.

Yeah that is a shame. I do however, like the look of the cabinet and the channels to hide the wiring. I'm not sure about the fins on the top, but otherwise I like the aesthetic. Just please don't make it out of particle board like the rendering appears.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2021, 03:13 am »
I like the ribbing across the top of the lower cabinet.  That’s unique.  Ideally all of the woofer holes should be radiused on the rear side of the baffle.  The only detail missing is the removable bottom panel for the crossover. 

subsonic1050

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2021, 03:32 am »
I like the ribbing across the top of the lower cabinet.  That’s unique.  Ideally all of the woofer holes should be radiused on the rear side of the baffle.  The only detail missing is the removable bottom panel for the crossover.

I think something that could be cool is if the ribs were different shapes - like a parametric wall art type of pattern. Could make it look super high end. Also, I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate some quadratic diffusion into those ribs. Calculating well depths would be challenging since the depth varies from front to back with the angled top.

Quive

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:42 am »

I cant believe I got the spelling wrong!!  all fixed now, have a look - comments turned on also

https://youtu.be/R389WYYgSLQ
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2021, 10:55 am by Quive »

Quive

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:46 am »
Yeah that is a shame. I do however, like the look of the cabinet and the channels to hide the wiring. I'm not sure about the fins on the top, but otherwise I like the aesthetic. Just please don't make it out of particle board like the rendering appears.

The actual texture map for high density fibreboard is almost plain brown and could be mistaken for a paint finish. the texture i used is more obviously not paint but definitely is high density 18mm HDF to give a very dead sound, little resonance

Quive

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:49 am »

they are radiused at the back if you look again  :) 
yes, the crossover is a head scratcher

Quive

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:55 am »
I think something that could be cool is if the ribs were different shapes - like a parametric wall art type of pattern. Could make it look super high end. Also, I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate some quadratic diffusion into those ribs. Calculating well depths would be challenging since the depth varies from front to back with the angled top.

My design ethic tends to go for a more simple aesthetic, the more you add random patterns the quicker you grow tired of it. The space between the ribs could have your parametric shapes to break up the sound, that would be cool. maybe not MDF, use a sound absorbing thick felt in there. Either way the plain ribs are better acoustically below the open baffle drivers than the flat box panel.

Quive

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2021, 10:54 am »
updated video here on YouTube

https://youtu.be/R389WYYgSLQ

AlexH

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2021, 11:26 am »
I like it!!!

subsonic1050

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2021, 04:48 pm »