Furniture Grade Stand

Doublej

Furniture Grade Stand
« on: 15 Feb 2021, 01:58 pm »
Does anyone make a stand with a veneer finish on the shelves? I am looking for something one step up from Monoprice and Audio Advisor. The only thing I have found is the Salamander Archetype series but that is

Does anyone know if the Monoprice stand in Maple is veneer or just some sort of covering on the MDF, though I am not a fan of the sliver posts.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39166

Phil A

Re: Furniture Grade Stand
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2021, 02:14 pm »
According to one review on Amazon (I've never seen the stands in person) on January 27, 2021, it is printed MDF - https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Tier-Audio-Stand-Components/dp/B07Z5H2B8V/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=monoprice+audio+stand&qid=1613398303&sr=8-1

"This is such a great rack for the price. Note: the maple version is not actual maple but it is printed MDF. I wish they have mentioned that in the description. Nevertheless, it is still an awesome rack for the price."

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2021, 02:20 pm »
Check out TimberNation.  They can do custom units and if you're careful on how you order the price can be quite reasonable.  Everything they do is made out of solid wood.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2021, 04:23 pm »
Prepare to budget a good chunk of money for "furniture grade" stands. I've been looking for a stand, too, but making my own offers the best deal. Just need some butcher blocks or plywood and extruded aluminum for the frame. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-new-diy-audio-stand.273419/

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:25 pm »
Do some research on what you would like to hold your gear. Make a sketch and find a local cabinet maker to build what you want.
Get a quote and you may find you can get what you want for less and will fit your gear and space better.

I went to a local guy that builds hi end kitchen cabinets when I wanted a riser for my Salamander Synergy cabinet.
If I would have known he was local and the level of skills I would never have bought the Salamander cab.
I liked his work so much I had him do a cab for my guitar amps. He built both using maple plywood, including paint for less than 1/4 of what the Salamander cab cost.

You can have it veneered, painted or whatever. Think about access and ease of placing gear when designing. Also consider the weight you will add with your gear.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:46 pm »
Do some research on what you would like to hold your gear. Make a sketch and find a local cabinet maker to build what you want.
Get a quote and you may find you can get what you want for less and will fit your gear and space better.

Great idea. Custom made. Lower cost. No shipping costs.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:46 pm »
I found a local builder who built me three racks to my specifications for less than Timbernation charges and the build quality was furniture grade not Ikea-like from Timbernation. I kept the price down by finishing the racks myself with Osmo Polyx-Oil. Osmo was easy to use and made for a fun project.

I found the builder by going to the local store that sold woodworking equipment and asking if they knew anyone who would build a rack for me. The builder eventually made three racks for me. The first rack was maple butcher block but I moved and it no longer fit my decor and I was adding a second system. The second two racks were solid Claro walnut 1.625" thick and stunning. I have had three people ask for his contact information. They see the racks and want one for themselves.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2021, 06:27 pm »
I'm considering buying three of these shelves and taking it to a local builder to add legs: 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HARDWOOD-REFLECTIONS-Saman-4-ft-L-x-18-in-D-x-1-5-in-T-Butcher-Block-Countertop-in-UV-Coating-with-Live-Edge-1524EGBTSAMUV48/314672612?MERCH=REC-_-pipinstock-_-300688696-_-314672612-_-N&

Perfect look, length, and size for my room. It would replace a glass and metal TV stand I'm using now that's over 20 years old.

Bob2

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2021, 07:47 pm »
Early, those shelves would look great for your project..

Another source for wood, https://www.bellforestproducts.com/
They sell more species and most is not standard size although will do that for you if needed.
Very fast shipping too. Bought the Nicaraguan Rosewood for my last project.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2021, 09:09 pm »
Bob,

Thanks for the link. I am not in the market but I did have fun "window shopping". Lots of beautiful wood to choose from.

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2021, 03:23 am »
I'm considering buying three of these shelves and taking it to a local builder to add legs: 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HARDWOOD-REFLECTIONS-Saman-4-ft-L-x-18-in-D-x-1-5-in-T-Butcher-Block-Countertop-in-UV-Coating-with-Live-Edge-1524EGBTSAMUV48/314672612?MERCH=REC-_-pipinstock-_-300688696-_-314672612-_-N&

Perfect look, length, and size for my room. It would replace a glass and metal TV stand I'm using now that's over 20 years old.

Early B. This is a really cool idea and I could use hairpin legs. Have you found any other options like this live edge piece?

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2021, 03:43 am »
Early B. This is a really cool idea and I could use hairpin legs. Have you found any other options like this live edge piece?

Nope. Lots of other options out there if you want to cut them to size. An 18" depth is sufficient for large amps.

Jstower

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2021, 04:22 am »

mr bill , if you google Schroeder hardwoods, this place has tons of cool live edge slabs. I have not been there, but the next time I head to Chicago area I will check this place out. You can also check on F book market place  there are several places. Good luck

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2021, 05:23 am »
I never purchased anything from this company but I would love to..
It looks like they have some really nice stuff.

https://butcherblockacoustics.com

Bob2

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2021, 10:58 am »
For something a bit different, https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/audio-furniture

They also produce unique Horn speakers and amps.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:46 pm »
Gentlemen, please, be mindful that this is the Cheap&Cheerful  circle.  Thousands of dollars for equipment racks are not in the budget for a thousand dollar system.   So either we go back to Home Depot shelving with glass blocks as risers, or suggest a circle where this discussion can be moved to.  Should we have an Accessories circle?   

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:52 pm »
Gentlemen, please, be mindful that this is the Cheap&Cheerful  circle.  Thousands of dollars for equipment racks are not in the budget for a thousand dollar system.   So either we go back to Home Depot shelving with glass blocks as risers, or suggest a circle where this discussion can be moved to.  Should we have an Accessories circle?

This discussion definitely doesn't belong in this circle since the OP is seeking a "furniture grade" stand. That implies real wood and a relatively high cost.

Bob2

« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2021, 02:20 pm »

Ooopps... Thanks for catching that.
I think an Accessories Circle is a great idea!